failsworth blues

r01z said:
Good pub the Willow, usually in there before a home game and many times after!

Was at the supporters meeting and had the pleasure of meeting Tony Book and Dennis Tueart

He employs some bloody gorgeous bar staff in there too... ;-)

back on topic (if that's ok? ;)
I used to go to away games with the Failsworth / Hollinwood blues from the Railway at Hollinwood, opposite the station.
Had many a 6am pint for long away trips, and recall the 1-0 win at Stoke in Division 3, a Friday night game. We were coming along Oldham Road around 11pm, Malc the landlord stopped the coach, rang the pub and said to the bar staff that the punters needed to be out by 11.15pm. We just sat there until that time, turned up at the empty pub, curtains shut, jukebox off and carried on drinking. I must have left around 3am and it was still going strong!
The illegal hours drinking from the blues kept that pub in business for a lot longer than it would have done without it!

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
back on topic (if that's ok? ;)
I used to go to away games with the Failsworth / Hollinwood blues from the Railway at Hollinwood, opposite the station.
Had many a 6am pint for long away trips, and recall the 1-0 win at Stoke in Division 3, a Friday night game. We were coming along Oldham Road around 11pm, Malc the landlord stopped the coach, rang the pub and said to the bar staff that the punters needed to be out by 11.15pm. We just sat there until that time, turned up at the empty pub, curtains shut, jukebox off and carried on drinking. I must have left around 3am and it was still going strong!
The illegal hours drinking from the blues kept that pub in business for a lot longer than it would have done without it!

Hahahaha Malc's a legend the amount of times I used to stumble out of there at 6 or 7 in the morning was ridiculous, when he got rid of the pub the bloke who bought it off him stopped doing stuff for the blues, putting on coaches, staying open late etc etc. that took pretty much 3/4's of his custom away immediately eventually leading to it shutting then becoming the tapas place it is today.

I remember the first time I ever met Malc before we played Newcastle away I must have been 17/18 walked in the pub ordered a pint (possibly castlemaine xxxx, what an awful pint that was by the way) had a swig then threw up all over the floor, Malc walked round the bar thrust a mop and bucket towards me and told me to finish my pint once id mopped my sick up, top bloke!

I remember walking in one saturday morning just after Healy had scored the winner for Our Wee Country at Windsor against England, seen the big St Georges Cross flag behind the bar and said nice of you to be supporting the England Cricket Team, was just told to take your pint and fuck off you cheeky wee **** lol, cant really imagine the locals then being into tapas tbh.

A mate walked in the Railway a few years ago to meet me before the game, it was very busy at the time. He walks up to the bar and asks for a coke to which the barmaid replied, shouted at the top of her voice I might add......"you want a fucking coke? You big fairy this is a fucking pub"" Everyone in the place pissed themselves while my mate just looked like he wanted the floor to open up and swallow him.
Funny as fuck, needless to say he ALWAYS ordered a pint after that day.

Railway was a cracking pub, spent a lot of time in there after matches when I first moved back up north.

one of the first times I went in (still living in Oxford) I asked my mate to get me a coffee, his reply was "If I ask that barmaid for a coffee, she's liable to hit me over the head with a kettle", so I got a half instead.

The coaches that ran from there to away games had a good bunch of lads on.

Ha ha yes I know exactly which barmaid you are on about! She was really great and took shit from no one, but always in a humouress way, funny as fuck!

Travelled away games on the bus for about 3 years, 1998 - 2001 and home games for the first 2 years at Eastlands.

Gaudino said:
r01z said:
Good pub the Willow, usually in there before a home game and many times after!

Was at the supporters meeting and had the pleasure of meeting Tony Book and Dennis Tueart

He employs some bloody gorgeous bar staff in there too... ;-)

Hey! I went school with half of them. Good pub. There is the Wheatsheaf as well but the Willow is a better atmosphere.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.