Football mags when you were younger

ifiwasarichfan said:
I touched on this on Saturday with that business of MCFC Bob's thread about the mole at the Cup Final - with a reference to " You are the Ref". I cant remember now if this was from " Tiger and Scorcher" or from " Shoot".

I can remember in the late sixties and early Seventies going to the paper shop with my pocket money and buying these. " Scorcher" had amazing characters like " Hot Shot Hamish" and " Lags Eleven" about a team of Footballers in prison but by far the best was "Billys Boots". For younger posters; Billy Dane found an ancient pair of Boots that belonged previously to a Former Footballer based I presume on Stan Mathews or Tom Finney. When Billy - an orphan who lived with his Gran wore these Boots they magically transformed him into a young Messi and led him into all the right Goalscoring positions; taking him as far as England Schoolboy trials. Only problem being every other episode his Gran would buy him a new pair of Adidas or Puma and chuck his Magical Boots in the Bin just as the Bin men call on their Weekly rounds. As a Kid I couldn't get enough of this stuff.

Happy days.

OH mate, I remember Scorcher and I hope you do too :-), you know those things where you miss the last episode of something and you never get to find out what happened in the end ? Well I have one of those re Scorcher and it`s done my head in for over 30 years, so here goes :-

Do you remember the story of the gypsy footballer ? I think his name was Capper or something similar, he used to train kicking the ball through tyres on ropes and stuff but there was a bit of a mystery about him which someone clocked and it reminded him of a former player.

The last episode was going to reveal all but when I went to get the magazine they`d sold out, I ran to every newsagents in Wythenshawe trying to find one but never did, it`s haunted me to this day, so any ideas mate ?

Scrabster Six said:
didnt they used to have Charles Buchans book of football dont know who he was .remember Goal hen Shoot after that but was more of a Bash Street Kids fan meself

Used to love Charles Buchans football monthly...This magazine was the worlds first football magazine...He was an ex player I think...Sunderland??

Bilston Blue said:
Roy of the Rovers was quality.

The Hard Man
Mighty Mouse
Billy's Boots
Hot Shot Hamish
Tommy's Troubles
Mike's Mini Men (a story about a subbuteo league, only they couldn't use the word 'subbuteo' for copyright reasons so called it table football.)

I'm still struggling to come to terms with the terrorist attack on the Rovers' team bus in Basran.

Some of the team names, Everpool, Tottenford, Carford; blatantly conjured up by using two real place names and joining them together. Great invention.

Free league ladders and chocolate bars on the front like Curly Wurly.

And Melchester Rovers signed Steve Norman and Martin Kemp from Spandau Ballet.

Oh, gone are those days forever. I'm just off up the loft to read 'em all again.

Ah, happy memories. Trying to recall a few Melchester Rovers players and can only come up with Vic Guthrie (stereotypical Scots hard bastard) and Paco Diaz (stereotypical fiery Latino).

Phuk Tifano said:
Ah, happy memories. Trying to recall a few Melchester Rovers players and can only come up with Vic Guthrie (stereotypical Scots hard bastard) and Paco Diaz (stereotypical fiery Latino).

How can you forget Roy's sidekick "Blackie Gray" (sp)

I remember back then they likened the "telepathic" partnership between Kevin Keegan and Trevor Brooking to Roy Race and Blackie!!

Match Weekly was bought for me every week by my Gran (too)

I only bought Shoot for four weeks a year........ the weeks they gave away the league ladders obviously!! (the team 'tabs' used to come in handy when we were doing FA Cup draws for Subbuteo / us playing in the road!!)

empire exchange in manchester - think its lever street has all the old mags...

charles buchan football monthly, roy of the rovers, scorcher, shoot, match, 90 minutes

jimmy hill has a column in the charles buchan and this was 1971.... and he's still talking out of his hole even now....

Phuk Tifano said:
Bilston Blue said:
Roy of the Rovers was quality.

The Hard Man
Mighty Mouse
Billy's Boots
Hot Shot Hamish
Tommy's Troubles
Mike's Mini Men (a story about a subbuteo league, only they couldn't use the word 'subbuteo' for copyright reasons so called it table football.)

