FA cup v Stoke 3rd March 1934

only if they walked, had an horse and cart or a penny farthing could stoke fans get to Manchester in the 1930;s
Here’s a photo from the round before of the FA Cup that year against Sheffield Wednesday:
500ae5324fc29eede9cfde377c328ed5.jpg

loads of cars/coaches there!

There were 68,614 that day n’all

Stanley Matthews Joe Fagan and Matt Busby all played that day.
On paper this match and it's attendance sounds brilliant ..but just like the Charlton promotion match in 85..I've heard some scary stories about crowd congestion. .indeed some poster in another thread has said a relative of his described City fans fighting to get out of the Kippax in 1934 as it was so dangerously full..

Stanley Matthews Joe Fagan and Matt Busby all played that day.
On paper this match and it's attendance sounds brilliant ..but just like the Charlton promotion match in 85..I've heard some scary stories about crowd congestion. .indeed some poster in another thread has said a relative of his described City fans fighting to get out of the Kippax in 1934 as it was so dangerously full..

My late Grandad, who died in 1989 and would have been 21 at the time of the Stoke game, always insisted that the gate was a lot bigger than officially announced. Said it was bedlam that day, with serious over crowding in parts of the Kippax.

That replay against Sheffield Wednesday of which the photo is shown above would have taken place on a midweek afternoon. In those circumstances, 68K was a hell of a gate.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.