Evidence for religion

if the bible was written today you bet somebody like JK rowling would be the writer ???

ask yourself if there is a god why put all the blame on him ?? and one man can not be in control of everything and still have time to do his own stuff ?? and what does god believe in and who is he answerable too, and did jesus feed the 5 thousand on 5 barm's or muffin's with 2 fish

The bible is a collection of stories, put together over time. It's clear that it should not be taken literally, the problem however is that some clearly do

Evidence for religion?
Religion is a matter of faith.
Imagine the Virgin Mary materialised in the House of Commons, on live TV, and told everyone that to get to heaven you have to do a) b) and c). That would be evidence. That would be fact. And everyone, even the most cynical, would immediate start doing a) b) and c). But there'd be no merit in it because they would just be following their self-interest.
Religion is about faith. Not evidence. The nearest parallel appropriate to Bluemoon, is supporting City during the years we were dogshit. On the basis of evidence, of down-to-earth practicality, we'd have all fucked off and supported the Rags instead. But we didn't because of our irrational faith in City. Religion is very much like that.
Of course, if you don't believe it's all bollocks. Just like it is with football - 22 men booting a ball around a field, big deal.

The bible is a collection of stories, put together over time. It's clear that it should not be taken literally, the problem however is that some clearly do

using the bible for brainwashing kids is so wrong ?? and my kids went to a catholic school (not my choice) but they would come home singing all sort of songs about god and jesus ??? and the teachers knew what they are doing ?? and even if the success rate is low when they leave school, many fall back into religion in later life because of death of somebody close or family because of what they think is right ???

for me GOD and the bible and religion is about getting over death by mourning, and the stories and tails of the afterlife in heaven means you will see them again soon ??? but the realty is once your dead its over and your gone forever its that simple, but your family loves ones you lose live on in your hearts and minds and your DNA that's facts ??

the mourning of somebody you love is the catch for religions and hope brings eternal with the promise of the afterlife ?? every religions and church preaches the afterlife after death, but nobody can say they is a afterlife in up there in heaven ?? why does heaven after be up in the sky ?? we have gone to the moon and space travel and were is heaven ?

Oh, the lying fuckers.

I await a rebuttal from someone of faith......

There is no reference to a dying/rising messiah in any Jewish text prior to Christianity - Bart Ehrman.
What is the proof that the gospel writers or Paul were influenced by Osiris, Dionysus, Mithra, Krishna (lol) etc.? More like speculation.

Evidence for religion?

Religion is a matter of faith.

Imagine the Virgin Mary materialised in the House of Commons, on live TV, and told everyone that to get to heaven you have to do a) b) and c). That would be evidence. That would be fact. And everyone, even the most cynical, would immediate start doing a) b) and c). But there'd be no merit in it because they would just be following their self-interest.

Religion is about faith. Not evidence. The nearest parallel appropriate to Bluemoon, is supporting City during the years we were dogshit. On the basis of evidence, of down-to-earth practicality, we'd have all fucked off and supported the Rags instead. But we didn't because of our irrational faith in City. Religion is very much like that.

Of course, if you don't believe it's all bollocks. Just like it is with football - 22 men booting a ball around a field, big deal.

I don't think religion is about faith.

With city back then we had a slight bit of faith that it would get better and it did so it was worthwhile keeping the faith. You could also say keeping the faith in the lottery numbers is worthwhile because if you did the lottery so many times there would be a good chance you'd win.

This is in comparison to religion which cannot be called faith because how can you have faith in something that is not possible, has never happened and will never happen?

Religion is just a very powerful systemic way of controlling people through an idea. That is why it is imprinted very early onto the people who are most susceptible to illogical ideas such as young people.

Evidence for god.

So was thinking before....

Everyone believed in father Christmas as a child and at a certain age you are told it's not real and you think to yourself 'of course it's not real how can a man fly to billions of houses in one night, how can a reindeer fly etc.

Father Christmas could be regarded as the Spirit of Christmas rather than a physical entity.
In that case "he" could "visit" every home around the world and spread Christmas joy etc.

Religion is just an organised construct to attempt to explain the unexplainable to the unknowing.
A way of answering before the answer is "it just is, right."
Not just Christianity but all religions.

When you're dead you live on in the memories of the living.
Eventually they die and their memories of you die with them.

Last edited:
Psychedelics have changed my whole outlook on everything in life. More to being realistic about the world, bringing my mind back down to Earth to seeing everything very simply after the complex trip they can give while I’m high.

They also allow me to let go of both ego and insecurities at the same time. Just very calm about myself and how things pan out around me. Especially after suffering from depression in the past.

I don’t seem to be thinking about things like “what do they think about me?” “where do I fit in?” “am I attractive to girls?” “do people think I’m fat?” “do my mates find me funny?” “do people find me annoying?” “do I earn more money than them?” “am I good at my job?”

