FA confirm Southgate will stay on until after Euro 2024 (p 101)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good news that he's finally called it a day.
Seems like a nice bloke, hope he enjoys his retirement from top class football management.

He seems like a nice bloke but he doesn’t look like he has the ability to get into players and get a response from them. It might be totally different behind closed doors in the changing room, however can you ever see him giving a debrief like Pep did in the changing room after we lost to Southampton in the league cup back in the 22/23 season?

A lot of the players looked bemused and lost in the systems he tried to implement during the Euros. The fact he was searching for a system during a tournament was unforgivable and should have been in place before that.

Now he’s gone I wonder if we will start to hear stories arise of how he left players out of the Euros squad and lost their trust. How cliques started in the squad and how he accommodated players who clearly weren’t fit.

He’s not been all bad I suppose in how he’s managed to get England to two back to back Euros finals. The likes of Robson, Venables, Hoddle, Erikson and Capello never got England to that stage and had much better cvs.

Good luck at Old Trafford when Ten Hag gets the boot this Autumn Gareth.

Whoever comes in will be told to make sure Kane and Bellingham are first on the team sheet no matter how shit they are playing ;-)

I've no doubt.

People are deluded if they think any manager coming in will be making radical changes like telling Kane he's finished, telling Bellingham he's an arsehat and he's dropped.

It's not gonna happen. The main starting 11 will be near enough identical to Southgates. Kane will still be first choice.

Now starts our period of success :S
Glad he's gone. the stink and negativity around him is too much.

Most successful manager of recent times for England, though some moaners and whhiners will use whatever metric to prove he wasnt. He did a good job from my pov which has been seeing failure after failure at groups and not even qualifying.

People today expect more though. Good luck with that. We dont have the best players in the world as the media keep telling us. I dont expect the next manager to take us to the next level, I do think the best times are over but we will see.

I don't think Southgate is a particularly good coach or tactician.

What he did though, was try and develop a way of playing tournament football, by minimising risk and playing percentage football.

It does reduce the risk of failure, but also makes 'being the best' difficult. In this day and age you need to respect possession more than he did. Keep gifting the ball back to good opposition and eventually it tells.

Glad he went now, if he stayed I think he would have lost all goodwill and he doesnt deserve that, as he does seem a decent man.

Hoping for a more modern coach and some positive thinking.

I think whoever is coming in is going to get a lot of stick unless they hit the ground running and play great football.

If its Potter and the team still look similar in games then straight away you're gonna get people calling out the fact he's never won anything and was shite at Chelsea. Same with Carsley, people will say we brought in a guy with no senior experience. This is often the case when you don't bring in a glamorous name.

I don't think the English fans will have the patience this time around unless they show immediate improvements in how they play.

Southgate had the luxury of coming in after a very very poor spell in the previous tournaments. The next manager is coming in to manage a team that is reaching finals, nothing else will be seen as satisfactory other than playing much better football and beating top teams.

I think you have to go with a seasoned winner personally. Carsley would be my choice of English manager (he's not Irish really) because he's won something at youth level at least and we've got a lot of talent that can continue to come through the ranks. But I fear he'll be no different when it comes to the crunch because he's not been in a senior role permanently before.

I think you have to go for someone with big stature in the game. Someone who raises levels so we don't crumble against the first top tier nation we face. Someone who makes the players believe they're the best, creates a system they buy into and isn't afraid to try bold things to make it work. You don't get a lot of time to harness a style, but Southgate was fearful of all opposition in qualifying. We need someone who says what we all think - North Macedonia are shite so try out something and risk not getting the win. It's easier to qualify for tournaments now, so you don't need to be so scared of the process.

Now starts our period of success :S
Glad he's gone. the stink and negativity around him is too much.

Most successful manager of recent times for England, though some moaners and whhiners will use whatever metric to prove he wasnt. He did a good job from my pov which has been seeing failure after failure at groups and not even qualifying.

People today expect more though. Good luck with that. We dont have the best players in the world as the media keep telling us. I dont expect the next manager to take us to the next level, I do think the best times are over but we will see.
In 1990 and 1996 we played well and were unlucky.
In 2018, 2021 and 2024 we were lucky to get as far as we did and was no surprise when we were beaten by decent teams. It was very rare when we put a performance together that could be described as good. Probably just 45 minutes against Switzerland in the last tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.