FA cup....Nottingham Forest v City 27th January 1974

If I am not mistaken because of Sunday trading laws then, payment on the gate was for a team sheet. There was a lot of trouble that day City fans took over the pub next to the cricket ground opposite Forests ground. Rodney Marsh never broke into a trot and was subbed Frank
Carrodus got the consolation goal another early exit from the cup, not so happy days.
The Trent Bridge Inn?

That Sunday trading thing is nuts btw!

I remember this one well just like you. Duncan McKenzie was brilliant that day and as it states it was Duncan McKenzie 4 City 1. Just as a footnote, wasn't this the first game ever to be shown live on TV on a Sunday, or at least some sort of first for something or other.
I've never ever seen footage from this match.
Was it on tv ? I'd like to know.
Spoken to a lot of Forest fans ,over the years, about this match,..
They all,to a man, go misty eyed...and say how brilliant Duncan McKenzie was that match.
One Forest fan..only a few years back...told ,me in the Royal Children pub
...at the time ,this was The Top Forest Pub...a guy called Wez. Great company as he was one of the original Nottiingham Punks...back in the day...And a shout out to, a very good friend of mine..Christine. Top barmaid.Red Hair, probably the best Barmaid,and the hardest football bar maid I've ever seen..I digress...
Wez said that during the 4-1 Duncan McKenzie Forest match..the game was halted due to a broken Cross bar issue.......
Anyone at the Match remember that ?
I'd love to see footage if anyone has it. The Duncan McKenzie match.1974.

I've never ever seen footage from this match.
Was it on tv ? I'd like to know.
Spoken to a lot of Forest fans ,over the years, about this match,..
They all,to a man, go misty eyed...and say how brilliant Duncan McKenzie was that match.
One Forest fan..only a few years back...told ,me in the Royal Children pub
...at the time ,this was The Top Forest Pub...a guy called Wez. Great company as he was one of the original Nottiingham Punks...back in the day...And a shout out to, a very good friend of mine..Christine. Top barmaid.Red Hair, probably the best Barmaid,and the hardest football bar maid I've ever seen..I digress...
Wez said that during the 4-1 Duncan McKenzie Forest match..the game was halted due to a broken Cross bar issue.......
Anyone at the Match remember that ?
I'd love to see footage if anyone has it. The Duncan McKenzie match.1974.
There’s a bit of it on youtube. Fairly poor quality and just shows the 2 goals scored by Bowyer.

It was also the year that Newcastle fans rioted against Forest, with quite a few injuries and a couple of players attacked. Barcodes won 4-3 after going 3-1 down and having a bloke sent off (hence the riot). The match was then voided with 2 replays taking place before Newcastle eventually won.

It was also the last year they had a 3/4 play off match a few days after the final.

Anyone here at the game?, remember it like it was yesterday..

Duncan McKenzie scored one of the best goals I've ever seen against us, shortly after that he moved to Leeds.

From the web:-

In 1974 Forest were a pretty ordinary second division side, other than McKenzie. That season, he became only the third Forest player to top the scoring charts in his division with 26 goals. In the fourth round of the FA Cup, McKenzie put on a one-man display, the like of which has not been seen since at the City Ground. He ran the Manchester City Defence ragged. He created two goals for Ian Bowyer and one for George Lyall before scoring himself. It was Duncan McKenzie 4 Manchester City 1 Forty one thousand fans watched McKenzie put them to the slaughter on Forest’s second ever Sunday game.
I was there. Played on a Sunday, maybe even the first Sunday match, because of power cuts. Duncan McKenzie was on another level.
Miserable afternoon.

I went with my dad. Only really remember McKenzie who, as others have said was sensational and the Police launch fishing fans out of the Trent after they had been pitched off the bridge.
Ridiculous thing I recall is the Police weren’t stopping the fans being thrown in.
What a day out for a pubescent young teenager.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.