Fernando

Fernando has been our best player for three months and it's been startling to see how good he actually is on the ball when he breaks forward between the lines.

His pass selection is very good and our whole league season started to unravel the day Fernando was subbed against Spurs at home, as we chased the win.

I still hold Hart responsible for the error in Paris, even if Fernando's touch was heavier than Yaya after a cake binge.
this.

Must admit that I got it completely wrong about Fernando.

I remember stating a season or two back that he was a shite version of De Jong and whilst it has undoubtedly taken Fernando a while to settle in, he is without doubt a huge upgrade.

He isnt though. But the fallacy that he is, persist. He didn't just have a decent 45 against Arsenal. He had one against PSG, against Real, against Swansea. He has pretty much been good since he became a full-time starter.

And his Ball skills are grossly underrated. So ischis IQ. Which may be 2nd only to Kev's on the squad. The way he maneuvers the ball into the correct space to create separation is exquisite. I think he is a shoe in to stay.
Good at defending but But he really isn't good enough going forward. He doesn't pass the ball forward anywhere near often enough or far enough and he doesn't advance into space when it's offered.
A player to rotate in for playing against lesser lights or to cover for injuries but not first choice.

Good at defending but But he really isn't good enough going forward. He doesn't pass the ball forward anywhere near often enough or far enough and he doesn't advance into space when it's offered.
A player to rotate in for playing against lesser lights or to cover for injuries but not first choice.
He is a holding midfielder. And while there are some who are great going forward, most aren't (or better yet, restrict themselves). I don't see him as a starter next season. My dream will be for him to be Gundogan's backup at the DM position.

Fernando is symptomatic of the sort of player we have at City, has one good game every 6 weeks and everyone is suddenly hailing them as the great saviour, the great player we always knew they would become or even better, when they don't play and we lose then that defeat is down to the fact that "so and so didn't play".
He's average, good enough sometimes for us and then distinctly mediocre for a few games too and, has the odd howler in him (PSG away/heading past Hart on Sunday afternoon)....too often he gets caught dawdling on the ball, he wants too much time on it.
Players like Fernando wouldn't get near the first team at RM, Barca or Bayern because they're not good enough
. The guy has been here 2 full seasons and hand on heart, you could count the number of great performances on two hands (at a push), likewise you could probably count the amount of assists he has on one hand, and the same for goals. For a midfielder, that is pants.
The first bolded portion is mostly exaggeration. He has done very few of those things you mentioned. And to consider a freekick deflection a howler is ridiculous.

As to the 2nd bolded. I give you Casemiro at Real Madrid. Serge Tasci at Bayern Munich. Rafinha at Bayern Munich and Batra at Barcelona. By the way, none of these guys are bad players. They are actually good at what they do, but Fernando is comparable to everyone of them.

The guy seems very genuine and very popular with the other players.
He is never going to be a top player but does a good job for the team and thanks to overcoming a difficult 1st season is a very useful squad member.

I think he's a great squad player. And to be honest, he has shown in the last few months that he is a capable defensive midfielder. Anyway, I would rather he break up play and get the ball to our other creative/attacking outlets rather then take on those roles himself. Why criticise him for a skillset which is role doesn't necessitate? What next, Hart is shit because he never whips in crosses, Aguero doesn't make any defensive clearances?

Have you actually watched him this season or are you still judging him on a few bad months last year when he was playing with an injury?

He's been crucial for us since January and has been excellent in our best performances this season. Other than Kante, I don't think there has been a better player in the league this season doing the job he does.

He's not a world beater but he doesn't have to be to have a role in our side. He's excellent at covering space when team mates are dragged out of position, has fantastic positional sense, something Pep seemingly values very highly, and has the added benefit of actually being pretty decent on the ball too and a lot better than people give him credit for.

There's a lot of areas that need strengthening or a change in personnel to suit Peps style this summer. Replacing Fernando is very low on the priorities list.
This all day long.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.