FA cup v Stoke 3rd March 1934

Here’s a photo from the round before of the FA Cup that year against Sheffield Wednesday:
500ae5324fc29eede9cfde377c328ed5.jpg

loads of cars/coaches there!

There were 68,614 that day n’all
Mind your car for a farthing, mister!

Here’s a photo from the round before of the FA Cup that year against Sheffield Wednesday:
500ae5324fc29eede9cfde377c328ed5.jpg

loads of cars/coaches there!

There were 68,614 that day n’all
And that game was a replay, played on a Wednesday afternoon, employers gave City fans the afternoon off, what a crowd in those circumstances.

86 years ago today 84,569 record crowd at Maine road gates closed before ko,my dad was at the game aged 21.Also my birthday today a young 68.Should also mention he was at the first game at Maine road 1923 aged 10 with his dad my grandad v Sheff Utd.
My Grandfather was born in 1911 and as far as I am aware he supported City all his life so in my mind he was also at that game. Obviously I have no proof but my nostalgia would like to think it was the case. I also used to believe he played for City but was rudely disabused of that notion as I grew up. I have a fancy that he may have played for Brighton reserves during WW2 though.

My late Grandad, who died in 1989 and would have been 21 at the time of the Stoke game, always insisted that the gate was a lot bigger than officially announced. Said it was bedlam that day, with serious over crowding in parts of the Kippax.

That replay against Sheffield Wednesday of which the photo is shown above would have taken place on a midweek afternoon. In those circumstances, 68K was a hell of a gate.

21 at the time of the Stoke game, always insisted that the gate was a lot bigger
Peter Swales grandad likes this post

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.