Finding the right balance in midfield

Didsbury Dave said:
That's a very good post indeed and a good summary of my feelings. I'm glad someone can see what I'm getting at. The actual games where he can excel in he really does excel - like United at WEmbley where they are coming at us and it's a big pitch. But the majority of games he offers little.

There's no doubt he has lots of ability, but in some ways he's a luxury player, much as I hate that term.

As I wrote my post I came round to this way of thinking, funny how in writing out your thoughts you can come to a different conclusion to what you initially meant to conclude.

Another issue I have is people who talk about Barry being the one to sit. Just can't get that myself. His strength is how much ground he covers, but unlike say Milner, how intelligently he does cover it. If he were to just sit he'd be half the player. As much as I criticise De Jong (Partly to play devils advocate), he does seem to be key to playing the fab four as he's the only player we have who can sit and tackle (Yaya can sit but can't tackle, Barry and Milner can tackle but not sit) apart from possibly Hargreaves.

Come to the conclusion;

Easy games at home;
Toure Milner/Barry/De Jong
Fab Four

Games we'll face a packed defence or a small pitch;
De Jong Barry
Fab Four with Johnson coming on as impact sub with a good amount of the game still to go

Tough away/home games;
De Jong Barry
3 of the Fab Four + Toure

Getting sick of the term fab four now but it saves typing out all their names.

-- Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:30 pm --

bluethai said:
Barry + DJ = Fellaini

All three are different players but he would be a good addition to the squad.

Yaya is a tremendous midfield player , and is suited to the three man midfield , as has been mentioned , but whether Mancini will revert back to that formation is to be seen. Currently , his front four are doing the business , they are exciting and creating goals for each other. So until it is blatently obvious to Mancini that the balance isn't right , then he will persist with the front four. I would like to see , from time to time , us take a more cautious approach . I love watching us go forward but I saw us play some magnificent football last year and we had what some people called ' a defensive approach ' . Just by adding an extra midfielder doesn't mean we lose our attacking intent , it would mean we would be a more balanced unit capable of controlling the midfield and attacking with a presence. But until De Jong comes back , the formation won't change , rotation will occur , but there will be no change to the 4-4-2.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.