Favourite flavour of soup

Stuart said:
LongsightM13 said:
So here's a genuine query for stuart, the op and other masterchefs. When does a soup technically become a stew?
You mean a soup , to a broth , to a stew , to a casserole ? ;-)
Yeah, summat like that. Does it depend on liquid to solid ratio? Some soups are definitely more like a stew. No pun intended

I'd harazd a guess at cooking length? Soups are generally quite fast, stews are cooked for longer. Stew is more associated with chunks, because chunks (specifically meat) take longer to cook.

I am guessing.

pee dubya said:
I'd harazd a guess at cooking length? Soups are generally quite fast, stews are cooked for longer. Stew is more associated with chunks, because chunks (specifically meat) take longer to cook.

I am guessing.

That's more or less right mate . You wouldn't slow simmer a soup on the hob for an hour and half , or in the oven on gas mark 4 for a couple of hours .
Some soups are blended near the end of the recipe , but you wouldn't blend a stew or a casserole , unless you were weaning your kid onto solids , being fed through a straw/drip or just fuckin' mental ?
Some soups require a 'roux' ( flour and butter ) as a thickening agent , some don't . I'll sometimes use a roux in stews or casseroles , sometimes won't . It all depends on the dish .

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.