FA Cup 2024/25 thread (4th Round Qualifying results P5)

MK Dons v AFC Wimbledon. Builders in MK might get a few repair jobs at the stadium if there's a repeat of the trouble when they met in the cup about 12 years ago.
I was in a neutral section for that game doing a bit of ground-hopping and the AFCW fans seemed well up for it.

MK Dons v AFC Wimbledon. Builders in MK might get a few repair jobs at the stadium if there's a repeat of the trouble when they met in the cup about 12 years ago.
I was in a neutral section for that game doing a bit of ground-hopping and the AFCW fans seemed well up for it.
I think they played each other the other week in the League Cup and Wimbledon won on pens.

A great chant to the MK fans from Wimbledon fans:
“Where were you when you was us?”

I think they played each other the other week in the League Cup and Wimbledon won on pens.

A great chant to the MK fans from Wimbledon fans:
“Where were you when you was us?”
Same chant from Wimbledon to MK fans when I saw them. The MK fans responded with "Where were you when you were you?" a reference to Wimbledon's tiny crowds.
Hard to believe it's over 20 years since they moved yet I'm still pleased every time MKD lose. Though I forgave them a bit that night they beat the rags 4-0 in the League Cup.

It was a bit hard to understand why grown men would suddenly switch to supporting MK Dons when they were formed, after a life time of following another team.

But to be fair to anybody under the ages of mid to late 20s from Milton Keynes, they won’t ever remember a time when their town didn’t have a football league club. So I’ve got more respect for them for following their local team than the usual United and Liverpool ‘fans’ from all four corners of the country.

It’s not their fault that it all came about a bit dodgily.

It was a bit hard to understand why grown men would suddenly switch to supporting MK Dons when they were formed, after a life time of following another team.

But to be fair to anybody under the ages of mid to late 20s from Milton Keynes, they won’t ever remember a time when their town didn’t have a football league club. So I’ve got more respect for them for following their local team than the usual United and Liverpool ‘fans’ from all four corners of the country.

It’s not their fault that it all came about a bit dodgily.
I spent a bit of time in MK as I worked for a company based there. The town was largely populated by people who "supported" their team via their armchairs; usually London clubs but the usual infestation of rags and dippers.
There had been several non-league teams in the area but the locals weren't interested. The arrival of a second tier (IIRC) team and cheap tickets got the ball rolling the the new stadium is excellent.
Kids support MKD which is a good thing, but the dodgy beginnings still rankle as you say.
One other point has to be remembered: Wimbledon had been looking for a long-distance move for several years (possibly back to the Sam Hammam days) as the local council wouldn't allow them to rebuilt in Merton. The clowns that moved them were just completing that desire.
The approval from the FA/FL was criticised from all angles which is why clubs seeking to move can only move a much shorter distance.

I spent a bit of time in MK as I worked for a company based there. The town was largely populated by people who "supported" their team via their armchairs; usually London clubs but the usual infestation of rags and dippers.
There had been several non-league teams in the area but the locals weren't interested. The arrival of a second tier (IIRC) team and cheap tickets got the ball rolling the the new stadium is excellent.
Kids support MKD which is a good thing, but the dodgy beginnings still rankle as you say.
One other point has to be remembered: Wimbledon had been looking for a long-distance move for several years (possibly back to the Sam Hammam days) as the local council wouldn't allow them to rebuilt in Merton. The clowns that moved them were just completing that desire.
The approval from the FA/FL was criticised from all angles which is why clubs seeking to move can only move a much shorter distance.
That is correct, there was talk about Hamman moving them to Dublin at one point!

It was built for cockneys to escape London.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.