Finally, the football journalists begin to earn their money

m27

S-A-L-F-O-R-D Salford Blues MCFC, S-A-L-F-O-R-D Sa
From The Times
December 23, 2009
Mark Hughes must reflect on Manchester City sacking before deciding next path

"Hughes could do worse than first examine his own shortcomings as a manager

By James Ducker

So what is next for Mark Hughes? Will he come back better and stronger for his experience at Manchester City? Or will “the best young British manager” (copyright Sheikh Mansour, City owner, September 2008) be permanently scarred by the humiliating end to his 18-month reign?

As far as City are concerned, Hughes is yesterday’s man, yesterday’s news. The Welshman, however, is likely to be left looking back for some time. The wounds will be raw, but once the feelings of betrayal subside, soothed in part by a healthy compensation package, he could do worse than first examine his own shortcomings as a manager.

There will be no use in him dwelling on the fact that City were only six points off fourth place with a game in hand and in their first semi-final of a leading cup competition for 28 years.

He must look to address the weaknesses that City’s owners felt made him the wrong man to spearhead their push for the top four.

Stubbornness was one of those. The City board felt that Hughes would have benefited from the presence of a coach who offered a different perspective, who could perhaps do a better job at motivating, inspiring and winning round temperamental and potentially undermining foreign “stars” such as Robinho and Emmanuel Adebayor. Mark Bowen, Hughes’s assistant, and Eddie Niedzwiecki, the first-team coach, for all their abilities in certain areas, were thought to be too firmly entrenched in Hughes’s mindset.

Perhaps understandably, Hughes rejected the idea of having someone he did not know, who was not in his inner circle, brought in, but maybe he would have stood to benefit from looking outside his cosy “Welsh mafia”. Hughes obviously has an ability to get the best out of difficult characters — Craig Bellamy is the obvious case in point — but is the Wales forward an isolated example?

When Robinho asked Bowen last Christmas if he could have two days off, Bowen said “No”. When Robinho was given the same answer by Hughes, the Brazil forward is understood to have said: “Just remember that I’m more important at this club than you are.” Would a player have had the audacity to ask such a thing of Sir Alex Ferguson or Arsène Wenger? Hughes needed to be stronger with his players but too often seemed to let others do his fighting for him, coaches such as Bowen and players such as Bellamy and Shay Given.

Hughes’s interests may be best served by a stint coaching abroad. It has certainly served Steve McClaren, the former England manager, well so far. McClaren’s Twente are top of the Dutch league. With his experience of managing Wales and of playing abroad for Bayern Munich and Barcelona, it is hard to think there would not be a big club on the Continent willing to give him a go.

Having performed wonders at Bolton Wanderers, Sam Allardyce found himself back working at a similar club on an equally tight budget, Blackburn Rovers, after his stab at the big time with Newcastle United backfired. Now Hughes must try to ensure his own career does not follow a similar path, or “trajectory”, as Garry Cook might call it."

He failed. Examine why he failed. Over to you Mr Winter.

yes they are now beginning to calm down..................

soon they will realise we had a very poor defence........

I will always support the Manager and I did with Hughes but I was disappointed with the numbers of the Welsh Taffia that he surrounded himself with.......he became entrenched with their views........

the defence is poor....is it bad buying or bad organisation.........

for 230M we should have more than just a good attack and midfield...........

they simply did not want to give him the big cash in January.......

Hughes could be a top manager one day.He's just not the finished article yet-though he really does need to stop dragging his little crew of under-qualified helpers like Bowen everywhere with him.
He got the City job under one set of circumstances and constraints he was used too and could no doubt have worked well within-but it was like taking the mild-mannered janitor and his cat and suddenly making them head of particle physics when ADUG took over.

Hughes is a decent man though.Had it been a more Warnock-type figure sacked I suspect some of the ridiculously sentimental press sympathy may not have been as great....

i agree he was a decent man and kept very composed when faced with a lot of unfair shit from the press...........

he did his best for City and very determined.........

at training he never came to talk to the fans it was always Bowen and Eddie......he seemed very quiet.........

i wish him all the best........he will do ok elsewhere......

cleavers said:
kismet said:

The latter, very good defenders don't become shite overnight, and average ones don't become world beaters either. Alot of it is down to piss poor organisation in midfield.
so true Cleavers

kismet said:
I will always support the Manager and I did with Hughes but I was disappointed with the numbers of the Welsh Taffia that he surrounded himself with.......he became entrenched with their views........

for 230M we should have more than just a good attack and midfield...........

they simply did not want to give him the big cash in January.......
For all thats been said and for all the crying thats gone on, thats the bottomline they didn't want to give him any more money and if the money had stopped, were would that have left him other than to see out the season knowing he was done.

This journalist doesn't deserve to be boycotted because he agrees with me.

Seriously, are you people the thought police? Are you what Orwell went on about?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.