Fairytale of New York

I disagree
i lived in Manchester from 1958 until 1991 and never heard the word used once to describe a homosexual. I had two friends at school who were homosexual and they never used the term.
Just to check for myself I looked up the term on Wiki where it states it’s been in use in North America since 1917 but only recently used in Britain due to media crossover. It goes on to list the usual terms used, which I certainly remembered, and also the meaning of the words fag (cigarettes/public school gofers) and faggot (food).
That's fair enough mate if it's something you and they never heard, and I can certainly understand why they wouldn't use the term themselves, but I grew up with a gay brother in Wythenshawe mostly, so I do know what I heard and faggot was one of the main ones.

Born in 1951 and raised in Manchester.
Never heard the term used at any time until the late 70s/90s.

So, let me get this straight:

Classic Christmas song, with a single word that 'may' be upsetting to certain homosexual men and professional offendees (AKA Snowflakes) = BAD?

Racists and sexist Gansgster Rap/Grime = GOOD?

Worlds gone mad.

Not sure what this means.

Classic Christmas song gets edited just like gangster rap and grime = no need to get worked up.

Not sure what this means.

Classic Christmas song gets edited just like gangster rap and grime = no need to get worked up.
Fairytale of New York uses historical language (Irish slang word for a lazy person or a waster) in context. A lot of grime and gangster rap uses deliberate derogatory language, for which radio stations just casually edit whilst still retaining the inference of the language.

There's the difference.

Last edited:
Fairytale of New York uses a word (Irish slang word for a lazy person or a waster) in context. A lot of grime and gangster rap uses deliberate derogatory language, for which radio stations just casually edit whilst still retaining the inference of the language.

There's the difference.

The edited fairytale of New York retains the inference of the language as you defined it, whilst removing a homophobic slur that even the original artists were uncomfortable 30 years ago and now want removed.

The edited fairytale of New York retains the inference of the language as you defined it, whilst removing a homophobic slur that even the original artists were uncomfortable 30 years ago and now want removed.

That still doesn't defend the use of derogatory language in gangster rap and grime that radio stations casually edit whilst ignoring the inference.

The two things are not the same.

That still doesn't defend the use of derogatory language in gangster rap and grime that radio stations casually edit whilst ignoring the inference.

The two things are not the same.

What the fuck are you going on about?

Songs, regardless of genre, get radio edits. That's the be all and end all.

I see you're part of the 'worlds gone mad' brigade, have a day off.

I don’t know him intimately. Just seen a couple of interviews and he seems a nice normal lad. A lot of what he is saying resonates with people. He must have been mad to think marrying Billy Piper was a wise move however.
Lovely comments about the NHS today. What a nice normal lad lozza fox is.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.