I don’t feel the need to be part of something, don’t feel the need listen to certain types of music because others do, but at the same time don’t feel the need to be different or non-mainstream for egotistical reasons (just because I’ve realised that “normal” and mainstream things lack substance, complexity, personality and creativity).

I’ve realised that I don’t really ‘fit-in’ with society or even my mates. But I now feel comfortable with that rather than feel lost about it.

But when it comes to religion. The word should be banned and replaced with “mythology” because the distinction between real life and made up fantasies should be obvious. Like knowing the difference between being high and being straight. If you don’t realise that distinction you can have bad trips and come out of them badly. When the distinction between real life and fantasy is realised I think the whole human race would better off.

Thank you. I really appreciate this answer. And I apologise, in that what I wrote was not so graceful. I still have my own things going on at times. What I really
wanted to say was more like religion 'can be' a way of opening to deeper awareness, beyond just belief. Having said that, it seemingly quite often isn't. Perhaps that
is the difference between mere mythology and an actual practice? And I do agree that a lot of religion is but another mythology. But not all. To go back to the idea
of 'cleansing the doors of perception,' then I might ask what this is? For me, it is a case of cleansing the mind of false perceptions (ie 'ignorance' that i have believed
to be true) so as to see, know, experience a reality beyond just belief. For me, that can be experienced as a profound beauty, joy and love. Through this, no I don't
much feel like i fit in either.Its not normal in this world. And yet 'normality' can come to feel like suffering. At times I have then chosen to try and escape this through oblivion. Maybe drugs or drink...or escapism in books and tv...or just plain old fantasy...whatever, this leads much more to death than to Life. Perhaps why I get a bit touchy at times when folk say that religion could never be a way of opening to awareness? Anyhow, that's how I see it - maybe just an argument in technicalities/definitions re the word 'religion' and that's ok too.

This is in comparison to religion which cannot be called faith because how can you have faith in something that is not possible, has never happened and will never happen?

How can you claim it is "impossible" for God to exist ? The universe around is enough to have faith in a designer.

[Q 52:35-36] Were they created of nothing, or were they themselves the creators? Or did they create the heavens and the earth? Nay, they have no firm belief.

[Q 3:190] Verily, in the creation of the heavens and the earth and the alternation of the night and the day are signs for those of understanding..

[Q 27:86] Do they not see that We made the night for resting therein and the day giving sight? Verily, in that are signs for a people who believe.

[Q 80:24-32] Then let mankind look at his food, how We poured down water in torrents, then We broke open the earth, splitting it with sprouts, and caused to grow within it grain, and grapes and herbage, and olive and palm trees, and gardens of dense shrubbery, and fruit and grass as enjoyment for you and your grazing livestock.

[Q 30:21] And of His signs is that He created for you from yourselves mates that you may find tranquillity in them; and He placed between you affection and mercy. Indeed in that are signs for a people who give thought.

[Q 45:24] They say: There is nothing but our worldly life, and we live and die and nothing destroys us but time. They have no knowledge, but rather they only speculate.

How can you claim it is "impossible" for God to exist ? The universe around is enough to have faith in a designer.

[Q 52:35-36] Were they created of nothing, or were they themselves the creators? Or did they create the heavens and the earth? Nay, they have no firm belief.

[Q 3:190] Verily, in the creation of the heavens and the earth and the alternation of the night and the day are signs for those of understanding..

[Q 27:86] Do they not see that We made the night for resting therein and the day giving sight? Verily, in that are signs for a people who believe.

[Q 80:24-32] Then let mankind look at his food, how We poured down water in torrents, then We broke open the earth, splitting it with sprouts, and caused to grow within it grain, and grapes and herbage, and olive and palm trees, and gardens of dense shrubbery, and fruit and grass as enjoyment for you and your grazing livestock.

[Q 30:21] And of His signs is that He created for you from yourselves mates that you may find tranquillity in them; and He placed between you affection and mercy. Indeed in that are signs for a people who give thought.

[Q 45:24] They say: There is nothing but our worldly life, and we live and die and nothing destroys us but time. They have no knowledge, but rather they only speculate.

Of course it is impossible because the universe is a construct better explained by science and not a god. I find logic in science but I'm sorry I only find ignorance with religion. Religion has consistently concerned itself not with explaining our history but with defining it.

I can prove that the universe came about by an extremely complicated sequence of events which led to our existence. We are cateogrically not unique and we aren't the first or the last and fossils and planetary history prove this.

Humans and the idea of a god have only existed for a time period which represents barely a millisecond of time in a year of the life of the universe. Why didn't the dinosaurs practice religion and why does the Bible omit planetary history? Ignorance is required to explain these things by religion.

All of this leaves just one question, why do we need to even consider that there is a god?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.