Football Books

i loved roy keanes book and hate myself for it.
probable eamon dunphys skillful writing but i could not put it down<br /><br />-- Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:21 am --<br /><br />
halpo123 said:
i loved roy keanes book and hate myself for it.
probable eamon dunphys skillful writing but i could not put it down
rag

im seriously not

BTH said:
http://www.thehistorypress.co.uk/products/Once-in-a-Blue-Moon.aspx

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Once-blue-m...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1283724969&sr=8-1

Yes, it's my mate's book. Yes, I proofed it and helped with a few bits and bobs, but it's good. Very good in fact and just published. I'm delighted he did it, think the publishers have done an excellent job with the production and I can't recommend it highly enough.

I agree. Always satisfying when a true Blue writes in this way. Anyone who enjoyed "Worthy Journey" in EB/BTH will like it, and any Blue wanting to understand what it felt to be a Blue growing up from 70s onwards should read it. For many of us, including the author of this book, our support started when City were a real power in the game. The eighties saw us fail and football hit many lows, but that's when our passion for City grew stronger. Read the book. It's worth it and you'll understand why City fans became more loyal.

Books by referees are good too. They explain all kinds of things from their perspective as well as highlighting some of the antics of some of the players that you never get to hear about.

I do wish they would mike up the refs for games though as it would be very interesting to see just what players do say and see how much they get away with, notwithstanding what we can obviously lip read sometimes.

Nicky D said:
Damocles said:
A Brilliant Orange is terrible, more of a book about bloody architecture than football.

Sorry, but if you actually think that then you've missed the point of the book. Though it might appear to go off tangent it examines aspects of Dutch cultural life that might contribute to the way they play football - and at that it does a mighty fine job.

I was actually being flippant with that comment, but the point remains. The whole premise of the book; that Dutch culture contributed large amounts to how they played football; is left not only unproven but quite often laughably false. Trying to draw comparisons between 'space' in architectural design and 'space' on a football field is far too much of a reach.

The whole book feels like it is a book with a foregone conclusion that it is fitting evidence around, rather than the taking the time to consider alternative theories.

My favourite football book is Gary James' biography of Sir Joe, "Football with a Smile."

It does exactly what it says on the tin!

Vienna_70 said:
My favourite football book is Gary James' biography of Sir Joe, "Football with a Smile."

It does exactly what it says on the tin!

Thanks for that. It's the book I enjoyed writing the most and will always be my favourite, no matter what else I write.

manslaughter united

the story of a prison football team, would highly recommend this, very funny.

the story of robin friday was another good read, if somewhat sad considering his demise.

and the story of kiev football team was brilliant.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.