Everyone ready for the new season ?

Yep. Not expecting too much this season though.
Why not?

All we’ve done is won three trophies in one season and finally won our first CL in a nervy/edgy performance.

This season, there is a chance to win a fourth league title in a row, something nobody has ever done. There are seven trophies on offer and we could make last season look like just an okay season. Plus now we have the CL monkey off our backs, I reckon if we get to a final again (especially with it being at Wembley), we’ll be much more relaxed and will be more likely to win.

I reckon the players will be more confident to achieve after last season.

Just out of interest, I’ve looked at clubs who’ve won a treble+ and how they did the season after:

Celtic, quadruple 1966-67
Won the league for the next seven seasons

Ajax, treble 1971-72
Next season: won the league and European Cup double

Liverpool, treble 1983-84
Next season: 2nd in the league, lost in European Cup final

PSV, treble 1987-88
Next season: won the league and cup double

United, treble 1998-99
Won the league for the next two seasons

Barça, treble 2008-09

Inter, treble 2009-10
Next season: won the Coppa, finished 2nd in the league

Bayern, treble 2012-13

Barça, treble 2014-15

Bayern, treble 2019-20
Won the league for the next three seasons

I know they’re all different eras and different leagues but it didn’t stop any of them challenging for honours again the next season, with 8/10 winning the league again. With winners, they very rarely let their hunger wane.

Let’s be the first club since Ajax, and only the second ever, to retain the league and CL after winning a treble! The motivation should be there for the players.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can’t remember the last time the players seemed ready for the start of a season.

I couldn’t think of a worse way to prepare sportsmen for a season than these tours that football clubs do. I reckon many clubs spend more time on planes than they do training.

It’s no wonder so many players across the sport get so many injuries. Football pre-seasons are close to being unprofessional and are easily inept in the way these athletes are prepared.

Transfer Windows ending after seasons get underway is a very poor way to run the sport n’all.
I remember when Pep first arrived he was very upset about having to go on tour and said it was bad preparation.

I think we were in the US that particular pre-season?

If Pep had his way we would play Stockport, Bolton, Wigan, and Salford for pre-season every year. I’m right with him actually.

I remember when Pep first arrived he was very upset about having to go on tour and said it was bad preparation.

I think we were in the US that particular pre-season?

If Pep had his way we would play Stockport, Bolton, Wigan, and Salford for pre-season every year. I’m right with him actually.
Pep’s first pre-season with Bayern, he was allowed total control of it himself and he played 11 pre-season games, all in Germany (one was against City in a mini-tournament in the Allianz).

If you asked the coaches and sports scientists, physios, Drs etc. at clubs, they’d all agree that lots of games close to home with maybe some warm weather training in the Med and some altitude training in the Alps is how you prepare a a sports team for a season ahead.

I wonder if injuries would decrease if that were allowed to be the case? I wonder if this could lead to prolonging the careers of players if they were trained and prepared to there optimal in all aspects of their entire careers (including stopping mid-season internationals)?
I suppose we’ll never know.

Pep’s first pre-season with Bayern, he was allowed total control of it himself and he played 11 pre-season games, all in Germany (one was against City in a mini-tournament in the Allianz).

If you asked the coaches and sports scientists, physios, Drs etc. at clubs, they’d all agree that lots of games close to home with maybe some warm weather training in the Med and some altitude training in the Alps is how you prepare a a sports team for a season ahead.

I wonder if injuries would decrease if that were allowed to be the case? I wonder if this could lead to prolonging the careers of players if they were trained and prepared to there optimal in all aspects of their entire careers (including stopping mid-season internationals)?
I suppose we’ll never know.
I wish we would do that. Nobody is better placed, in sporting terms, to plan our pre-season than Pep.

We’re incredibly successful on the commercial side for countless reasons, and still would be so if we forfitted the seven weeks of public relations exercise between the ucl final and the community shield, in favour of a pre-season focused primarily on fitness and tactical groundwork for the coming season.

I wish we would do that. Nobody is better placed, in sporting terms, to plan our pre-season than Pep.

We’re incredibly successful on the commercial side for countless reasons, and still would be so if we forfitted the seven weeks of public relations exercise between the ucl final and the community shield, in favour of a pre-season focused primarily on fitness and tactical groundwork for the coming season.
I wish all clubs would do it across the sport. It would raise standards and make it even more professional.

Why not?

All we’ve done is won three trophies in one season and finally won our first CL in a nervy/edgy performance.

This season, there is a chance to win a fourth league title in a row, something nobody has ever done. There are seven trophies on offer and we could make last season look like just an okay season. Plus now we have the CL monkey off our backs, I reckon if we get to a final again (especially with it being at Wembley), we’ll be much more relaxed and will be more likely to win.

I reckon the players will be more confident to achieve after last season.

Just out of interest, I’ve looked at clubs who’ve won a treble+ and how they did the season after:

Celtic, quadruple 1966-67
Won the league for the next seven seasons

Ajax, treble 1971-72
Next season: won the league and European Cup double

Liverpool, treble 1983-84
Next season: 2nd in the league, lost in European Cup final

PSV, treble 1987-88

United, treble 1998-99

Barça, treble 2008-09

Inter, treble 2009-10
Next season: won the Coppa, finished 2nd in the league

Bayern, treble 2012-13

Barça, treble 2014-15

Bayern, treble 2019-20
Won the league for the next three seasons

I know they’re all different eras and different leagues but it didn’t stop any of them challenging for honours again the next season, with 8/10 winning the league again. With winners, they very rarely let their hunger wane.

Let’s be the first club since Ajax, and only the second ever, to retain the league and CL after winning a treble! The motivation should be there for the players.
I think we will be thereabouts in all comps as we always are but it’s a big ask repeating anything like what we did last season. I think we will win one trophy this season and it will be either the league or the CL and I would be very happy with either of those. I think if we lose Walker and Bernado though it will be difficult so hopefully we won’t.

Time will tell.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.