F1 Thread - 2018 Season

Or alternatively Ferrari and Merc see it as to expensive and don't believe it brings in enough revenue.
It's not the first time that new tech has been knocked back in F1.
On the plus side cars are going to be louder now probably

Where Ferrari and Merc struggle i think is being expected to give engines away for peanuts after the huge amounts they spend on R&D and i will throw Renault in that as well. I think they also struggle being told they can't spend their own money on say wind tunnel research and R&D because a team like Sauber or Williams is struggling for cash, dont have the same access to facilities and cry it's all unfair.

Its like most teams bemoaning our spending power and wanting FFP to restrict us to their levels and it just doesn't work and nor should it.

You go into F1 because it's the pinnacle of motorsport and the technical side of the sport and if you can't afford to do that then you have no right being there imo. Teams will come and go as they have always done but to artificially try and create teams and numbers on a grid that dont belong at the expense of possibly the biggest names in the sport is ridiculous and they risk having no sport at all.

Where Ferrari and Merc struggle i think is being expected to give engines away for peanuts after the huge amounts they spend on R&D and i will throw Renault in that as well. I think they also struggle being told they can't spend their own money on say wind tunnel research and R&D because a team like Sauber or Williams is struggling for cash, dont have the same access to facilities and cry it's all unfair.

Its like most teams bemoaning our spending power and wanting FFP to restrict us to their levels and it just doesn't work and nor should it.

You go into F1 because it's the pinnacle of motorsport and the technical side of the sport and if you can't afford to do that then you have no right being there imo. Teams will come and go as they have always done but to artificially try and create teams and numbers on a grid that dont belong at the expense of possibly the biggest names in the sport is ridiculous and they risk having no sport at all.
You make some fair points.
I personally agree capping spending as a whole is a bit ridiculous

You make some fair points.
I personally agree capping spending as a whole is a bit ridiculous

There is talk of a independent engine manufacturer coming back in again for 2021, a "Cosworth" type company to name but one but whats the point of it isnt competitive and can win races and what's the point if they say we will come in and make an engine for say £500k that can last 8 races and the likes of Ferrari and Merc just piss their pants laughing and say whats the point in us being here anymore?

I'm glad it isnt my problem to sort out but i get the feeling Liberty look at motorsport in the US with its almost identical cars and think its the way to go here and i just dont see it working for either teams or fans tbh.

Time will tell i guess.

There is talk of a independent engine manufacturer coming back in again for 2021, a "Cosworth" type company to name but one but whats the point of it isnt competitive and can win races and what's the point if they say we will come in and make an engine for say £500k that can last 8 races and the likes of Ferrari and Merc just piss their pants laughing and say whats the point in us being here anymore?

I'm glad it isnt my problem to sort out but i get the feeling Liberty look at motorsport in the US with its almost identical cars and think its the way to go here and i just dont see it working for either teams or fans tbh.

Time will tell i guess.
I hope not.
F1 was here before the MGU H and hopefully will be here after.
I get the feeling spending caps will be knocked back by the teams though. (Unless that's been confirmed as well)

F1 was here before the MGU H and hopefully will be here after.

Exactly!

I've little doubt a spending cap will be brought in and that special dispensation will be granted to one or two special teams with history and the world will continue to spin ;-)

Exactly!

I've little doubt a spending cap will be brought in and that special dispensation will be granted to one or two special teams with history and the world will continue to spin ;-)
Lol
If you're referring to Ferrari you'd be surprised, Williams gets more in 'historical' payments than they do

Lol
If you're referring to Ferrari you'd be surprised, Williams gets more in 'historical' payments than they do

According to Autosport, the only team to receive a payment as a LST (long standing team) is Ferrari and they got $68M in 2007. They also got the most that year, $190M

Williams it says received a "heritage" payment of $10M and a total of $79M.

I'm sure everyone will tune in to watch 10 Mercedes cars v 10 Ferrari cars as every other team gives up.

To have the elite racing category where there's 3/4 seconds per lap between first and last is ludicrous and bad for the sport.

We need performance convergence, but we also need rules that allow for teams to have flexibility in designing the car, but make it that the different design paths make each design stronger and weaker on different tracks. We need competition, different winners and what a surprise and refreshing thing to see a Red Bull, Renault and McLaren overtake an (albeit stricken) Ferrari without DRS in China. It shouldn't happen every race, but they should be allowed enough opportunity to compete so we have underdog stories as well as the big battles. This season is showing that after multiple years under similar rules you can get some sort of performance convergence, but it needs to be stronger to make the sport more competitive. That's better for the fans, teams and the sport as a whole. Formula 1 is meant to be the pinnacle, but it will become obsolete if it doesn't reform and Formula E will end up taking its spot. More manufacturers, more competition, consistent overtaking opportunities and genuine title races.

According to Autosport, the only team to receive a payment as a LST (long standing team) is Ferrari and they got $68M in 2007. They also got the most that year, $190M

Williams it says received a "heritage" payment of $10M and a total of $79M.

Interesting, looks like my f1 podcast lied to me then lol

I'm sure everyone will tune in to watch 10 Mercedes cars v 10 Ferrari cars as every other team gives up.

To have the elite racing category where there's 3/4 seconds per lap between first and last is ludicrous and bad for the sport.

We need performance convergence, but we also need rules that allow for teams to have flexibility in designing the car, but make it that the different design paths make each design stronger and weaker on different tracks. We need competition, different winners and what a surprise and refreshing thing to see a Red Bull, Renault and McLaren overtake an (albeit stricken) Ferrari without DRS in China. It shouldn't happen every race, but they should be allowed enough opportunity to compete so we have underdog stories as well as the big battles. This season is showing that after multiple years under similar rules you can get some sort of performance convergence, but it needs to be stronger to make the sport more competitive. That's better for the fans, teams and the sport as a whole. Formula 1 is meant to be the pinnacle, but it will become obsolete if it doesn't reform and Formula E will end up taking its spot. More manufacturers, more competition, consistent overtaking opportunities and genuine title races.

Doesn't making the sport cheaper encourage smaller manufacturers to stay?

Interesting, looks like my f1 podcast lied to me then lol

Doesn't making the sport cheaper encourage smaller manufacturers to stay?

you'd hope, there are still some more fundamental changes to make to ensure meaningful competition. I think having most of the grid beholden to Mercedes, Ferrari and Renault is a bad position to be in, although McLaren Honda didn't work (due to the technical nature of trying to build one of these engines), I want to see teams have their independence and a genuine ability/opportunity to beat each other. I'd love to see Aston Martin join, and in 2008 we had Honda, Toyota, BMW and before that Ford and the like, it would bring genuine competitive independent rivalry imo which would work in the sport's favour. Liberty realise this and are hopefully making the right steps.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.