First Trip to Etihad!

Imperial War Museum North is a must if you're into history

I was just thinking, after reading the thread, that if he was here longer, he should check out the Science and Industry Museum and Ordsall Hall Museum as it's been stood since the 1700s (and maybe Tatton Hall if they could be arsed travelling that far!).

Enjoy the trip! I've been going over from the Boston area for matches since 2016 and can't wait for my next trip which might also be for the Forrest match. I fly into Manchester, get the train into Manchester Piccadilly and stay at the Premier Inn that is about a 5 minute walk from the train station. No need for a car. Premier Inn is nothing special, but it is good and convenient. About a 20-25 minute walk from there to the Etihad, and I recommend walking to and from with the crowds.

I always try to get tickets in the third tier and can usually get seats around midfield for a match like Forrest. I like the view from higher up where I can watch the whole pitch. Also, you are protected from the rain up there. I'd recommend combining the Etihad tour and shopping on a non match day.

The Piccadilly Tap, located between the train station and the Premier Inn, is a great place for a pint or two and has a good selection of ales and beers on tap. The Crown and Anchor is also a great spot for a pint. Some good restaurants around depending on what you like for food.

The Football Museum is a must as others have said as well as the People's History Museum. Glad to recommend a few others depending on your interests. The canal walks are nice on a good day. If you like to hike/walk/ramble, the Peak District is a 45 minute train ride away. Take the train to Edale and walk 10 minutes and your in the hills. On your way back to the train stop in at the Rambler Inn for a pint before you get back on the train.

Well, that's all for now. Glad to answer any questions I can. Cheers!

If you're into your city history, take a taxi to Maine Road about 15 minute drive from the Etihad, the center circle and spot have been preserved from the pitch, although I'd make sure you're outta there by dark, mosside can be comparable to what you guys call the housing projects at night FB_IMG_1687303612620.jpg

If you're into your city history, take a taxi to Maine Road about 15 minute drive from the Etihad, the center circle and spot have been preserved from the pitch, although I'd make sure you're outta there by dark, mosside can be comparable to what you guys call the housing projects at night View attachment 84036
Took my lad who has never been to Manchester there when we were at the Newcastle match in March. (We live outside Boston MA now.) A bit of history for the boy. Then onto Rusholme for curry. Although that has changed a lot since I was there last...

Thank you so much for all this info. It will be extremely helpful as I plan. I am looking into some Airbnb's in the City Centre or anywhere I can get to the stadium quickly from. It'll just be my wife and I and we plan to arrive on a Thursday and leave on Sunday. I will most definitely be doing a tour before leaving. Thank you again for taking the time out to help. Much appreciated.
You can book the tours online on the City website. But as others have said, the TV companies can change the match days. I would advise a Thursday to Monday stay as the game could be switched to a Sunday.
You could also look into a hospitality deal. Very expensive but if you don't make a habit of it every visit, the experience is great. My son and I did the Legends Lounge at the Newcastle match in March. Excellent service and food and drinks waiting for us at half time and full time. Plus some old City players roaming around talking to people. Brilliant experience overall. Either way, enjoy your trip. You won't regret it. Especially as Manchester is a damn great city.

If you're into your city history, take a taxi to Maine Road about 15 minute drive from the Etihad, the center circle and spot have been preserved from the pitch, although I'd make sure you're outta there by dark, mosside can be comparable to what you guys call the housing projects at night View attachment 84036

It’s not rough at all around that new housing estate where Maine road was. Probably because considering it was built as “social housing” the houses on it are actually quite expensive.

And the people who live there are pretty used to City fans taking photos etc.

Why is that? Bad experience?
Mancunian humour.

My recs are head to Cutting Room Square in Ancoats earlyish before or after. Nice clean area if you’re there with the missus. Loads of independent beer houses (7 Brothers, nice pint), blues around, pizza at Rudy’s next door. About a 25 minute walk from there, follow the herds.
I‘d walk back to town after also rather than queue for a tram.

as a tourist there are walking tours. I can’t vouch for them though but should give you an insight that most of us locals probably miss.

Friday, Saturday nightlife, food, take your pick. Enjoy!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.