Europa League Quarters 10/11 August

woke up this morning and see they got another penalty, plus ça change.....

if every a competition was misnamed it is the CHAMPIONS League. What utter bollocks to call it that.
This, my friend, is so that any failing "history" or "big" clubs can have their ego stroked by association with the word champion, it keeps all the plastic armchair fans happy. As an example, when the rags won the league cup a few seasons ago, they were continuously referred to as "efl champions" as it was called then, while we are merely carabou cup winners. When the media supply your free advertising, every little helps, it is organised and clear.

VAR did make a difference, as it overruled their offside goal, which the linesman on the night failed to put his flag up for; that goal would have stood without VAR.
As such, the VAR process itself is the wrong target, and I would still say VAR has improved matters on balance.
The problems we still have come down to individuals, and as other posters have said, the phrase “clear and obvious”. For their penalty there was contact, minimal and not enough for him to go down, so VAR would never overrule. The problem was the refs decision. I wasn’t watching very closely for the whole 2 hours but thought apart from that penalty decision the referee had a decent match.

VAR did make a difference, as it overruled their offside goal, which the linesman on the night failed to put his flag up for; that goal would have stood without VAR.
As such, the VAR process itself is the wrong target, and I would still say VAR has improved matters on balance.
The problems we still have come down to individuals, and as other posters have said, the phrase “clear and obvious”. For their penalty there was contact, minimal and not enough for him to go down, so VAR would never overrule. The problem was the refs decision. I wasn’t watching very closely for the whole 2 hours but thought apart from that penalty decision the referee had a decent match.

I largely agree with you, however the clear and obvious requirement appears to be applied on a whim. Prime example being the age taken to disallow the Messi goal for handball at the weekend, if it takes over 4 minutes to determine there has been an infringement, then in no way can it be classes as clear and obvious.

Reactions: nmc
I largely agree with you, however the clear and obvious requirement appears to be applied on a whim. Prime example being the age taken to disallow the Messi goal for handball at the weekend, if it takes over 4 minutes to determine there has been an infringement, then in no way can it be classes as clear and obvious.

Agreed pal.

if ever a competition was misnamed it is the CHAMPIONS League. What utter bollocks to call it that.

all league title winners only now that would be a competition worth its name champions league

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.