Ex City Youth Players

Jamie Bynoe Gittens is running riot today for Dortmund.

Morgan Rogers played really well for Villa. No idea he was such a powerful runner with the ball.
Rodgers is a big powerful lad, he's not very quick though which always stood out playing for our youth teams. I wonder if he has the talent to play more central in a Gundo or Lampard type role. He'd cause chaos running at the centre of the defence.

Pep Guardiola has now given debuts to 30 academy graduates, the most of any manager (at least since the restructuring of academy football in the late 90s):

Pablo Maffeo
Brahim Díaz
Phil Foden
Lukas Nmecha

Tom Dele-Bashiru
Claudio Gomes
Arijanet Muric
Adrián Bernabé
Eric García
Ian Poveda
Felix Nmecha

Taylor Harwood-Bellis
Tommy Doyle
Liam Delap
Cole Palmer
Samuel Edozie
Ben Knight
CJ Egan-Riley
Luke Mbete
Finley Burns
Josh Wilson-Esbrand
Roméo Lavia
James McAtee
Rico Lewis
Shea Charles
Oscar Bobb

Micah Hamilton
Mahamadou Susoho
Jacob Wright
Nico O'Reilly

(the 12 players in bold have international caps)

For context, previous managers:

Manuel Pellegrini: 12 (Emyr Huws, José Pozo, Kelechi Iheanacho, Manu García, George Evans, Bersant Celina, Angeliño, Cameron Humphreys, David Faupala, Aleix García, Tosin Adarabioyo, Brandon Barker)

Roberto Mancini: 16 (Dedryck Boyata, Abdisalam Ibrahim, Greg Cunningham, Alex Nimely, Ben Mee, John Guidetti, Javan Vidal, Chris Chantler, Abdul Razak, Ryan McGivern, Reece Wabara, Karim Rekik, Luca Scapuzzi, Denis Suárez, Jérémy Hélan, Marcos Lopes)

Mark Hughes: 1 (Vladimír Weiss)

Sven-Göran Eriksson: 5 (Kasper Schmeichel, Shaleum Logan, Kelvin Etuhu, Ched Evans, Sam Williamson)

Stuart Pearce: 5 (Stephen Ireland, Micah Richards, Ishmael Miller, Michael Johnson, Daniel Sturridge)

Kevin Keegan: 14 (Chris Shuker, Dickson Etuhu, Leon Mike, Chris Killen, Tyrone Mears, Joey Barton, Stephen Jordan, Willo Flood, Glenn Whelan, Stephen Elliott, Bradley Wright-Phillips, Nedum Onuoha, Jonathan D'Laryea, Lee Croft)

Last edited:
Pep Guardiola has now given debuts to 30 academy graduates, the most of any manager (at least since the restructuring of academy football in the late 90s):

Manuel Pellegrini: 12 (...)

Roberto Mancini: 16 (...)

Mark Hughes: 1 (...)

Sven-Göran Eriksson: 5 (...)

Stuart Pearce: 5 (...)

Kevin Keegan: 14 (...)

Joe Royle: 2 (Shaun Wright-Phillips, Terry Dunfield)

I think Joe Royle defo gave Nick Fenton his debut too and you've missed his name out mate, remember all the hype around Fenton big things were expected of him.
Joe Royle hinted while here he played a player too young and it potentially ruined him, some think the player in question that Royle talked about was Nick Fenton.

There was a player called Alan Bailey who left us for Stockport after a single game, then scored against us while we were managed by Joe Royle in a game we lost that I was at, the M.E.N. said the next day that he played 1 game for us but not sure if he made his debut under Royle.

Another couple I'm unsure of are Steven Rimmer and David Morley can't be sure who either played under, Rimmer was bigging up the fact he played one game for our first team years ago.
Both on the clubs books under Royle but not sure how long for, Morley scored on his debut then just pretty much disappeared but that might've been under Frank Clarke.

I think Joe Royle defo gave Nick Fenton his debut too and you've missed his name out mate, remember all the hype around Fenton big things were expected of him.
Joe Royle hinted while here he played a player too young and it potentially ruined him, some think the player in question that Royle talked about was Nick Fenton.

There was a player called Alan Bailey who left us for Stockport after a single game, then scored against us while we were managed by Joe Royle in a game we lost that I was at, the M.E.N. said the next day that he played 1 game for us but not sure if he made his debut under Royle.

