Football shirts at funerals

Came up recently with someone I’m close to who isn’t in the best of health
It’s their wish that everyone in attendance wears a football shirt
It’s something I’m totally against, think it’s a tacky idea and I’d feel disrespectful wearing a football shirt to commentate the life of someone close regardless of their commitment to City over the years
So do I disrespect someones final wishes or feel disrespectful by obeying them ?
My Oldham supporting mate Ian died in 99 shortly after the Gillingham final, he was only 35 but he had incurable Leukaemia.

He wrote his own service and insisted on his golf putter going in the coffin, he was a 5 handicapper who was not good at putting so he insisted he'd "practice" if he took it with him.

However, his big request was no dark colours and if possible for his family, friends and colleagues to wear their football shirts, no matter who they supported.

There must have been 300/400 that turned up for the service, it was an incredible sight, all the local teams were represented plus some of Ian's colleagues from the building trade who wore Italian, Polish, Eastern European shirts.

I was a pallbearer so wore an Oldham shirt as a mark of respect, whilst putting the coffin on my shoulder Ian's wife said "don't drop him Hammo" proper set me off.

It was 25 years ago on the 30th June when Ian passed, still miss him, so yes, wear the shirt with pride and remember your pal in whichever you want to but respect his wishes.

If it was their elicit wishes then I would say yes, if you don't feel comfortable then wear a sky blue ribbon on your suit maybe

Went to an old bosses last year his family asked everyone one to be casual & wear city shirt or something blue , I went in my blue suit & City shirt.

Came up recently with someone I’m close to who isn’t in the best of health
It’s their wish that everyone in attendance wears a football shirt
It’s something I’m totally against, think it’s a tacky idea and I’d feel disrespectful wearing a football shirt to commentate the life of someone close regardless of their commitment to City over the years
So do I disrespect someones final wishes or feel disrespectful by obeying them ?

John Motson enjoys you.

I'd wear a football shirt. Have done to several funerals.

I feel like wearing all black to a funeral is getting a bit dated. I wouldn't want folk sad at my funeral, i would want them to remember the good times. If there ever are any

I’ve not owned a football shirt in well over 30 years and I won’t be starting now I’m afraid.

Everyone I know is too old to be getting married. Fingers crossed that court appearances are a thing of the past. So a funeral is pretty much the only time I get to dust down the old suit jacket these days.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.