First man on the moon - 45 years ago

What always amazes me, is how we went from the Wright brothers, and planes made from canvas and wood, with a lawn mower engine on the front, to going to the moon in the space of what,45 years or something, fantastic really when you think about it.

garymj said:
What always amazes me, is how we went from the Wright brothers, and planes made from canvas and wood, with a lawn mower engine on the front, to going to the moon in the space of what,45 years or something, fantastic really when you think about it.

66 years from the Wright Brothers flying in a figure of 8 - to prove that they had full control of a heavier than air machine - to the (alleged) manned
moon landings. There is documentary evidence of people flying heavier than air machines in the 1890s but it is generally accepted that the
Wright Brothers machine in 1903 was the first properly functioning aircraft. I think therein lies part of the problem. At the time people thought it was
incredible that there had been so much progress in such a short period of time although they did believe that the moon landings were real.
45 years on we appear to have gone backwards.

George W Bush stated his intention, in 2004, that the US should "return" to the moon by 2020 with the intention of getting to Mars by 2030.
People questioned why it would take 16 years for a moonshot when it only took 8 years in the '60s following JFK's commitment? We had,
after all, the benefit of all the work that had gone into the Apollo programme as a starting point; not to mention the vastly improved technology.
Obama subsequently scrapped the plan.

If the US really did land men on the moon in 1969 it is unquestionably the greatest achievement of mankind.

Wilf Wild 1937 said:
markbmcfc said:
So many fruitcakes on this planet. Anything their inept minds can't work out is fake or conspiracy.

People seem to get off on trying to take an alternative view, just for kicks.

What a pointless existence these people are.

A healthy scepticism of all things governmental is no bad thing surely?

I felt the same as you when a million people marched around London protesting about the Iraq War.

Everybody knew that Iraq had WMD because our Prime Minister had told us so.

They were proved right and I was proved to be the idiot.

Given everything that has happened in both the US & the UK since 1969 is it any wonder
that nobody is totally sure of anything anymore?
Yes. The fucking idiots.

Wilf Wild 1937 said:
mcmanus said:
I just wonder why folk are actually that fucking fussed that I don't believe that the Yanks didn't put a man on the moon. It was the time of the Cold War and America was fucking gutted that the commies put Yuri into space. JFK said they would send someone to the moon before the end of the decade...yeah right 1969 will do.

Why a rocket with less computer power than a pocket calculator ever made it to the moon and back is farcical. I call bullshit.

LOL.
I don't know whether they did or they didn't. There is no 100% certainty either way. I believed that they probably did until I visited
the Kennedy Space Center in 1989 and after that it seemed unlikely. The equipment, apart from the Saturn V rocket, really didn't
look up to the job. Whether it was actually done or the mother of all Cold War deceptions in a sense doesn't matter. The Soviets
thought it might of been possible and the rest of the world thought it had happened. It was a great triumph for the US in particular
and the Free World in general. Why it's such an emotive issue among some of "The Believers" is also a mystery to me.
Everybody debates JFK, Diana & Marilyn quite rationally even if they have totally opposing views. The Moon Hoax (?) debate seems
to stir up almost religious fervour. Very strange.
There is 100% either way. You bloody idiot.

You don't think the Russians may have raised some questions it they thought it hadn't been carried out?

I'm sick to death of idiots not being able to comprehend the magnitude of the achievement and therefore calling bullshit.

dronefromsector7g said:
What about the Van Allen belt?

It's fake I'm sure of it
If it's from the market in Marmaris, it certainly is.
Mind you, the Marc Klos one I got for less than a fiver, looks a treat with my Levis, and the wife's Mulberry at £30 is never off her arm.

Wilf Wild 1937 said:
garymj said:

66 years from the Wright Brothers flying in a figure of 8 - to prove that they had full control of a heavier than air machine - to the (alleged) manned
moon landings. There is documentary evidence of people flying heavier than air machines in the 1890s but it is generally accepted that the
Wright Brothers machine in 1903 was the first properly functioning aircraft. I think therein lies part of the problem. At the time people thought it was
incredible that there had been so much progress in such a short period of time although they did believe that the moon landings were real.
45 years on we appear to have gone backwards.

George W Bush stated his intention, in 2004, that the US should "return" to the moon by 2020 with the intention of getting to Mars by 2030.
People questioned why it would take 16 years for a moonshot when it only took 8 years in the '60s following JFK's commitment? We had,
after all, the benefit of all the work that had gone into the Apollo programme as a starting point; not to mention the vastly improved technology.
Obama subsequently scrapped the plan.

If the US really did land men on the moon in 1969 it is unquestionably the greatest achievement of mankind.

They did. It was funded by the cold war at all costs. There is no such motivation and the level of acceptable risk is much lower these days hence the massive increase in costs for no return. Until there is a financial gain to be had no one will fund such a project again. We do however have the internet and sat coms/navigation systems. Probes sent to all corners of the solar system, wind farms, Solar power and GM crops. So we have done one or two things since then.

Skashion said:
Gelsons Dad said:
Skashion said:
Lot of fucking idiots around him today. Lots of morons. Have we had any muppets yet? Muppets is my personal favourite.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIntrayvOlc&channel=storyjan[/video]
I guess I had that coming you fucking thunderkunt.

Go piss up a rope Fuckstick! :-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.