Fernandinho - 2017/18 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's such a shame that he isn't a few years younger. It's vital that whoever we sign this summer can perform at a similar level next sesson. Fernandinho has been such an incredible signing.

Happy for him. Still doesn't change my opinion that he is not underated, as is often claimed, and can be replaced.

Pep has players he loves, and I don't begrudge him that. But the facts are when Dihno doesn't play we are still as dominant. That's the proof of whether he can be replaced. He is kinda like Aguero, who also is great, but as almost everyone knows, there often isn't a drop off when he doesn't play.

Take out Ederson, Kev, Silva, or Sane and there is a noticeable drop off. Same used to be true of Ota, but I sense with a healthy Kompany and Larporte we might have covered that.

The truth is there is no significant drop off without Dihno. I love the guy, but those are just the facts.
No it isnt its your opinion. We've been fortunate hes been fit basically the whole season.

Happy for him. Still doesn't change my opinion that he is not underated, as is often claimed, and can be replaced.

Pep has players he loves, and I don't begrudge him that. But the facts are when Dihno doesn't play we are still as dominant. That's the proof of whether he can be replaced. He is kinda like Aguero, who also is great, but as almost everyone knows, there often isn't a drop off when he doesn't play.

Take out Ederson, Kev, Silva, or Sane and there is a noticeable drop off. Same used to be true of Ota, but I sense with a healthy Kompany and Larporte we might have covered that.

The truth is there is no significant drop off without Dihno. I love the guy, but those are just the facts.

There was a significant difference in quality when Gundogan played in his spot.

Which of the games with our strongest team out there with Gundogan in DM did we play under par? The second half of the LC final? The 3-0 at The Emirates or the 1-0 vs Chelsea?

I made a point earlier about Toure and it applies here too. Fernandinho has a certain skillset that would be tough to directly replicate, but to say we'd suffer without him wouldn't be the case if we had another quality player in his place. Dax isn't knocking Fernandinho on performances, he's just stating that there are more than enough players out there that could play the role to an equally good (albeit different in style) standard if necessary, without affecting the fundamentals of how we play.

As an example, prior to this season we looked lost without Kompany at the back. No Kompany = dodgy defence. This year, particularly at the start we were able to play without Kompany and we didn't suffer. That's because Otamendi and Stones were able to do a great job in their own right. Neither of those two players though can bring to the table what Kompany brought, but they both had their own styles of play that when incorporated into the team, with Pep at the helm coaching, meant we still played to an extremely high level. It was different to the way we would have played with Kompany in the team, but it worked.

We've spent almost the entire season without our only actual left back in Mendy. A player with a truly unique way of playing within our team. But we brought in Delph, adapted the way the team played, and are now set to break PL records in the process, on top of the many we've already broken, without Mendy.

We've spent stretches of the season with just one of Aguero or Jesus. Two entirely different players, but we've had great success whichever one we've been stuck with.

There are only certain players that are completely irreplaceable in our team. Take them out and our entire way of playing becomes dramatically altered. In my opinion that list includes Ederson, Otamendi, KDB and Silva (and Mendy, but the injury happened early enough into his City career for us to not to be too damaged by it). Our entire approach to the game has to change with just one of them missing. Fernandinho is no on that list. I assume Dax's point on Fernandinho not being irreplaceable can be extended to anyone who's not Ederson, KDB, Silva or Sane in his own opinion.

Nobody is saying Fernandinho isn't good. Nobody's saying they don't appreciate how brilliant he's been, and how important he's been for our season. His ability to combine discipline, physicality and positional sense on top of his ever improving possession game haven't gone unnoticed. It's just that our team isn't built around his abilities and we can slot in another player without it having a huge negative impact on performances.

Sorry for making assumptions if I've gone wrong @Dax777, but I feel like you're putting you're neck out with a good point and I'm not feeling lazy like I normally do so I've added my point too.

If you say so. But the facts disagree with you.

Similar slightly better pass completion stats
Similar average of shots given up
Slightly better than normal possession
Zero goals conceded
3-0 won away from home.
It's really hard to find any objective drop in quality.

Perhaps there are emotional valuations that suggest otherwise. Both no objective ones bare out your claim.

If you have some, feel free to share.

Which of the games with our strongest team out there with Gundogan in DM did we play under par? The second half of the LC final? The 3-0 at The Emirates or the 1-0 vs Chelsea?

I made a point earlier about Toure and it applies here too. Fernandinho has a certain skillset that would be tough to directly replicate, but to say we'd suffer without him wouldn't be the case if we had another quality player in his place. Dax isn't knocking Fernandinho on performances, he's just stating that there are more than enough players out there that could play the role to an equally good (albeit different in style) standard if necessary, without affecting the fundamentals of how we play.

As an example, prior to this season we looked lost without Kompany at the back. No Kompany = dodgy defence. This year, particularly at the start we were able to play without Kompany and we didn't suffer. That's because Otamendi and Stones were able to do a great job in their own right. Neither of those two players though can bring to the table what Kompany brought, but they both had their own styles of play that when incorporated into the team, with Pep at the helm coaching, meant we still played to an extremely high level. It was different to the way we would have played with Kompany in the team, but it worked.

We've spent almost the entire season without our only actual left back in Mendy. A player with a truly unique way of playing within our team. But we brought in Delph, adapted the way the team played, and are now set to break PL records in the process, on top of the many we've already broken, without Mendy.

We've spent stretches of the season with just one of Aguero or Jesus. Two entirely different players, but we've had great success whichever one we've been stuck with.

There are only certain players that are completely irreplaceable in our team. Take them out and our entire way of playing becomes dramatically altered. In my opinion that list includes Ederson, Otamendi, KDB and Silva (and Mendy, but the injury happened early enough into his City career for us to not to be too damaged by it). Our entire approach to the game has to change with just one of them missing. Fernandinho is no on that list. I assume Dax's point on Fernandinho not being irreplaceable can be extended to anyone who's not Ederson, KDB, Silva or Sane in his own opinion.

Nobody is saying Fernandinho isn't good. Nobody's saying they don't appreciate how brilliant he's been, and how important he's been for our season. His ability to combine discipline, physicality and positional sense on top of his ever improving possession game haven't gone unnoticed. It's just that our team isn't built around his abilities and we can slot in another player without it having a huge negative impact on performances.

Sorry for making assumptions if I've gone wrong @Dax777, but I feel like you're putting you're neck out with a good point and I'm not feeling lazy like I normally do so I've added my point too.
Dude, you do a better job of representing mu opinions than I do. I'm just gonna differ to you from now on. :)

Anyone has any questions related to my opinion on Dihno talk to my Lawyer- Mccitty. He is clearly better at expressing the opinion that I am. :)

It's such a shame that he isn't a few years younger. It's vital that whoever we sign this summer can perform at a similar level next sesson. Fernandinho has been such an incredible signing.
Not many players similar to him. So much more to his game than people recognize. Glad Pep appreciates him. Will be tough to replace

Does this possible ban if he gets another yellow card hang over him for the rest of the season, or is there an amnesty for the last x games? The fella is vital to the team (despite what some seem to think).

He has been an amazing signing and I think can be just as strong next season. He carries no weight and is as fit as a fiddle. Not a minutes trouble either - fits in with our other gems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.