Everton thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting a good squad together now, their spending slips under the radar as well though. Spent shitloads these last few years

I was initially indifferent to Everton in the 70s, hated them in the 80s for the racism amongst many (not all) of their fans ("Everton are white") and it being a more tricky away trip than Anfield in my experience. I met an Evertonian at Uni in the 80s - still a good friend of mine despite him knowing what I thought of his club. He ended up bring my best man when I got married. Like most Evertonians, he's decent and grounded. So, yes, I'm pleased for all decent Evertonians. Their fans as a whole have been on a journey. When I saw that banner on the Gwladys Street end saying "No Al Razzismo" superimposed on a picture of Moises Kean, that meant a great deal and spoke volumes. So, if City can't win the League I'd be delighted for my mate their long suffering fans (sharing a City with them isn't easy) and I've always liked Ancelotti since he was a player.

Last edited:
Getting a good squad together now, their spending slips under the radar as well though. Spent shitloads these last few years
Most of it on crap players. I keep forgetting Bolasie still exists. At least we're starting to play more academy players, which is nice.

Our fans are a bit better on the racism front, thankfully.

I'm annoyed we didn't get Gazzaniga or Romero, apparently the rags won't let Romero go.

I too had a hatred of Everton at that time, though a lot of it disappeared when Gollum went to the swamp.

I can imagine what Toffees have had to put up with over the last few years; similar to what we suffered at the hands of our near neighbours, and I hope they continue their great start, especially in their next game.
I think some people forget just how toxic things were between both clubs and both sets of fans back then. Games between City and Everton had been pretty tasty for years off the field anyway but often slipped under the radar of a wider audience compared to when United and Liverpool played each other. I’ve seen more trouble at matches between us and Everton down the years than I ever have in games against Liverpool. Sure, back in the day it wasn’t a walk in the park going to Anfield but when we played both teams in 1981 in the League Cup semi (against Liverpool) and in the FA Cup 6th round (against Everton), many City fans who were at both reckon that the match at Goodison saw more trouble. Thankfully, I was too young to go to either!

Fast forward to our takeover and the Lescott transfer saga. I get that Moyes was desperate to hang on to him or failing that try and get us to cough up as much as possible for him but some of the comments he came out with about City stoked the fire. IIRC, it was Moyes (and Everton) who disclosed news of our bids and Hughes only started talking freely to the press about it following that. I recall an interview with Moyes in one of the Sunday red tops before Lescott signed saying that Chelsea conduct their transfer business far more respectfully than City do. A bit weird considering Chelsea’s very public tapping up of Ashley Cole just a few years before.

Naturally this seeped through to the Everton fans and when we played them for the first time after the Lescott transfer at Goodison, their fans were bang up for it and they won quite comfortably. We then played them at home in a midweek game a couple of months later. This was a rearranged game from very early in the season and for months we’d been banking on this game in hand to get an advantage over Spurs in the fight for 4th place and again we came up short. I can still hear the chants of Everton fans singing “2 nil, and we spent fuck all” ringing round our stadium. Of course, these days Everton have plenty of money (and appear to be getting things right following a few false starts) and I think their fans can see things a bit more from our side. Let’s also not forget that when Moyes went to United, he pissed off a lot of Evertonians with his attitude when trying to poach Baines and Fellaini with that pathetic lowball bid. A thawing in relations is probably also down to us stopping their neighbours winning the league in 2014 and 2019 plus from our side we can now see what they’ve had to put up with in their own city for years in terms of the cult like mentality of some Liverpool fans. However, I bet when fans are finally allowed back in matches between us and Everton will still be lively enough!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.