Everything Star Wars

Haven’t seen that one yet but just recently watched season 1 of Icons Unearthed which has 6 episodes starting with George Lucas early days with Coppola and covering the ups and downs of all 6 Star Wars movies he did.

didn’t realise his ex wife who was the editor on the 3 original movies was so instrumental in many of the plot lines. she still seems gutted that they split and he doesn’t talk to her.
Yeah, Marcia Lucas.

Has anybody watched the Light and Magic documentary on Disney+?

I'm halfway through the 6-episode series and it's superb. I've seen lots of making-of docs, but this story of ILM is really in-depth featuring interviews with George Lucas, John Dykstra, Richard Edlund, Denis Muren, Phil Tippet and pretty much every name you'll recognise from the film credits over the years.

And of course there's loads of footage from the 70s and 80s where these guys were working in the various wharehouses getting all the shots.
Ye it’s a great documentary always amazes me what they achieved in the 70s, I’ll never forget that star destroyer flying over my head at the Odeon in town in 78!

Just spent a pleasant few days watching Episodes I - VI on the main tv. Star Wars doesn't really get much credit for good acting, but Liam Neeson in Phantom Menace and both Ewan McGregor and Hayden Christensen lin Revenge of the Sith really give Lucas's sometimes ordinary scripts a gravitas that isn't there in the writing.

I guess Anakin's rather unconvincing switch to the dark side is probably best skipped over. Do wonder if he'd originally accompanied Mace Windu, Kit Fisto (!) and the other Jedi to arrest Palpatine, whether he would have stayed on the straight and narrow?!

The prequel trilogy and IMO the whole Saga hinge on the duel on Mustafa. Christiansen certainly got pelters for Attack of the Clones, but his descent into insane rage is well done, when McGregor says Anakin was the Chosen One, it's with painful sincerity.

But the whole pregnancy lacks any emotional depth and I think the problem's with Portman, or rather the shite she has to say. As Harrison Ford once said to George Lucas, "you can write this shit, but we can't say it!"

Why didn't Vader go to Padme's funeral? Admittedly he doesn't seem the sympathetic type, but he sure seems easily manipulated by Palpatine.

Onto Solo as that's about next in the timeline, I think it's got maybe an unfair reputation as a clunker, but it is slow in parts. The new younger versions of Han and Chewie are pretty decent but I think Lando seems a more interesting character. I used to really hate that Fleabag woman's droid which was rather annoying but it's supposed to be a bit of fun. Q'ira is interesting as a character but isn't given anything meaningful to do. Really enjoyed Woody Harrelson and Thandie Newton, but Paul Bettany adds yet another underwhelming villain to his CV.

It now being a dark time for the Alliance, the best thing they can do is get the daughter of the Death Star designer to lead them to him , so tells Rogue One.
I think it's the best "new" star wars thing since the original trilogy and part of its strength is that it evokes the time period between EPs IV - VI extremely well.
The casting is brilliant, Felicity Jones is great as Jyn Erso, David Silva is Cassian Andor!!! Sorry couldn't resist, but El Mago and Diego Luna must have been separated at birth!

I really enjoy the cast from the rebels, right through to the Imperials, all portrayed in shades of grey, rather than good v evil. Really Rogue One should have been the most pointless pitch ever, we know how it'll end.... The quality in all departments shines through and seems a lot more impressive than the actual modern saga films.

There are a number of unifying things over the first 6 episodes and I think Rogue One. The design in terms of creatures, costumes and sets create utterly believable worlds, which is strange when only A New Hope, Empire and Rogue One have decent direction. The prequels in particular have sometimes rather dull direction alon with less than stellar scripts. However the other big gun is John Williams music. It's great fun spotting the different motifs in his scores which as I say enhance and build on the journey.

Depending on whether we smash Everton this afternoon I'll pen some more thoughts on the original trilogy in the next few days! Also if you good people are open to trying to convince me to rewatch the sequel trilogy, I may take some convincing...

Just spent a pleasant few days watching Episodes I - VI on the main tv. Star Wars doesn't really get much credit for good acting, but Liam Neeson in Phantom Menace and both Ewan McGregor and Hayden Christensen lin Revenge of the Sith really give Lucas's sometimes ordinary scripts a gravitas that isn't there in the writing.

I guess Anakin's rather unconvincing switch to the dark side is probably best skipped over. Do wonder if he'd originally accompanied Mace Windu, Kit Fisto (!) and the other Jedi to arrest Palpatine, whether he would have stayed on the straight and narrow?!

The prequel trilogy and IMO the whole Saga hinge on the duel on Mustafa. Christiansen certainly got pelters for Attack of the Clones, but his descent into insane rage is well done, when McGregor says Anakin was the Chosen One, it's with painful sincerity.

But the whole pregnancy lacks any emotional depth and I think the problem's with Portman, or rather the shite she has to say. As Harrison Ford once said to George Lucas, "you can write this shit, but we can't say it!"

Why didn't Vader go to Padme's funeral? Admittedly he doesn't seem the sympathetic type, but he sure seems easily manipulated by Palpatine.

Onto Solo as that's about next in the timeline, I think it's got maybe an unfair reputation as a clunker, but it is slow in parts. The new younger versions of Han and Chewie are pretty decent but I think Lando seems a more interesting character. I used to really hate that Fleabag woman's droid which was rather annoying but it's supposed to be a bit of fun. Q'ira is interesting as a character but isn't given anything meaningful to do. Really enjoyed Woody Harrelson and Thandie Newton, but Paul Bettany adds yet another underwhelming villain to his CV.

It now being a dark time for the Alliance, the best thing they can do is get the daughter of the Death Star designer to lead them to him , so tells Rogue One.
I think it's the best "new" star wars thing since the original trilogy and part of its strength is that it evokes the time period between EPs IV - VI extremely well.
The casting is brilliant, Felicity Jones is great as Jyn Erso, David Silva is Cassian Andor!!! Sorry couldn't resist, but El Mago and Diego Luna must have been separated at birth!

I really enjoy the cast from the rebels, right through to the Imperials, all portrayed in shades of grey, rather than good v evil. Really Rogue One should have been the most pointless pitch ever, we know how it'll end.... The quality in all departments shines through and seems a lot more impressive than the actual modern saga films.

There are a number of unifying things over the first 6 episodes and I think Rogue One. The design in terms of creatures, costumes and sets create utterly believable worlds, which is strange when only A New Hope, Empire and Rogue One have decent direction. The prequels in particular have sometimes rather dull direction alon with less than stellar scripts. However the other big gun is John Williams music. It's great fun spotting the different motifs in his scores which as I say enhance and build on the journey.

Depending on whether we smash Everton this afternoon I'll pen some more thoughts on the original trilogy in the next few days! Also if you good people are open to trying to convince me to rewatch the sequel trilogy, I may take some convincing...
Deep dive to be fair I should a post like about Jaws and have a geek off

Will rewatch rogue one once andor s2 airs

With mando now linking to the new trilogy and more likely Ahsoka continuing the lead into the first order I find any complete watch a 4-5 day binge taking in the whole cannon.

rewatched rebels the other week ready for Ahsoka show

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.