Father son & daughter tragedy

When I was a kid my dad was in the British Royal Air Force and we were stationed in Limassol, Cyprus. I was 5 at the time, and one time we all took a day trip to the beach, along with some other families. We were all were sat on the sandy beach, sunbathing, having dips in the sea, under the hot sun, having a wonderful time. Lots of laughter and merriment. After a while I decided to wonder off and explore some rocks further up the coast. I set off alone.

When I got to the rocks I scrambled up to the top and descended down other side, next to the sea. From this vantage point I couldn’t see another soul. I was stood on a big rock, and looked down into the water, which looked black. I jumped cheerfully into the water. (I’ll just add at this point that I *couldn’t* swim). I hit the water and plummeted straight down, like a balloon made out of lead. The water was very deep. I was underwater looking up. I could see shafts of light stabbing down into the murk, glistening like an assassins daggers.

My eyes were open and the salt was searing into them. I scrambled frantically with my arms and legs, but sank further down. I opened my mouth to scream, but the water flooded down my throat into my lungs. I knew I was in deep shit. With one last adrenalized effort I scrambled harder and finally broke surface, coughing up salt water, hardly able to breathe. I dragged myself onto a rock and lay there choking, coughing, feeling faint, eyes burning.

After 10-minutes I’d regained some semblance of equilibrium, so stood up and set off groggily back to the beach party. They were all in a good mood, lots of smiles and laughter. I collapsed onto the ground, onto my beach towel, thinking, “Fuck!!”

My friend Paul ran up to me and said, “Neil, come in for a swim, there waters lovely!”.

Last edited:
When I was a kid my dad was in the British Royal Air Force and we were stationed in Limassol, Cyprus. I was 5 at the time, and one time we all took a day trip to the beach, along with some other families. We were all were sat on the sandy beach, sunbathing, having dips in the sea, under the hot sun, having a wonderful time. Lots of laughter and merriment. After a while I decided to wonder off and explore some rocks further up the coast. I set off alone.

When I got to the rocks I scrambled up to the top and descended down other side, next to the sea. From this vantage point I couldn’t see another soul. I was stood on a big rock, and looked down into the water, which looked black. I jumped cheerfully into the water. (I’ll just add at this point that I *couldn’t* swim). I hit the water and plummeted straight down, like a balloon made out of lead. The water was very deep. I was underwater looking up. I could see the summer sun shining down into the water, it’s rays glistening like an assassins daggers.

My eyes were open and the salt was searing into them. I scrambled frantically with my arms and legs, but sank further down. I opened my mouth to scream, but the water flooded down my throat into my lungs. I knew I was in deep shit. With one last adrenalized effort I scrambled harder and finally broke surface, coughing up salt water, hardly able to breathe. I dragged myself onto a rock and lay there choking, coughing, feeling faint, eyes burning.

After 10-minutes I’d regained some semblance of equilibrium, so stood up and set off groggily back to the beach party. They were all in a good mood, lots of smiles and laughter. I collapsed onto the ground, onto my beach towel, thinking, “Fuck!!”

My friend Paul ran up to me and said, “Neil, come in for a swim, there waters lovely!”.
Eggsackerly mate and thanks for posting a peronal experience. Folk have absolutely no idea how drowning can occur in the most innocuous circumtances that soon turn tragic

I got caught in a rip tide one time on a boogie board off the Florida coast, I could feel it pulling me out against the main tide. At a certain point I remember thinking I needed to get my shit together fast, hard to say how far off shore I was, enough to realize I had to do something. Ended up tying the leash to my ankle and front crawling across the tide, parallel to the shore as hard as I could. After a short while I could feel that I had got out and was able to relax for a little bit before having to work my way back in shore, ended up about seven blocks away from where I went out.

When I got to the rocks I scrambled up to the top and descended down other side, next to the sea. From this vantage point I couldn’t see another soul. I was stood on a big rock, and looked down into the water, which looked black. I jumped cheerfully into the water. (I’ll just add at this point that I *couldn’t* swim). I hit the water and plummeted straight down, like a balloon made out of lead. The water was very deep. I was underwater looking up. I could see the summer sun shining down into the water, it’s rays glistening like an assassins daggers.

Anyone else get to that bit of "i set off alone" and started hearing dramatic music or the Jaws theme.
"Nooooooooo, don't do it........"

Very true.
Swimming pools are very simple things the only possible way that a pool could kill you besides drowning because you can't swim is an electrical appliance fell into the pool thereby rendering the swimmers either dead or unconscious.
Pool pump electrical supply is very well isolated from the water entering and leaving the pump also there are failsafes, trip switches that would shut the pump down in case of malfunctions.
That said I suppose in a country like Spain that seems to have low safety regulations maybe a pump had been repaired or badly installed.
i used to have a large Koi pond and i had elecricity leakage from a pump in that,i assume 240v but it seemed to spread itslef over the area of the pond and not have the effect of sticking your fingers in the plug socket,the fish did not die but were curved like a banana for a few days then regained their shape,more confined spaces like a bath they would have been dead just as a person would be

Strange one this.
The first two things i would be looking at was the water drain at the bottom of the pool.
This should be fitted with a large grate that prevents a person being sucked/trapped. It should be near impossible for it to be totally blocked by a person.
Second, would be to check for an electrical fault. There could have been one, that was quickly fixed. Or it's intermittent.

I think that the simple answer is the most likely. That none of the family could swim.
If my kids got in trouble in a pool, i wouldn't be running off looking for help.
It was quoted that the father walked into the pool using the steps. A swimmer would have dived/jumped in and grabbed the child.
What did she want others to do that her (supposed swimming) husband couldn't do? Surely a mother would stay near to help drag the kids out.
Even a none swimming father is going to go underwater to try and save your kids. Panicking, maybe he gulped down water.

So i think maybe they all panicked. She ran off looking for help after seeing the brother and father fail to come up again.
Total tragedy either way.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.