Evans to Reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That hasn't stopped the Portuguese or the Spanish teams doing well in the UYL. Seems like a poor excuse, Bayern probably just don't have the depth of youth talent that other teams do.
It's more to do with the fact that FC Bayern II is a mixture of actual youth players and experienced pros. They don't actually have that many youth prospects, the majority are either out on loan or in that side. For example they have a striker (Karl Heinz Lappe) who played in the Second division last year and now plays for the Bayern Amateure side as they call them - He's around 30. Schweinsteiger's brother used too, or still does, play for them. They are almost a separate entity.

Thus, when they come to play in the UYL they have a mixture of the youth players from the second team and are on the cusp of the first team, like Sinan Kurt and Gianluca Gaudino last season; then you have the very young players from the actual younger teams. So, as a result they have a collection of players rather than a team and are rubbish.

The same applies to Dortmund and Monchengladbach, and Schalke to some extent. Christopher Wetklo plays for their second team; although they do place some significance in having a largely young second side.

However, many German sides have been moving towards our system recently more out of necessity really. For example, Bochum had to fold their second side because of financial troubles and as such their young players are either loaned out or get a go in the first team; this seasons example for them is Onur Bulut. Whereas others such as the larger clubs have sent a lot of their players on loan for higher experience, as playing in the Regionalliga Bayern (4th tier) or whatever local league their second side plays in isn't as good as these players are capable of - thats what has happened with Hojbjerg at Bayern. But they've also been using complicated loan moves, Moritz Leitner went to VfB Stuttgart on loan for two seasons and an example at the team I'm a member of Thomas Pledl has gone on loan at second tier Sandhausen for a year and a half from the Bundesliga Ingolstadt. They even use deals involving sales, such as Kurt to Hertha the other week and Bittencourt to Hannover from Dortmund; quite similar to how Barcelona operate.

Sorry that seemed to wonder from FC Bayern II to how German teams develop talent, but I got going and couldn't stop! ;)

Shame that Evans doesn't seem to have made it. I understand that the academy is now a part of our business plan to produce players good enough for selling on if not good enough for the first team, but we need to start showing that the academy can find good English/local players good enough to make the grade and get into the first team squad (I know, easier said than done) but with teams like Everton, Southampton and Spurs finding young English talent, that is good enough to play PL football, then surely City with the stature we have should be able too as well.

No, it will only be very talented players that make that jump to our first team. They can obviously see that Iheanacho has that, but if any others make it I think it will be from the younger groups. Evans is 21 now so won't reach that level.
There seems to be a view that if Guardiola was here more players would get a chance, I'm not sure, he expects very high standards and would only play players he thought were good enough, like Busquets, but who has he brought through at Bayern ? He's gone out and bought young players like Comar and Costa, because he thought they were better than anybody at Bayern.
If he's definitely coming I think it's unlikely he hasn't had a look at our squads and spoken to Txiki about who to release and who has a chance, he's not one to leave it to chance and risk letting somebody he wants here, go. I think there are going to be some unhappy posters if the expect Guardiola to suddenly fill the first team squad with EDS players apart from Iheanacho I can only see Denayer and Maffeo, possibly Gunn from the older group getting into the first team squad.
Angelino?

Whilst the sentiment of Evans coming through every level of City's youth academy is great, I don't think we can let sentiment get in the way of talent. At 21 if a player is good enough, he'd be in the first team, look at Sterling and Kelechi (and the likes of Dele Alli, John Stones etc. at other clubs). I hope Evans goes on to have a wonderful career, and if he does prove one day he can do it at the best level, I'd welcome him back with open arms. But at 21 he needs to be playing regularly for the sake of his career, and if City can't guarantee him that, cause he isn't good enough, then I'm happy to let him move elsewhere and further his career. He'll always be a blue.

This is the best move for all involved. I think he's a very good player and will do well at Reading, but he isn't going to play with any regularity for City so he had to leave for his own sake. I'm sure City included a significant sell-on fee percentage and could take him back at a good rate down the line if there was interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.