Fernando Gago

Kinkys Blue Socks said:
Kinkys Blue Socks said:
I don't know what all the fuss is about. We didn't need Gago and Big Mac. Big Mac was first choice and when the work permit was denied late in the day, we tried a last ditch to get Gago but ran out of time.

I don't see anything wrong with this. We could not have lined Gago up just in case Big Mac failed as he wouldn't have felt like first choice and he's hardly going to come then is he!? What with the precious egos footballers have.

It was just one of those things. Not entirely sure we needed any of them to be honest...

I rest my case:-

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11679_5914948,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 48,00.html</a>

what's the point in having a contingency plan if you fuck it up anyway?

Rammy Blue said:
Kinkys Blue Socks said:
I rest my case:-

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11679_5914948,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 48,00.html</a>

You need to take in to account that Gago, in his own agent's words went from "unsellable, to available". This was as much down to Real Madrid as City. They left us with no time to complete the deal even though we had been trying all window.

Kinkys Blue Socks said:
Rammy Blue said:

You need to take in to account that Gago, in his own agent's words went from "unsellable, to available". This was as much down to Real Madrid as City. They left us with no time to complete the deal even though we had been trying all window.

Perhaps that shift is also because they thought City would pay anything to rush it through. After all we bought a right tosser off 'em last time and for £32.5m!

****tin hat on*****

I think Madrid are just pissed that we wouldn`t pay over the odds for the player,which bodes well in the summer for other targets.

this gago is fucking shite and wont be good enuf 4 the champs league next season its a good thing we only signed 2 plrs coz in summer we will be going 4 a better class of player

Kinkys Blue Socks said:
Rammy Blue said:

Our boys did good then eh? Laughable.

Sorry if already posted but.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/feb/03/manchester-city-gago-real-madrid

Manchester City have dismissed Real Madrid's claims that they were to blame for the failed deadline-day attempt to sign Fernando Gago. The 23-year-old Argentina international was one of Roberto Mancini's primary targets but the £15.7m deal had to be called off after the clubs ran out of time to process the transfer before the 5pm cut-off point.

Madrid have blamed City's chief executive, Garry Cook, for not being fully prepared and said the delay was caused partly by the need to get a formal go-ahead from the City owner, Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed al-Nahyan. "They had nothing prepared, not even one document signed," Jorge Valdano, Madrid's sporting director, told the El País newspaper. "They had not reached an agreement with the player and they would have had to have done everything in 40 minutes."

City are reluctant to be drawn into a verbal battle with the Spanish club, a legacy in part of the war of words with Milan following the infamous attempt to sign Kaká, and have decided not to speak out publicly. Privately, however, Cook and his colleagues are taken aback by Valdano's remarks and believe the deal could have gone through without any complications had Madrid not initially overpriced the player.

The first contact between the two clubs was made in early January when Madrid quoted a fee of £21m and informed City they would not budge. After being unable to persuade them to lower that valuation, City switched their attention to McDonald Mariga, Palma's Kenyan midfielder, reaching an agreement over his fee and salary only to learn on Monday that they could not get a work permit for him. Cook then returned to Madrid to check whether Real's stance had altered and was informed Gago's valuation had dropped by £4.3m.

With only a few hours to go before the transfer window closed, Cook suggested the only way to complete everything was to sign a loan deal with a clause that a permanent transfer be concluded in the summer, but Madrid were unhappy with that idea and, say City sources, seemed to expect that personal terms would already have been agreed with Gago. Cook informed Madrid that to have done so would have constituted an illegal approach.

Gago spent most of the day waiting for developments in a hotel and his agent, Marcelo Lombilla, was unimpressed by Cook's handling of the transfer. "City used us," Lombilla told the radio station Onda Cero. "This has never happened to me before. I don't want to talk about the figures that City were offering because they approached Madrid without even knowing there wasn't physically enough time to put something together."

The failure to land Gago concluded a mixed transfer window for Mancini, who completed a £7m move for Middlesbrough's Adam Johnson and also brought Patrick Vieira, the former Arsenal captain, back to English football from Internazionale, while Robinho moved to Santos on loan and talks for the Roma defender Marco Motta broke down.

Mariga ended up moving to Internazionale after not getting Home Office clearance despite a personal appeal from the Kenyan prime minister, Raila Odinga, to Gordon Brown and the Football Association's chairman Lord Triesman. "I spent a minimum of three hours on the phone talking to Gordon Brown's office, the Africa Office, the Office of Culture and Sports, the Home Office, and to Mariga himself," Odinga said.

Sounds like Cook bottled it.

cook bottled it. please, get rid off him. he knows nothing about football or negotiating!!!!!!!!

johnny crossan said:
Kinkys Blue Socks said:

Our boys did good then eh? Laughable.

I'm not saying that for a second, it's just worth all the drama you and other posters seem to be putting on this!!

It all came down to politics. We lost out on Gago. It's not the end of the world. We don't actually need any more cover in that area anyway!!

Some people (including you Crossan) need to seriously calm down. Buying multi million pound players is not like walking into Asda and picking them up off the shelf you know...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.