Fake faith for school?

difficult one this, I'd want my child to get the best education possible but I could never willingly allow them to embrace Catholicism, I believe Catholicism (like most religions TBH) to be completely hypocritical. I don't like any sort of religion but Catholicism seems to be one of the worse IMO.

mikey4 said:
citykev28 said:
It's being discussed on BBC at the moment. The reason I ask is because living in Hull means the schools round here are shite. The best school in the area is a catholic school. I'm a catholic but don't believe in god. The kids aren't christened but a teacher at the eldest lad's primary school told me that in my position, he'd christen his child catholic to get him in there. The lad is interested in this school but I need to act quick because he only has a year left at primary school.

I had my lad Christened Catholic so he could get in the best school, its no big deal and you get to have a piss up after the christening and he gets in the best school, double whammy.

He got his report last week, one of the remarks was that he had performed really well in the "understanding Islam" project that they did. I dont remember doing anything like that at school. Why do they have to understand Islam??

Would you say that if it was "Understanding Hinduism?" I suspect not.
They do need to understand Islam as over 1 billion people in the world believe in that religion and they are likely to come across many muslims in their lifetime.

MCFC 4 EVER said:
mikey4 said:
citykev28 said:
It's being discussed on BBC at the moment. The reason I ask is because living in Hull means the schools round here are shite. The best school in the area is a catholic school. I'm a catholic but don't believe in god. The kids aren't christened but a teacher at the eldest lad's primary school told me that in my position, he'd christen his child catholic to get him in there. The lad is interested in this school but I need to act quick because he only has a year left at primary school.

I had my lad Christened Catholic so he could get in the best school, its no big deal and you get to have a piss up after the christening and he gets in the best school, double whammy.

He got his report last week, one of the remarks was that he had performed really well in the "understanding Islam" project that they did. I dont remember doing anything like that at school. Why do they have to understand Islam??
Political correctness. Take Leicester for an example for every 1 catholic there are three muslims (Aprox) and now the schools are making classes learn about Islam from as young as six or seven it is ridiculous, I have nothing against muslims or any other religion but parents should decide if they want there children learning about other religions
Parents do have the right to decide if they want their child to learn about 'other' religions - and by other I presume you mean other than Christianity. Parents can remove their child from any/all R.E. lessons they wish, just as a teacher can refuse to teach it, so make an appointment with the head teacher tomorrow and they won't ever have to learn about any religion again.

It's a shame we can't ban all "faith" schools and give every kid an equal shot at a good education regardless of the flavour of mumbo jumbo their parents may subscribe to.

117 M34 said:
Parents do have the right to decide if they want their child to learn about 'other' religions - and by other I presume you mean other than Christianity. Parents can remove their child from any/all R.E. lessons they wish, just as a teacher can refuse to teach it, so make an appointment with the head teacher tomorrow and they won't ever have to learn about any religion again.

Whether you're the Son of Richard Dawkins or Billy Graham then I think it's so important to be educated on the beliefs and practices of others despite your own personal views. It's important for social cohesion because we live in such a diverse Country now.

Religious Education must be taught in Schools but, to appease the aggressive secularlists who'll take the thread over, it must be done in a neutral manner regardless of who teaches it.

Refusing to learn about something despite holding an alternative view is ignorant.

Gelsons Dad said:
It's a shame we can't ban all "faith" schools and give every kid an equal shot at a good education regardless of the flavour of mumbo jumbo their parents may subscribe to.
There'd still be fee paying schools.
You'd have to ban them too so everyone gets an equal shot regardless of parents wages.

PrestwichPeteMcfc said:
Gelsons Dad said:
You'd have to ban them too so everyone gets an equal shot regardless of parents wages.

Yep happy for that to happen too. Equal playing field and reward effort and achievement. Give every child the education they deserve and are capable of.

Gelsons Dad said:
PrestwichPeteMcfc said:
Gelsons Dad said:

Yep happy for that to happen too. Equal playing field and reward effort and achievement. Give every child the education they deserve and are capable of.
Yeah I agree. But instead of getting rid of the good schools so everyone goes to a poor one and has an equal chance, we need to make the poor schools better so they're as good as fee paying/faith schools.

peoffrey said:
Johnsonontheleft said:
Yep I got our first christened for the same reason, so she could go to a catholic school if it was the best in the area.

It was a pointless exercise though, because last I heard the catholic primary school had filled up with poles and the standards had gone down as a result of the language issues.

Church attendances have increased because of migration from Poland. Their Kids have as much of a right to an education as yours do.

So? What's your point? If a school goes to pot, for whatever reason, I won't send my kids there because I want them to get the best education I can give them - that is the only point I was making.<br /><br />-- Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:37 pm --<br /><br />
PrestwichPeteMcfc said:
Gelsons Dad said:
PrestwichPeteMcfc said:

Yeah I agree. But instead of getting rid of the good schools so everyone goes to a poor one and has an equal chance, we need to make the poor schools better so they're as good as fee paying/faith schools.

And who would you suggest pays for this, in a country struggling to pay the bills as things are at the moment.

Johnsonontheleft said:
peoffrey said:
Johnsonontheleft said:
Yep I got our first christened for the same reason, so she could go to a catholic school if it was the best in the area.

It was a pointless exercise though, because last I heard the catholic primary school had filled up with poles and the standards had gone down as a result of the language issues.

Church attendances have increased because of migration from Poland. Their Kids have as much of a right to an education as yours do.

So? What's your point? If a school goes to pot, for whatever reason, I won't send my kids there because I want them to get the best education I can give them - that is the only point I was making.

-- Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:37 pm --

PrestwichPeteMcfc said:
Gelsons Dad said:

And who would you suggest pays for this, in a country struggling to pay the bills as things are at the moment.

There's no point it getting rid of the good schools so that everyone has an equal but poor education.
If we can't make the poor (state) schools schools better the faith schools should stay.

Johnsonontheleft said:
So? What's your point? If a school goes to pot, for whatever reason, I won't send my kids there because I want them to get the best education I can give them - that is the only point I was making.

A child who has been Christened in order to get in to a good School as opposed to being Christened to join the Church is wrong. The place at the Religious School should go to the Church member first. I know Churches are all welcoming but it seems false for the baptism to take place in order to only benefit the Child's education.

Just my perspective as a devout Agnostic.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.