Fairytale of New York

I'm offended by the use of the word "fairy" in the title. Clearly the song is nothing more than a thinly-veiled attack on homosexuals and anyone even humming it should be locked up indefinitely. Unless, of course, they can prove that they were actually humming "the broad majestic Shannon" which seems, to me, to be essentially the same tune with different words.

I'm offended by the use of the word "fairy" in the title. Clearly the song is nothing more than a thinly-veiled attack on homosexuals and anyone even humming it should be locked up indefinitely. Unless, of course, they can prove that they were actually humming "the broad majestic Shannon" which seems, to me, to be essentially the same tune with different words.

A great song that

But that's language for you, to go to the extreme example It's like all these yanks on social media decrying Cùnt, it has been in old english and is in shakespear, was alway a curse that was multi use like bollocks and bloody (though more offensive) yet in america it is a particularry nasty slur against women and so the american twitterverse gets up in arms anytime someone from the UK, Oz, Canada, NZ use it, where though bad is not seen in the same perspective.
Well that's the great irony of American political correctness. They are so keen to ensure that other cultures don't get offended that they try to impose American cultural standards worldwide. The one that I always remember was a KFC advert aired during a test match between Australia and the West Indies. An Australia fan (white) accidentally goes into the West Indies section and finds himself surrounded by angry West Indies fans (black). He breaks out the KFC bucket and shares it with everyone, and suddenly they're best friends. A fairly innocuous advert, but when certain Americans saw it, they lost their shit and accused the advert of perpetuating stereotypes of black people loving fried chicken. Never mind that this was an Australian advert and that is an American stereotype. When called out on their cultural imperialism, they switched their argument to saying that they were still right because KFC was an American company.

The most recent example that sums it up was this little Twitter exchange:

The now deleted post from Variety magazine was something like "Sandra Oh to be first Asian to host award ceremony ever." Now deleted, so obviously it's just an oversight, but that's just one example of the American bubble that this sort of thing often emerges from. Some people were genuinely surprised that the first Hollywood film with an all-Asian cast, Crazy Rich Asians, has had a relatively lukewarm reception in Asia itself. But in Asia, an all-Asian cast simply isn't any sort of milestone.

Bollocks, wanker, tosser etc can be in scripts aired on american telly on shows , where here they cannot pre watershed, that's the beauty of language, it evolves and censoring it in art, literature, song from previous generations because we deem it offensive now is a load of bollocks imho.
I don't know. Certainly banning things is ridiculous, but that's a bit different from actually promoting them. The BBC is hardly going to say, "And now it's time for your Christmas afternoon film, Birth of a Nation" but you can still buy it if you want.

The exeption are people who purposely write offensive songs, with the intent to stir shit or propergate hate, those should be censored or banned.

Context is everything and in the song the context isn't homohobic, but a wifes rant at her drunken husband.
I don't think that's really a defence, because it's like the argument a few years ago that using 'gay' as an insult to mean anything generally bad wasn't homophobic, because it wasn't directed at a gay person. I don't think that argument generally holds up. If the word is being used as an insult, I'm not sure it matter whether she was actually inferring that he was homosexual, unless there genuinely was another meaning for it at the time. It's also worth mentioning that most songs that include the n-word are not using it as an insult, and yet they are routinely censored before the watershed.

The other day, some nob head was after banning Live Aids Do They Know it’s Christmas because it’s wording refers to Africa as a whole and not Ethiopia directly, blighting the entire continent as famine ravaged.

Fuck me, some people must sit by their tv, radio and web browser just waiting to be offended.
It is a good point to raise though.... I mean, do the Egyptians, Tunisians and Lybians know it is Xmas time when the population is Muslim?
Do us Christians know when it is Ramadam?

Well that's the great irony of American political correctness. They are so keen to ensure that other cultures don't get offended that they try to impose American cultural standards worldwide. The one that I always remember was a KFC advert aired during a test match between Australia and the West Indies. An Australia fan (white) accidentally goes into the West Indies section and finds himself surrounded by angry West Indies fans (black). He breaks out the KFC bucket and shares it with everyone, and suddenly they're best friends. A fairly innocuous advert, but when certain Americans saw it, they lost their shit and accused the advert of perpetuating stereotypes of black people loving fried chicken. Never mind that this was an Australian advert and that is an American stereotype. When called out on their cultural imperialism, they switched their argument to saying that they were still right because KFC was an American company.

The most recent example that sums it up was this little Twitter exchange:

The now deleted post from Variety magazine was something like "Sandra Oh to be first Asian to host award ceremony ever." Now deleted, so obviously it's just an oversight, but that's just one example of the American bubble that this sort of thing often emerges from. Some people were genuinely surprised that the first Hollywood film with an all-Asian cast, Crazy Rich Asians, has had a relatively lukewarm reception in Asia itself. But in Asia, an all-Asian cast simply isn't any sort of milestone.

Yeah CRA had me raise an eyebrow tbf being married to an Asian and having lived in Asia and when young having alargw collection og HK cinema when the tag line first all asian film was flashed everywhere, but ubderstandadly a breakthrough in the US where Asians have been under representated and tbf it is something to celebrate in the US.

Thing is Asian American culture is vastly different to how we percieve Asians in the UK.

I don't know. Certainly banning things is ridiculous, but that's a bit different from actually promoting them. The BBC is hardly going to say, "And now it's time for your Christmas afternoon film, Birth of a Nation" but you can still buy it if you want.

I don't think that's really a defence, because it's like the argument a few years ago that using 'gay' as an insult to mean anything generally bad wasn't homophobic, because it wasn't directed at a gay person. I don't think that argument generally holds up. If the word is being used as an insult, I'm not sure it matter whether she was actually inferring that he was homosexual, unless there genuinely was another meaning for it at the time. It's also worth mentioning that most songs that include the n-word are not using it as an insult, and yet they are routinely censored before the watershed.

I agree but in the context of this song, the insult is being put in a a list of insults in what we are pecieved to see as rant, if anything it is in because it rhymes with maggot.

"You're a bum
You're a punk
You're an old slut on junk
Lying there almost dead on a drip in that bed
You scumbag, you maggot
You cheap lousy faggot
Happy Christmas your arse
I pray God it's our last"

A wife picking up her useless twat of a husband from the drunk tank and having an arguement, this context to me shows unlile Dire Straits use it was purely musically based lyrically rather than to purposely insult.

I see the N-word point, for FToNY you could censore it or ban it till gone 9pm.

It is a good point to raise though.... I mean, do the Egyptians, Tunisians and Lybians know it is Xmas time when the population is Muslim?
Do us Christians know when it is Ramadam?

Normally June-ish Ramadan
May for Viashaka
Forget when Dwaili is but I think end of September early October.

Last edited:
Are you hanging up a stocking on your wall?
It's the time that every Santa has a ball
Does he ride a red-nosed reindeer?
Does he turn up on his sleigh?
Do the fairies keep him sober for a day?

Horrible fucker that Santa, obviously pissed up most of the year and a hint he may be shagging one of his staff. Think he needs to be sacked, this unsavoury character has been drinking on the job, drink driving in possession of loads of gear and taking advantage of a reindeer who is also an alcoholic, the red nose gives it away.

Kids, Christmas is cancelled.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.