Fernando

I think Otamendi should play this holding lawn mower type role in from of 2 young ball playing centre halves. Maybe Stones and Denayer.

Otamendi not only slide tackles better than almost anyone else we have, be also can play passes into space.

That back 3 with 2 fast attacking fullbacks is what we need. No room for Kompany or Mangala for me. Time has run out on both if I'm honest.Mangala was never good enough and Kompany will never be good enough again.

De Jong>Barry>Garcia>Fernando

How is that possible in a "top" team? How do you continue to replace players, who we consider not good enough for where we want to be, with worse players? We have just struggled to finish 4th in a league won by Leicester, finished 3 points ahead of Southampton and may very well finish level on points with the worst United side in living memory. Players like Fernando are one of the main reasons for this. How many times do we see teams just cut right through the middle of us? There's barely a game that goes by without me shouting "where the fuck is Fernando"?. This clown was labelled the octopus and I hoped it was because he was everywhere, what has transpired is that he gained that moniker because a) he doesn't have a backbone and b) when he makes a "tackle" his legs are like jelly.

To suggest only Kante is better than him in that position is fanciful at best and arguably crazy but even if this were true the difference between the quality of the two is like night and day.

It'll be a great watch next season when Pep tries to get our midfield pressing and Fernando needs a respirator and an ambulance after 15 minutes.
I can understand criticism of his touch or passing, but you're way off if you think that Fernando can't handle the physical side of the game.

I can understand criticism of his touch or passing, but you're way off if you think that Fernando can't handle the physical side of the game.

I don't really get the criticism of his passing, given that only Nasri has better pass completion. Nando's passing is largely unadventurous but he's not in the side as a creative / attacking midfielder or a deep lying play-maker.

Us fans go on about "technique", I'm often guilty of it myself.
Fernando is in the side as a defensive midfielder,Mascherano was regarded as one of the best around at one time,he now appears as a centre half.
We can as fans, dig out loads of our players that seem technically deficient ,especially this season.
I'm sure Pep will put some round pegs in round holes,as well as some square pegs in round holes,or so it may seem to us fans.
In Pep we trust.

I don't really get the criticism of his passing, given that only Nasri has better pass completion. Nando's passing is largely unadventurous but he's not in the side as a creative / attacking midfielder or a deep lying play-maker.
Me neither. Perhaps there are games at home when he might not start, but proving to be a useful player.

He doesn't excel at any part of the game, he is poor to bang average at everything. I also think he is completely unfit, in fairness he's not the only one in the side. Pep will hopefully sort out the fitness issues but it will need a miracle to make Fernando a good player.

The De Jong>Barry or Barry>De Jong argument was a long running saga. Does anyone argue that the both of them were far better than Fernando?

Pep states he wants a thousand midfielders..................Fernando still wont make the cut.

Far better? No but better for this squad, absolutely. Mind you, I am basing that off of Fernando playing healthy.

He's done a job the last few months but if we've got plans on winning leagues and European cups then him as our main defensive midfielder/holding midfielder or however you want to characterise his position won't be good enough. Certainly not as a starter.
To be fair you are talking about THE most important position on the field for Pep. The position that he himself played. The position that he immediately put Lahm in when he went to Bayern. Who exactly in our current squad has what it takes to play that position for Pep?

He is not in the side to fulfil that role because he cannot do so and that highlights his failing as a player. Simiarly some say Navas is not in the team to score goals but that is exactly why we have fallen short this year, having players with such limitations.

Real Madrid was a case in point with players like Modric, Kroos occupying the holding roles. A world away from ourselves where we accept we have two midfielders without the ability to break the lines with passing and highlights why Pellers still relies on Yaya for all his shortcomings.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.