Every dog and all that

Gaylord du Bois said:
Lucky Toma said:
In all those years what was the exit that hurt the most?

There was Everton in the League Cup quarters during the late eighties and West Ham at the same stage of the FA a few seasons back. Both times I was convinced we were final bound.
The West Ham one really hurt. I thought we were destined for a semi final at least.

Dean Ashton killing our dream. Even then we scored late on (Musampa?) to give us unfounded belief.

A few lads I was with that night threatened to jack it after that night. Thankfully they never did.

Blackburn (a) was a bad one. For the feeble manner of the defeat as much as the result.

For me any League Cup defeat in any round was depressing. Doncaster, Chesterfield, Brighton and numerous others. I thought it was our only chance of glory. i.e. Actually reaching a final. Thought '81 was going to be my only one and that ended in heartbreak (both games).

God we had it bad didn't we?

Think the cup exit hurt most was FA Cup 5th round Notts County away. Three away ties on the bounce Burnley and Port Vale previous rounds and I was convinced we were on the way to the final that year 90/91?

Gary Lund in the 90th minute after we'd battered them all game and hit the bar a few times. Gutted.

Lucky Toma said:

There was Everton in the League Cup quarters during the late eighties and West Ham at the same stage of the FA a few seasons back. Both times I was convinced we were final bound.

Now there's a big question: which cup exit hurt the most. Here's my nominations.

1) spurs 1993. For every reason: the hope, the excitement, the fact that we went 1-0 up, the timing
2) united 2010. becaue of all the lucky wins they'd had, because it was them, because of the way we were locked in
3) Liverpool 1981. Because of how unjust it felt, because I was 11 and wasn't used to the Gods of Football

Lucky Toma said:

The one that I will take to my grave is notts county in the 4th round when Gary Lund scored, looking back now it seems so insignificant but for some reason the disappointment I felt that day is still with me.

charliebigspuds said:
Lucky Toma said:

The one that I will take to my grave is notts county in the 4th round when Gary Lund scored, looking back now it seems so insignificant but for some reason the disappointment I felt that day is still with me.

Oh god. Old Trafford. 5th round. 1996. That fucking penalty.

That one stung for a long long time.

Didsbury Dave said:
charliebigspuds said:
Lucky Toma said:

Oh god. Old Trafford. 5th round. 1996. That fucking penalty.

That one stung for a long long time.
The 1990's stung for a long,long time. Started out alright-ish football wise and ended with us in the third division.

charliebigspuds said:
Lucky Toma said:

Yep.

I was stunned silent as that went in. The one game Steve Cherry didn't concede less than 3 against us...

Didsbury Dave said:
Lucky Toma said:

Now there's a big question: which cup exit hurt the most. Here's my nominations.

1) spurs 1993. For every reason: the hope, the excitement, the fact that we went 1-0 up, the timing
2) united 2010. becaue of all the lucky wins they'd had, because it was them, because of the way we were locked in
3) Liverpool 1981. Because of how unjust it felt, because I was 11 and wasn't used to the Gods of Football

Yes DD the Spurs game in 93, our name was on it I was sure, the expectation the delight and then the reality. I was sat in the Umbro Stand (Platt Lane) its the only ever time I ever left a city game early since 1977 and never since (Even Wembley in 99). The all the mither and the Terry Phelan goal which I missed but listened to in the car on Claremont Road on the way home. If we would have had a cat I would have kicked it around the house.

Kinkys Left Foot said:
Didsbury Dave said:
Lucky Toma said:

Yes DD the Spurs game in 93, our name was on it I was sure, the expectation the delight and then the reality. I was sat in the Umbro Stand (Platt Lane) its the only ever time I ever left a city game early since 1977 and never since (Even Wembley in 99). The all the mither and the Terry Phelan goal which I missed but listened to in the car on Claremont Road on the way home. If we would have had a cat I would have kicked it around the house.

That was a horrible day all round.
The one I will always remember for some reason was Oldham away, the coldest day I think I ever had at a match, terrible game and lots of pisstaking by people with too many fingers on the way back to the car.

Everton. 2nd Replay at Huddersfield 1966 ? Think Temple and Pickering? This series represented my first 2 away matches. Aged 10 I really thought our name was on the cup! Set me off on a long long set of highs and lows that prepared me for life in general. Being a City fan these days it is so so important to remember where we have come from in terms of enjoying and celebrating appropriately.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.