Every dog and all that

I still remember - bad memories only - of a LC qtr final at Selhurst Park in the Horton era . All square at half time and then we defended like chicken sh:t and lost 3 or 4 nil. Lomas swallowed his tongue and I swallowed my pride... Long drive home from saaaaf Landan.

cassyscooterboys said:
Got to be the pitch invasion spurs game I was convinced it was our year

and the year that huge City hater Hansen tipped us for the cup,
for me the late Rooney goal hurt

Didsbury Dave said:
charliebigspuds said:
Lucky Toma said:
In all those years what was the exit that hurt the most?

There was Everton in the League Cup quarters during the late eighties and West Ham at the same stage of the FA a few seasons back. Both times I was convinced we were final bound.
The one that I will take to my grave is notts county in the 4th round when Gary Lund scored, looking back now it seems so insignificant but for some reason the disappointment I felt that day is still with me.

Oh god. Old Trafford. 5th round. 1996. That fucking penalty.

That one stung for a long long time.
We were playing really well and Uwe scored a sublime goal. Loved how bananas we went when Schmeichel was left stranded as the ball was dinked over his head.
<a class="postlink" href="http://uk.video.search.yahoo.com/video/play?p=uwe+rosler+goal+v+man+united+schmeichel+chip&vid=6360b3936dd932806363864e30230007&l=00%3A35&turl=http%3A%2F%2Fts2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DV.4973603411134761%26pid%3D15.1&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DLFwxa9ztlwA&tit=Manchester+Utd+Vs+Manchester+City+FC.+Feb+1996+ROSLER+GOAL&c=0&sigr=11a5kei08&sigt=11q2r3ok5&ct=p&age=0&hsimp=yhs-fullyhosted_003&hspart=ironsource&tt=b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://uk.video.search.yahoo.com/video/ ... ource&tt=b</a>

Fucking dodgy penalty decision, though. The ball was 20 feet above everyone's heads!

ellibb said:
80/81
League cup semi v Liverpool (h)
League cup semi v Liverpool (a)
FA cup semi v Ipswich (vp)
FA cup final v Spurs (w)
FA cup final replay v Spurs (w)

29 YEARS WITH NOT EVEN A SEMI

09/10
League cup semi v utd (h)
League cup semi v utd (a)
10/11
FA cup semi v utd (w)
FA cup final v Stoke (w)
11/12
Charity shield v utd (w)
League cup semi v Liverpool (h)
League cup semi v Liverpool (a)
12/13
Charity shield v Chelsea (vp)
FA cup semi v Chelsea (w)
FA cup final v Wigan (w)
13/14
League cup semi v West Ham (h)
League cup semi v West Ham (a)
League cup final v Sunderland (w)

TBC

I don't know about anyone else but reading that gave me a semi.

I'll get me coat.

Kinkys Left Foot said:
Didsbury Dave said:
Lucky Toma said:
In all those years what was the exit that hurt the most?

There was Everton in the League Cup quarters during the late eighties and West Ham at the same stage of the FA a few seasons back. Both times I was convinced we were final bound.

Now there's a big question: which cup exit hurt the most. Here's my nominations.

1) spurs 1993. For every reason: the hope, the excitement, the fact that we went 1-0 up, the timing
2) united 2010. because of all the lucky wins they'd had, because it was them, because of the way we were locked in
3) Liverpool 1981. Because of how unjust it felt, because I was 11 and wasn't used to the Gods of Football

Yes DD the Spurs game in 93, our name was on it I was sure, the expectation the delight and then the reality. I was sat in the Umbro Stand (Platt Lane) its the only ever time I ever left a city game early since 1977 and never since (Even Wembley in 99). The all the mither and the Terry Phelan goal which I missed but listened to in the car on Claremont Road on the way home. If we would have had a cat I would have kicked it around the house.

They were all bad. I might well have followed you out of the ground in '93.

I was really miffed when we went out to Sunderland, the year they won the cup. After we had beaten Liverpool, I had our name on the cup.

Halifax was a horrid, humiliating result. However, I wasn't at the Sunderland replay or Halifax but I've seen us lose several to lower division sides and they are never nice but Halifax was the daddy.

Every cup defeat to the Rags has hurt and I've attended a few.

The QF at Blackburn was bad but that Spurs QF probably just shades the Liverpool LCF SF's (I went to both legs).

nmc said:
I still remember - bad memories only - of a LC qtr final at Selhurst Park in the Horton era . All square at half time and then we defended like chicken sh:t and lost 3 or 4 nil. Lomas swallowed his tongue and I swallowed my pride... Long drive home from saaaaf Landan.

Oh jesus, that one hurt too. In fact I have feelings of shame about that game.

I lived in London at the time, took the day off work and got arseholed in one of the pubs near the ground. It's probably the only time I have ever worn a City shirt to a game since the 1981 cup final, when I was 11, as I'd just received one of those 1969 FA Cup Final shirts through the post.

Anyway, I was that mad at our performance I left early and walked down the road booting all the dustbins over that had been left out. I went back to my girlfriend's in Vauxhall, where she shared a house with a really fit Danish girl called Charlotte. As I was taking my shoes off Charlotte was coming down the stairs and she uttered the immortal words "Aw, don't worry, it's only a game". I just looked at her like shit and went "No it fucking isn't" and marched upstairs.

She never treated me the same after that night. Even now I feel a bit of a flush coming on as a type this.

without a dream said:
The West Ham quarter final was devastating. The one glimmer in such a shite season after a reasonably enjoyable one the season before, no SWP no fucking anything in that side other than mediocrity but still let myself get carried away.

Same here, 2005-2006 season. My Dad was on the way out with the big C and I told him that it was our year and I was going to get him to Cardiff even if I had to carry him. He didn't make it past the Villa draw but when Richards scored in the 93rd minute I was still convinced that they were going to get there in his honour.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.