FFA Cup. Australia FA Cup

Chipmeister

Today was the draw for the first ever FA cup of Australia, FFA have introduced a cup competition along the lines of the FA cup competition. State league sides (semi pro) being in the draw with A League clubs, The media have been talking about the giant killing and history of cup competition in England and highlights what a fantastic concept it was and still is for our great game.

Melbourne City v Sydney FC. Could argue tie of the round, unless you are involved with a state league club, my side Bayswater City play Melbourne Victory a great draw for us

This is a brilliant idea!
I played semi pro in Australia for a few years in the late 70's & early 80's
And ' giant killing' is virtually guaranteed.
I know things have moved on but it really is a great idea to implement a tried and proven
concept over a few hundred years (the FA Cup) into the Australian system.
It's a real pity the Aussies didn't make the last 16 of the World Cup. It would have been an
amazing for the Aussie 'soccer' scene.

I live 200m from Macie Park - looking forward to seeing champions Brisbane Roar!

Chipmeister: I started the Backpackers FC club that played as Baysie's amateurs until this season when we decided to go solo!

I must have seen you around Baysie at some point, that's a good group with the Backpackers shame you went elsewhere mate, clubs like Baysie need as many teams as they can

Baysie were great to us. We loved our time there.

The intention was always to go it alone though at some point. We like what we do but it needs it's own identity.

I won't lie though - it's been hard work out there on our own but we are doing alright!

The FFA Cup is a weird concept. It's definitely modelled on the FA Cup, but I think they've tried too hard to ensure that the fans of smaller teams remain interested to the end.

If you read into the structure of the competition, they've deliberately designed it so that certain teams can only be drawn against certain other teams - six A-League teams (out of 10) were forced into draws against each other in the very first round "Proper" in a deliberate measure to ensure that at least three A-League teams get knocked out straight away, and while some lower-league teams get cushy ties against the other A-League sides, other teams get put in a pool to be drawn against other lower-league sides. It continues that way all the way to the quarter-finals, with the FFA proudly announcing that there will be at least one lower-league side in the semis, since that team will have come from a pool which was guaranteed to face no A-League competition at any stage before this point.

This is where the whole thing seems a little silly to me - are you not guaranteeing that you're going to have one woefully understrength team in the semis? And how exactly is it fair on one team from the third division to tell them that they will only be facing teams from around their own standard for several rounds, and then tell another team in the exact same league that they must play an A-League team, and in all probability for the next several rounds as I'm not sure many lower league teams have the strength to beat A-League sides, especially since it seems to be the best-performing A-League teams who get drawn against lower league teams. Either you're denying a group of teams the chance for a money-spinning tie against the big boys, or you're denying a group of teams the chance to get very far, whichever the clubs view as being the more important opportunity.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.