Films that were acclaimed that are actually rubbish

Forrest Gump takes some beating. A feel good film for Americans who don't live in the real world but utter wank for the rest of the planet.

Now that's interesting. It so happens that it's a film I've never seen, and never particularly wanted to see. I read about it, and when I got the premise of it, I thought, no, not for me. (I also rather dislike Tom Hanks, although I've seen him in recent things where I've revised my opinion somewhat). But when I tell people I haven't seen it, they look at me with downright disbelief, as if I've committed a faux pas by merely choosing not to see it. In short, it's the one film where you feel there's some sort of social obligation to see it.
Is it genuinely poor?

I had a guy come into work telling me that he'd just seen the greatest film ever made on the weekend. I haven't let him near a sharp chisel since.

You look at the cast and you think, well, that should be decent. But that's exactly problem. It's a film that never settles to anything substantial. All the famous actors (some of them good, by the way) get about one minute to do their star turn, and that's it. I particularly felt that about Harvey Keitel, an actor I really rate, and who we don't see enough of, in my opinion. But he had a sort of nothing role. One of many. And the plot's got so many twists and turns, you think, why am I being required to follow all this?
That's my critique, for what it's worth.

Now that's interesting. It so happens that it's a film I've never seen, and never particularly wanted to see. I read about it, and when I got the premise of it, I thought, no, not for me. (I also rather dislike Tom Hanks, although I've seen him in recent things where I've revised my opinion somewhat). But when I tell people I haven't seen it, they look at me with downright disbelief, as if I've committed a faux pas by merely choosing not to see it. In short, it's the one film where you feel there's some sort of social obligation to see it.
Is it genuinely poor?

Gooey, schmaltzy and infinitely over sentimental. The thicko, crippled as a child, becoming an extremely fast runner, Vietnam war hero and successful entrepreneur is too ridiculous for words but as it was a patriotic, slow witted country hick makes good, 'Great American Dream' story the Americans loved it.

Is it genuinely poor?

It really is shite and aged terribly.

Don't waste your time

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.