F1 Season 2020.

I think rather than F1 patting itself on the back tonight F1 has to analyse the accident and work out how it makes things even safer tbh.

Of course they need to aspire to constantly improve, but the fact Grosjean has survived a car splitting in half and encompassing him in flames for 30 seconds and come out with ”minor” burns to hands and feet shows how far they already have come. The only thing they could have improved on here is better fire retardant gloves/boots. Hopefully graphene will be the answer to that.

It’s miraculous that he’s ok.

Of course they need to aspire to constantly improve, but the fact Grosjean has survived a car splitting in half and encompassing him in flames for 30 seconds and come out with ”minor” burns to hands and feet shows how far they already have come. The only thing they could have improved on here is better fire retardant gloves/boots. Hopefully graphene will be the answer to that.

It’s miraculous that he’s ok.
That barrier was not in line with the track, it was heading towards it at about a 45 degree angle. That is why it ended up being a head on collision. Somebody needs to sort that out quickly.

That barrier was not in line with the track, it was heading towards it at about a 45 degree angle. That is why it ended up being a head on collision. Somebody needs to sort that out quickly.

I was only eluding to car safety, but yeah, circuits and their barriers definitely can be better.

Split the f*cking thing in half.
Pretty much in 3 really, the front went through the barrier and broke up, leaving the cockpit wedged in the barrier, and the back half further down the barrier, the front two wheels ended up about 100m apart either side of the track.

It looks like the "halo" actually parted the armco so he went through it, amazing that he actually walked away, I doubt he would without the cockpit and the halo.

The team certainly have to investigate why the integrity of the safety cell was compromised.
I'm sure there will be a huge investigation, but to be honest I suspect the disintegration helped save him by disapating some of the energy. When you think the car was accelerating before it hit the other cars wheel, and it wasn't breaking when it hit the barrier he had no time to gain any control, most F1 crashes are cars slowing down.

The team certainly have to investigate why the integrity of the safety cell was compromised.

The safety cell was not compromised.

The problem here is the armco barrier. It should not split apart, but it did. If the armco does it's job, the car's nose gets crumpled and bounces off, the kind of crash you see every few weeks.

Because of the fault with the armco, Grosjean's car went through the barrier, the halo protected his head, which saved his life, and then when air intake hit the barrier the car split in two - Engine and rear on one side of the barrier, Grosjean in the safety cell on the other side.

This is a 2014 safety cell diagram - pretty much identical to today's minus the halo.
1606688724211.png
Here's the part that broke off - basically everything not in the survival cell.

1606688826570.png

That's exactly what the car is designed to do.

I'm sure there will be a huge investigation, but to be honest I suspect the disintegration helped save him by disapating some of the energy. When you think the car was accelerating before it hit the other cars wheel, and it wasn't breaking when it hit the barrier he had no time to gain any control, most F1 crashes are cars slowing down.
I think I saw the brake light come on a split-second before impact. Not sure how fast he was going. It looked quick.

It looked like a pretty head-on impact, and all the energy (weight of the engine and gearbox) was thrown forwards, forcing the cockpit through the barrier. Just shows how strong the halo is, as that barrier could easily have decapitated him.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.