Another couple I'm unsure of are Steven Rimmer and David Morley can't be sure who either played under, Rimmer was bigging up the fact he played one game for our first team years ago.
Both on the clubs books under Royle but not sure how long for, Morley scored on his debut then just pretty much disappeared but that might've been under Frank Clarke.
Only left out because he pre-dates the restructuring of the academy. I was only counting from SWP onwards, as he was supposedly the first player from the academy in its new form. I struggle to find too much info on academy grads pre—98.

But yes you are right. Fenton made his debut for Joe Royle.

I’m just gonna take Royle’s name off entirely as he managed before and after the academy restructure.

Very true about Stephen Rimmer.
Was my old P.E teacher, first thing he said when he found out I was a City Fan.

Only left out because he pre-dates the restructuring of the academy. I was only counting from SWP onwards, as he was supposedly the first player from the academy in its new form. I struggle to find too much info on academy grads pre—98.

But yes you are right. Fenton made his debut for Joe Royle.

I’m just gonna take Royle’s name off entirely as he managed before and after the academy restructure.

Ah right, understand what you're saying now about Fenton predating the academy.
He was here from the mid 90s the same with Rimmer and Morley, and imagine the same for Bailey too but I can't find anything about him.

I think Royle should actually still be included though mate as the academy definitely pre dated his spell as boss, think we'd hired Cassell a while before Joe Royle and were already in the process implementing it behind the scenes.
Jim Cassell running it probably helped big time as Royle knew from his Oldham days, he probably had the confidence to play Dunfield and SWP on the word of Cassell.

Maybe just list Joe Royle's name while including both SWP and Terry Dunfield, you're initial list was fine I've probably just put some doubt in your mind, add a similar note to this (other youth debutants under Royle pre dated the academy) in your initial post if need be with Royle reinstated.

Reactions: kun

Pablo Maffeo
Brahim Díaz
Phil Foden
Lukas Nmecha

Tom Dele-Bashiru
Claudio Gomes
Arijanet Muric
Adrián Bernabé
Eric García
Ian Poveda
Felix Nmecha

Taylor Harwood-Bellis
Tommy Doyle
Liam Delap
Cole Palmer
Samuel Edozie
Ben Knight
CJ Egan-Riley
Luke Mbete
Finley Burns
Josh Wilson-Esbrand
Roméo Lavia
James McAtee
Rico Lewis
Shea Charles
Oscar Bobb

Micah Hamilton
Mahamadou Susoho
Jacob Wright
Nico O'Reilly

(the 12 players in bold have international caps)

Manuel Pellegrini: 12 (Emyr Huws, José Pozo, Kelechi Iheanacho, Manu García, George Evans, Bersant Celina, Angeliño, Cameron Humphreys, David Faupala, Aleix García, Tosin Adarabioyo, Brandon Barker)

Roberto Mancini: 16 (Dedryck Boyata, Abdisalam Ibrahim, Greg Cunningham, Alex Nimely, Ben Mee, John Guidetti, Javan Vidal, Chris Chantler, Abdul Razak, Ryan McGivern, Reece Wabara, Karim Rekik, Luca Scapuzzi, Denis Suárez, Jérémy Hélan, Marcos Lopes)

Mark Hughes: 1 (Vladimír Weiss)

Sven-Göran Eriksson: 5 (Kasper Schmeichel, Shaleum Logan, Kelvin Etuhu, Ched Evans, Sam Williamson)

Stuart Pearce: 5 (Stephen Ireland, Micah Richards, Ishmael Miller, Michael Johnson, Daniel Sturridge)

Kevin Keegan: 14 (Chris Shuker, Dickson Etuhu, Leon Mike, Chris Killen, Tyrone Mears, Joey Barton, Stephen Jordan, Willo Flood, Glenn Whelan, Stephen Elliott, Bradley Wright-Phillips, Nedum Onuoha, Jonathan D'Laryea, Lee Croft)
Did Sven not give Hart his debut and was Brahim Diaz not given his under The Charming man.

Did Sven not give Hart his debut and was Brahim Diaz not given his under The Charming man.
Both no.

Pearce gave Hart his debut but Hart never set foot in the academy, joined the first team and already had over 50 senior appearances at Shrewsbury.

Brahim Díaz made his debut in an EFL cup tie vs Swansea in 2016/17.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.