Ex City Youth Players

Cheers for the info. I knew there had to be a couple missing.

I considered Swift, but considering he played for clubs before City and only played a couple of reserve games, I felt he didn't qualify as a city grad. Johnson was signed directly from another club to the first team so also can't be included IMO.
I agree with both those points. If we're including SWP (who mostly came through the NFFC youth system before joining City at 17) I suppose Tommy Johnson should be included as he arrived at City at 17 and hadn't played for a professional team before then (though he did have time with local clubs in Dalton where he was from). He made his debut for City at 17 too.

There are also B internationals like Gary Owen & Paul Power who should be included. We don't tend to do B internationals now but comparing them to some of the meaningless friendlies England play today it's fairly clear some of these were tougher matches or more significant in some way. For example Owen played against West Germany B, Malaysia and New Zealand (amongst others) and Power against Spain B. B internationals by other City players included games v USA's first team (and Finland and Holland) all of which would be full internationals today.

I agree with both those points. If we're including SWP (who mostly came through the NFFC youth system before joining City at 17) I suppose Tommy Johnson should be included as he arrived at City at 17 and hadn't played for a professional team before then (though he did have time with local clubs in Dalton where he was from). He made his debut for City at 17 too.
My rationale for that one is that SWP did actually play with City's academy/reserves for (I believe) a full season - while Johnson went straight into the first team (a la Joe Hart).

There are also B internationals like Gary Owen & Paul Power who should be included. We don't tend to do B internationals now but comparing them to some of the meaningless friendlies England play today it's fairly clear some of these were tougher matches or more significant in some way. For example Owen played against West Germany B, Malaysia and New Zealand (amongst others) and Power against Spain B. B internationals by other City players included games v USA's first team (and Finland and Holland) all of which would be full internationals today.
There are also the three that represented Great Britain: Micah Richards, Ryan the Adulterer and Daniel Sturridge.

I'm undecided about B teams - would they have been called up if the first team got more fixtures? that's debateable. Either way I found it tough enough to find all of the full internationals, I'd struggle even more with B teams.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.