Football hardmen and City.

fantastic when franny give it back to hunter, some of the tricks the leeds players got up to was really underhand, i remember when at maine road, franny said to mick jones the ref must have an away win on his coupon, jones the arsehole ran to the ref told him what he had said and the ref duelly booked franny? hunter shat his pants when franny gave it him back, it was nice to see him on his arse, pity some of our more modern players didn,t put keane on his?

I played against Gerry Gow in the early 90s when he was player manager at Portland FC in the Dorset Combination League. I was only 17 at the time and tackled him pretty hard in the first 10 minutes. I spent the rest of the game shitting myself that he would be up for payback.
The Fredrick Boswell hairdo had gone, but the snarl, two footed tackles and awful language was still there.
He also called me a "cheeky little c**t" in the bar after the game (and he wasnt joking) I was dying to tell him I was a blue and he was a hero in the early 80s but I think he would have bottled me if I went near him.

A 50:50 between him and Dejong would be worth seeing...mind you so would Balotellis reaction to a Gow tackle if Gerald got hold of the mard git.

One player nobody has so far mentioned. A player who used to take terrible 'stick' and a player who also got his retribution in quietly and with often devastating effect. Mike Summerbee - hard as nails!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz5EXaS2Yko[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EWBRIWaSI0[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBtu-8PVPPY[/youtube]

Hard as nails

When Doyle, Watson, Clements and Donachie were our back four, we could be a might tasty.

Dennis Tuuuueerttttt could also handle himself.

I always thought one of the most shameful episodes in our history was when Keane did Haaland and not one City player said boo!. I think it was Jeff Whitley and Wanchope stood there gormless. Had i been on that pitch i'd had have ripped the fuckin pikeys head off

MCFCinUSA said:
ColinBellsjockstrap said:
In the sixties, most football clubs had at least one hardman, sometimes even two,.. Im thinking of the likes of Dave Makay at Spurs, Tommy Smith at Liverpool, Chelsea's Ron "chopper" Harris, Billy Bremner/Norman "Bite yer legs" Hunter at Leeds etc.

Obviously referees are much stricter these days, I suppose NDJ is the nearest City equivelent we have today, but which others stand out who have graced the sky blue shirt over the last thirty years ago....men who you tangled with at your peril.

I think that Leeds team had eight or nine of them in the same line-up though, and when Revie was told that Hunter had gone home one time with a broken leg isn't he reputed to have asked "whose was it?"

as for City I don't recollect any of our teams ever having a bad rep for being overly dirty, although I used to admire Gerry Gow's work in the middle of the park, and Bobby MacDonald or 'Bullet' at left back. That Bobby Mac would net a few goals too; I think more than 1 in every ten starts for us.

the dirtiest players I can ever remember watching at Maine Road were wearing Italian shirts, and the blatant damage they did to Peter Barnes after we played them (I think it may have been in an England U21 game) was disgraceful.

I was there that night and yes it was u21's never had seen anything like that before was only about 11 at the time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.