Fernandinho

Status
Not open for further replies.
mammutly said:
bluethunder said:
he's also a goal scorer:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIO3z_gQimc[/youtube]

he's definitely an upgrade on javi garcia and gareth barry.

he's a powerhouse, an athlete, one of the best central midfielders in the premier league for sure.

Almost anybody would be an upgrade on Javi Garcia. In most games, he could usefully be replaced by a cardboard cut out.

i liked the javi garcia that played for benfica. despite getting so much time on the pitch last year, javi just wasn't good enough.

Fernandinho can defend and obviously has great attacking qualities. I hope that the attacking part of his game is not blunted by being played in a holding role all the time.

It will be very interesting to see the way Pellegrini utilises the talents of both Yaya and Fernandinho in the future.

br62 said:
Fernandinho can defend and obviously has great attacking qualities. I hope that the attacking part of his game is not blunted by being played in a holding role all the time.

It will be very interesting to see the way Pellegrini utilises the talents of both Yaya and Fernandinho in the future.

I've been under the assumption they will rotate attacking duties throughout the match giving the opposition constant problems keeping track/exhausting them.

Last season once Yaya had made a few marauding runs and grown tired (which is understandable) he settled back into a defensive position we had no other DM who could replicate that attacking option. With Fernandinho we can now keep that destructive aspect of our play going for much longer periods as they swap in and out allowing the other to take a breather while the designated attacker causes havok keeping the opposition on the back foot.

Thats what I'm hoping for anyway.

MC ID said:
br62 said:

I've been under the assumption they will rotate attacking duties throughout the match giving the opposition constant problems keeping track/exhausting them.

Last season once Yaya had made a few marauding runs and grown tired (which is understandable) he settled back into a defensive position we had no other DM who could replicate that attacking option. With Fernandinho we can now keep that destructive aspect of our play going for much longer periods as they swap in and out allowing the other to take a breather while the designated attacker causes havok keeping the opposition on the back foot.

we're lucky to have two great central midfielders. the rags are struggling in the middle of the park, they are trying to get fabregas.

chelsea is struggling in that area as well now that frank lampard and essien have aged.

MC ID said:
br62 said:

There is a big problem if they both throughout the game switch roles in defending and attacking, if Fernandinho has pushed forward and we're dispossessed, do you really see Yaya Toure giving it his all to get back and make a last ditch block/tackle like Barry has done so many times, or will he stay with a man all the way back until play has broken down? I just see us being very easily got at if Fernandinho plays any kind of attacking game. Its all well and good Yaya doing it with Barry as cover but I wouldn't like Fernandinho attacking too much with Yaya as cover.

Leave the marauding runs to Yaya, its not like Fernandinho was signed for his goals is it? I think we have enough attacking options without expecting Fernandinho to do any, Jovetic, Negredo, Silva, Aguero, Dzeko, Nasri, Navas, Milner, Yaya and the full backs if needed is plenty. I really really hope they don't both play too attack minded it will leave us far too easy to get at.

dan.j.mcfc said:
Leave the marauding runs to Yaya, its not like Fernandinho was signed for his goals is it?

Fernandinho is one of the best dribblers of any holding midfielder in Europe though, and was the top dribbler in the CL last season. So by limiting him you're depriving your team of one of his best qualities and one of the reasons you pay £30million for an all-round midfielder.

LoveCity said:
dan.j.mcfc said:
Leave the marauding runs to Yaya, its not like Fernandinho was signed for his goals is it?

Fernandinho is one of the best dribblers of any holding midfielder in Europe though, and was the top dribbler in the CL last season. So by limiting him you're depriving your team of one of his best qualities and one of the reasons you pay £30million for an all-round midfielder.

Who would you rather have attacking Yaya with Fernandinho covering or Fernandinho with Yaya covering? I know which I would chose. I accept he his a good dribbler but like I said previously we don't need him to attack we're more than covered in that department, I wouldn't at all be upset if he was used in a similar role to how Busquets is for Barca.

dan.j.mcfc said:
LoveCity said:
dan.j.mcfc said:

Who would you rather have attacking Yaya with Fernandinho covering or Fernandinho with Yaya covering? I know which I would chose. I accept he his a good dribbler but like I said previously we don't need him to attack we're more than covered in that department, I wouldn't at all be upset if he was used in a similar role to how Busquets is for Barca.

So you don't need Fernandinho to attack because we are covered in that department but you would have Yaya attack? What's the difference?

I don't think we'll see one exclusively hold and one attack but rather a balance between the two once they get used to playing together.

In my opinion, Fernandinho will be a lot better at the pressing game than Yaya, who would more likely sweep behind the front 5.

LHarper said:
dan.j.mcfc said:
LoveCity said:

So you don't need Fernandinho to attack because we are covered in that department but you would have Yaya attack? What's the difference?

I don't think we'll see one exclusively hold and one attack but rather a balance between the two once they get used to playing together.

In my opinion, Fernandinho will be a lot better at the pressing game than Yaya, who would more likely sweep behind the front 5.

I disagree completely, I wasn't saying neither of them should attack I was responding to the claim that he was signed because he's such a good dribbler, of course you expect attacking input from midfield and that should come from Yaya IMO. Did Yaya and Barry alternate? Not really and look at our defensive record as a whole over the last few years.

We will be wide open without having a genuine DM playing, in the holding role like Barry. If we deploy both as box to box style midfielders, I genuinely worry about Yaya covering/getting back and with Fernandinho playing a more attacking game as you suggest. I really think we would struggle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.