I'm still struggling to come to terms with the terrorist attack on the Rovers' team bus in Basran.

Some of the team names, Everpool, Tottenford, Carford; blatantly conjured up by using two real place names and joining them together. Great invention.

Free league ladders and chocolate bars on the front like Curly Wurly.

And Melchester Rovers signed Steve Norman and Martin Kemp from Spandau Ballet.

Oh, gone are those days forever. I'm just off up the loft to read 'em all again.

These will be from different eras possibly but here goes, off the top of my head:

Goalkeepers: Tubby Morton, Charlie 'The Cat' Carter, Andy 'Streaky' Styles, and, ahem... Bob Wilson

then...

Noel Baxter (RB)
Duncan McKenzie (LB)
Vic Guthrie (CB)
Johnny Dexter (The Hard Man, ex-Danefield Utd) CB
ahem... Emlyn Hughes (CB)
Neville Jones (Att.Mid)
Blackie Gray (Att.Mid)
Kenny Logan (LM)
Rob Richards (RM)
Nat 'Grandad' Gosden (??)
Olaf 'Olly' Olsen (LM)
Pak Soon (from Vietnam) (RM I think)
Andy McLaren (British record transfer fee at the time IIRC-around 3.5 mill) (CF)
Paco Diaz (RM) Spanish international
Lofty Peak (rings a bell but not certain)
Jimmy 'SnapShot' Slade (Mid. think Jimmy Case or Graeme Souness)

and then some I checked up on

Vernon Elliot
Carl Hunt (signed from Carford City - dodgy scouse perm and moustache)
Jumbo Trudgeon (goalie from 70s I think)

and don't forget Steve Norman and Martin Kemp from Spandau Ballet were signed during the mid-80s.
Geoff Boycott had a spell as a director
Ben Galloway was General Manager
and of course don't forget Roy.

This should bring back some sad memories:
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.royoftherovers.com/whoswho/melchester_rovers/rip_1986.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.royoftherovers.com/whoswho/m ... _1986.aspx</a>

Bilston Blue said:
Phuk Tifano said:

These will be from different eras possibly but here goes, off the top of my head:

Goalkeepers: Tubby Morton, Charlie 'The Cat' Carter, Andy 'Streaky' Styles, and, ahem... Bob Wilson

then...

Noel Baxter (RB)
Duncan McKenzie (LB)
Vic Guthrie (CB)
Johnny Dexter (The Hard Man, ex-Danefield Utd) CB
ahem... Emlyn Hughes (CB)
Neville Jones (Att.Mid)
Blackie Gray (Att.Mid)
Kenny Logan (LM)
Rob Richards (RM)
Nat 'Grandad' Gosden (??)
Olaf 'Olly' Olsen (LM)
Pak Soon (from Vietnam) (RM I think)
Andy McLaren (British record transfer fee at the time IIRC-around 3.5 mill) (CF)
Paco Diaz (RM) Spanish international
Lofty Peak (rings a bell but not certain)
Jimmy 'SnapShot' Slade (Mid. think Jimmy Case or Graeme Souness)

and then some I checked up on

Vernon Elliot
Carl Hunt (signed from Carford City - dodgy scouse perm and moustache)
Jumbo Trudgeon (goalie from 70s I think)

and don't forget Steve Norman and Martin Kemp from Spandau Ballet were signed during the mid-80s.
Geoff Boycott had a spell as a director
Ben Galloway was General Manager
and of course don't forget Roy.

This should bring back some sad memories:
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.royoftherovers.com/whoswho/melchester_rovers/rip_1986.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.royoftherovers.com/whoswho/m ... _1986.aspx</a>

It's all flooding back now....Johnny Dexter...Nat Gosden...Pak Soon...and all the rest of Roy Race's red and yellow army.

Wonder what they're all up to these days. I have a sinking feeling that Johnny Dexter is a morbidly obese alcoholic drawing benefits in Tyneside. And I reckon Vic Guthrie's coaching the reserves at Airdrie, a fully paid up member of the bitter and twisted 'football's not like it was in my day' brigade...

Thanks for the research, BB, you've made my day :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.