Grenfell Tower block disaster

How does a fire rip through such a tall building in a relatively short period of time in 2017?

I'm not expecting an answer, it's just so shocking to see

Heard a number of residents report that they had been instructed that, in the event of a fire, to "remain in their flats".

Horrific.

Mate you won't survive jumping from that height, like I said if you can't get down the staircase you are advised to stay in your flat and try to stop the smoke coming in with blankets etc, looking at those pictures the death toll could be fucking huge. Firefighters will struggle to even get water up there, I'm just watching ITV and there is a guy trapped in a flat they've been filming him for an hour and they've still not reached him!

Something has to change after this - is surprised it doesn't happen more to be honest.

But people living above the 2nd floor need some other means to escape, a huge poll/ladder from top to bottom perhaps ..
Or a bridge connecting to another block of flats they could cross over. I have no idea. Being advise to stay in your room whilst the bottom floor is engulfed in flames is a horrifying thought.

As expected.......First reports of a 'number' of fatalities.

My heart goes out,a truly horrific incident.

How does a fire rip through such a tall building in a relatively short period of time in 2017?

I'm not expecting an answer, it's just so shocking to see
It seems this cladding is playing a big part by reports coming out, like I said there is a fire safety report already circling on social media suggesting it was already bad, the problem with these sort of fires isn't that once it gets hold it will quickly spread due to a number of conditions. Aerial ladder only reach upto the 6th floor and that's if they can get close enough, so most of the fighting is done from inside, you can imagine that the conditions inside as they try to fight there's way up it's not a quick process. Looking at the pictures it stared on the second floor, those on the top floor have got no chance im afraid, they had no way out, due to smoke and fire. People are reported to have jumped already from upper floors, there could be triple figures in this :(

Something has to change after this - is surprised it doesn't happen more to be honest.

But people living above the 2nd floor need some other means to escape, a huge poll/ladder from top to bottom perhaps ..
Or a bridge connecting to another block of flats they could cross over. I have no idea. Being advise to stay in your room whilst the bottom floor is engulfed in flames is a horrifying thought.
The advice on staying in I should that each flat is a compartment and it's supposed to keep you safe for say 30-90 mins, however this is exceptional circumstances, it loos like to be an old block as well so it won't be as well constructed as new ones, there is really nothing in place for high level flats, it's just not practice, even if they had something on the outside as you can see the fire wasn't everywhere any ladder would have burnt through.

Christ, that is horrific. How brave are those wonderful firefighters? Is must be in the back of their minds that it could possibly collapse.
Yet they still go in, Godspeed and stay safe you heroes.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.