Fighting till the end

lancs blue said:
Stephenhakin said:
Note sure when we became a side with so much bottle and a determination to fight till the end but we are its a great feeling knowing that even when we are at deaths door we dont die.

Can anyone put a finger on when this first started? The game that stands out for me was the Norwich game away when we mullered them 1-6 at Carrow Road. I think that game took us to within 5 of the rags but they had a game in hand.

*During the Sheikhs time at the club.

After Hughes was sacked - IIRC under Hughes we had a dreadful record of retrieving points from a losing position.

Good point. City with Hughes was still a "small club" without belief. Mancini was a big manager and instilled the belief in the players that they were just as good as the Sky 4.

Post-Sheikh, I recall the 1-1 draw away at Sunderland, when Adam Johnson equalised for us. That was the moment I knew that Mancini had installed the kind of strong mentality in the team that Hughes could never achieve.

There's no secret to it and its actually very simple and straight forward. Top teams get last minute winners (how many did united (spit) used to get) because top players have a confidence in there ability that if they keep playing the goals and results will come because they KNOW they are the better team.

Drag it right down to Sunday league level. I've played for very good teams where at being 2-0 at half time there is a calmness that you know you'll get a result. Alternatively I've played for shit teams that go 2/0 down and give in thinking there's no way back and ultimately loose 5-0.

Our lads in the last few seasons just know that if they do what they do, day in day out it'll come

marcus said:
There's no secret to it and its actually very simple and straight forward. Top teams get last minute winners (how many did united (spit) used to get) because top players have a confidence in there ability that if they keep playing the goals and results will come because they KNOW they are the better team.

Drag it right down to Sunday league level. I've played for very good teams where at being 2-0 at half time there is a calmness that you know you'll get a result. Alternatively I've played for shit teams that go 2/0 down and give in thinking there's no way back and ultimately loose 5-0.

Our lads in the last few seasons just know that if they do what they do, day in day out it'll come

Definitely this. Poor teams lack confidence in their ability, panic, loose their shape and usually resort to lumping the ball long into the area. Worth a punt if your West Ham and have Carroll and Nolan hoping to get onto the end of it but generally centre backs see that as meat and drink and deal with it easily. That's what was so pleasing about Sergio's winner against QPR, even though QPR had everyone behind the ball the players were confident enough in their ability not to alter their style of play.

Chris in London said:
Stephenhakin said:
Note sure when we became a side with so much bottle and a determination to fight till the end but we are its a great feeling knowing that even when we are at deaths door we dont die.

Can anyone put a finger on when this first started? The game that stands out for me was the Norwich game away when we mullered them 1-6 at Carrow Road. I think that game took us to within 5 of the rags but they had a game in hand.

I think the 2-3 defeat at home to the rags in the FA Cup is perhaps the earliest, clearest, example.

If you remember, we were 3-0 down at half time, had been down to ten men since the 13th minute (and the rags were up to 12). We were staring at humiliation. Then Kolarov whipped in a free kick, Aguero got his customary goal against them to make it 2-3, and even though they had been 3-0 up they were on the back foot for most of the second half. In the last few minutes Kolarov missed narrowly with another free kick and Big Pants went up for a corner and nearly scored.

When it was 11 v 10 at their place, we humiliated them. When it was 10 v 11 at our place, we came close to humiliating them again.

I distinctly remember coming into work the day after the FA Cup loss, with a smile on my face when I faced the usual Utd. fans in here.
That match for me was the moment when they realised, 'Holy F*ck, we're in trouble with this lot'. They knew their days of dominance were over.
I kept telling them, their days were numbered.
They've been very quiet in here since.

Chris in London said:
Stephenhakin said:

I think the 2-3 defeat at home to the rags in the FA Cup is perhaps the earliest, clearest, example.

If you remember, we were 3-0 down at half time, had been down to ten men since the 13th minute (and the rags were up to 12). We were staring at humiliation. Then Kolarov whipped in a free kick, Aguero got his customary goal against them to make it 2-3, and even though they had been 3-0 up they were on the back foot for most of the second half. In the last few minutes Kolarov missed narrowly with another free kick and Big Pants went up for a corner and nearly scored.

When it was 11 v 10 at their place, we humiliated them. When it was 10 v 11 at our place, we came close to humiliating them again.

May 13, 2012 with around 91 mins and 40 secs on the clock?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.