Football fans attacking Youtube fan channels

All social media is toxic, in everyway. Look at the state of this place at times
Depends what you mean by toxic. Hostile to certain players, manager and owner at times yes. But it's just opinion.

Where critics have a point I think is when the opinion starts getting influenced by the need to be heard or when it gets shaped to a certain point of view just to get more hits. Not sure that that happens, and most fans are able to work that out when it happens.

There are good channels, good presenters and bad but the medium isn't I believe fundamentally flawed. All it really is is fans taking advantage of changes in technology to express an opinion, and in a few cases monetise it. Does the act of monetising it change it? Well you could say that about almost everything in this world including writing a book.

They only work (do very well) when there is a very polarizing topic, like Wenger out, or when they are a bunch of bell ends and people view to laugh at them, like Goldbridge.

I know @twosips has done some vids in the past but TBH i doubt many general fans want to watch vids of city fans going on about how good our team is. What is good for a fan channel is generally not great for a fan base / club. Its general fans laughing at arse holes or clubs in crisis that get the big clicks and can then make money and be sustainable. Cheesmans' vlogs are a niche thing - most city fans know him from GMR days and appreciate his views and the perspective his vids bring especially to aways. I doubt many non city fans tune in to him and I wouldn't want a City equivalent of Goldgbridge who is a clown.
The channels that have taken are off are those at club where there is an issue.

United Stand has some good presenters (those who do the fan interviews) and some bad ones who are as cynical as the tabloids in their use of none-news to get people to watch their content. That's down to the fanbase to be able to discern between good and bad.

If I was 18 or so, I'd be thinking about doing something like this. Even if it doesn't work commercially, it's still a fantastic skill to be able to present an argument face to face.

TBH Cheeseman is invaluable to City fans abroad who can't afford to go often. Good to hear Mancs' views on the club.
What I like about Cheesy's vlogs is that it's not about him. He has a theme in each topic but he just gives the mic to any fan and lets them speak. He doesn't promote himself. I guess at his age now, he's done all that, and just does what he likes now.

What I like about Cheesy's vlogs is that it's not about him. He has a theme in each topic but he just gives the mic to any fan and lets them speak. He doesn't promote himself. I guess at his age now, he's done all that, and just does what he likes now.
Also on his podcast he often plays the Devil's advocate and argues a contrary point - excellent way to get the panelists going and deepen the conversation. Haven't seen enough vlogs to say if he does this on them.

Does Ian write on here by the way?

Can you imagine what it would have been like in the Peter Swales era if Youtube was available? Those were the days of pitched battles with the police on the Main Stand forecourt. Some of these fan channels are good but some of the modern-day attention-seeking presenters would benefit from a slapping!

At the moment City are a well run football club, or a successful club. By and large the fans are happy, but not at Arsenal or Man Utd. There the fans are unhappy and it's evident that there are issues with the owners. These Youtube channels provide a very effective way for fans to communicate and spread ideas. The ideas themselves can be good or bad and that depends on the contributors. On Bluemoon, after a defeat all kinds of opinions are raised.

The one area where I think there is a difference between fan channels and football message boards is that the incentive to be controversial and emotional is much much greater with fan channels. Reasoned low-key argument can be boring for the neutral but if the presenter is screaming and emotional it becomes watchable (until you get bored with it) so there is an incentive for fan channels to promote dissent to attract views.

I enjoy watching them, particularly the vlog diaries of match days, but I watch them more when a rival club loses.

Football is tribal, and part of the enjoyment is seeing your rival club struggle.

I can honestly say though that my impression of Arsenal fans has gone upwards a lot because of their fan channel. I had thought that Arsenal were a Southern club who had lost touch with their roots and were followed by yuppies but it's completely the opposite. These fans are very down to earth, and well-spoken. There are good and bad.

It's essentially fan opinion which has the potential to be distorted by commercial considerations. It's far more likely to be on the button though than views and opinions from Fleet St journalists. Indeed it makes their writing completely redundant. Why would you read what some none-fan thinks of your club, I'd far rather listen to rival fans.

I can understand that if they support OGS and a lot of fans are saying OGS out, then that might make them angry but you should be able to pick the mic up and respond. You don't have to hit someone. There probably is an argument that opinion can be distorted by the need to make an impact but at heart the arguments are genuine, and authentic. If they weren't, you would be able to tell straight away.

We don't have these issues at Man City but it's worth noting what is happening at other football clubs and seeing what the issues are.
You want to try the match thread or even the prematch thread when 'clueless Guardiola' announces the team.......

Hes right the usual media especially the likes of talksport are worried that these channels are growing as their audience dwindles , you only have to look at the subscribers and views these you tube channels attract

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.