Fear Factor - Teams scared of us?

Not sure I'd put the Newcastle game in that bracket. 1) They had a great result last week and a full week to prepare. 2) We've lost two highly influential players in Gundogan and Mahrez. 3) We had injuries to key players in KDB, Bernardo and Stones. 4) We've just had a highly competitive game midweek with very little recovery/preparation time. So Newcastle will have gone into this game full of confidence and fancying their chances. Not sure people have grasped how good that performance/result was and I don't think we should cheapen it by suggesting the opposition were there for the taking.

Our physicality is a factor too especially at home
Hard to break us down
We are a much physically bigger and stronger team now than say the 2017 squad. I suspect this is deliberate as pep is too meticulous and obsessive to do it by accident. A big turn around though - a few years ago I remember watching something about how pep revolutionised the game with small/agile players.

I think there is a fear factor playing us, we can dismantle any team in the world when we want to.

The one part I believe you're overlooking though is our style of play.

Our ability to retain the ball makes it appear as though the other team are giving up. Newcastle have developed a very good press, it can be relentless but the technical ability of our players to keep the ball, particularly in midfield is so high, that all teams can do is sit back and wait for us attack, in order for them to get the ball back.

We are a much physically bigger and stronger team now than say the 2017 squad. I suspect this is deliberate as pep is too meticulous and obsessive to do it by accident. A big turn around though - a few years ago I remember watching something about how pep revolutionised the game with small/agile players.
Yes it’s mad in my opinion how Pep has reinvented this team and totally changed his philosophy on an obsession with small agile players
He’s done away with full backs and nippy wingers even almost

The one part I believe you're overlooking though is our style of play.

Our ability to retain the ball makes it appear as though the other team are giving up. Newcastle have developed a very good press, it can be relentless but the technical ability of our players to keep the ball, particularly in midfield is so high, that all teams can do is sit back and wait for us attack, in order for them to get the ball back.
Absolutely, and yesterday was a great example.

We played very well for long periods, but Newcastle also had good periods, the thing I enjoyed was that we rarely looked vulnerable, and they are a good side.

Our problem is that we struggle to break down teams who just want to block, and without Kev that may become an issue. That said, we've played many teams without Kev over the last 3 years, and we generally still find a way.

Not sure people have grasped how good that performance/result was and I don't think we should cheapen it by suggesting the opposition were there for the taking.
Totally agree, I was worried before the game yesterday, I was thinking we might get beat, but we never really looked in any danger, it might have only been 1-0, but it was a game that was pretty comfortable.

On top of that several players had (for them) poor games, Haaland in particular, but also Grealish, and Alvarez. Some of our players looked very tired near the end too, Foden for one, but he never gave up.

First noticed it with us when yaya was playing. Teams would actively be wary and be hesitant on either closing down or putting in a challenge, and he'd take full advantage. He protected the ball so well and players just bounced off him.

It was certainly a thing with the rags in the 90s and early 00s, teams would expect to get beat and had the mindset that even a point or narrow defeat was a bonus, and therefore are half defeated even before they step on the pitch.

I do think in recent seasons this has been mitigated somewhat by ultra defensive and counter attacking tactics. Teams don't panic as much at one down now, but it's still there. Especially when they know that they're going to be running like mad and facing 80% possession against for 90 minutes sorry 120 minutes with the new rules.

When Haaland or Kev get the ball and run at them, you can see the doubt in some opponent's eyes. Tackle? Show outside? Or just not fall on my arse? Oh bother, he's already past me....

Saw this comment below in the athletic and about Newcastle not looking like team with week of preparation…

Fear factor is real even Bruno G at Newcastle said just as much over the summer with size and feeling like there is more players in the pitch.

Attachments

• IMG_2410.jpeg
    IMG_2410.jpeg
    499.8 KB · Views: 15

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.