For Man City Fan in Mississippi

Welcome City fan in MS.

I think others have covered the main points of your questions very well.

However, reading your - and other's - reasons for following City reminds me of a girl we met when we visited theMad Hatter a couple of years ago.

She was at university in Manchester and decided to go along to Etihad. She'd met Ricky Hatton and someone had told her he was a City supporter, though We're not sure if this led to her going to watch the only team in the city.

When we met her at the Hatter, it was her first time there, but she promised she'd be back for more.

Falastur said:
Man City Fan in Mississippi said:
My geography of England is sub-par at best, so besides Man U, what other Premier League teams are close in proximity? Are rivalries truly bitter in every aspect of life or just during the matches? Again, thanks to all for your help.

The easiest way of answering that is to show you a map of where the teams are:

map-England-premier-1415.jpg

To put it into perspective for you, the two furthest teams apart on that map - Southampton in the south and Newcastle in the north - are approximately 280 miles apart, which is just short of the distance between Biloxi and Memphis. Note that in the UK, unlike the US, it is very common for multiple teams to come from the same city (for instance yes, you can see six teams all from London), which is part of the reason that club rivalries are vitriolic as it's near impossible to avoid bumping into fans of rival clubs even if you're just walking down your road to the local corner shop.

Everyone's covered all you need to know about City, but if you're actually getting into the Premier League, I'd suggest not just watching the big games. The local rivalries between say Newcastle and Sunderland are fierce and can be more entertaining than say Man United vs Chelsea. Always be looking out for the local derby games because they are always entertaining, even when the football is not.

Puppet Master Silva said:
Falastur said:
Man City Fan in Mississippi said:
My geography of England is sub-par at best, so besides Man U, what other Premier League teams are close in proximity? Are rivalries truly bitter in every aspect of life or just during the matches? Again, thanks to all for your help.

To put it into perspective for you, the two furthest teams apart on that map - Southampton in the south and Newcastle in the north - are approximately 280 miles apart, which is just short of the distance between Biloxi and Memphis. Note that in the UK, unlike the US, it is very common for multiple teams to come from the same city (for instance yes, you can see six teams all from London), which is part of the reason that club rivalries are vitriolic as it's near impossible to avoid bumping into fans of rival clubs even if you're just walking down your road to the local corner shop.

Everyone's covered all you need to know about City, but if you're actually getting into the Premier League, I'd suggest not just watching the big games. The local rivalries between say Newcastle and Sunderland are fierce and can be more entertaining than say Man United vs Chelsea. Always be looking out for the local derby games because they are always entertaining, even when the football is not.

I have a friend from Newcastle and when I mentioned that I appreciated how Sunderland supporters taunted the rags a couple years ago I kind of pissed him off. But City beating them in the LC final made everything better.

It's also worth adding that City's most enjoyable rivalry is with a small team...

buckshot said:
Falastur said:

I have a friend from Newcastle and when I mentioned that I appreciated how Sunderland supporters taunted the rags a couple years ago I kind of pissed him off. But City beating them in the LC final made everything better.

It's also worth adding that City's most enjoyable rivalry is with a small team...

You mean, of course, a small team called Manchester United????

TCIB said:
1. Best players on the team - Hard to say, we have a world class first team and a fair few more on the bench.

2. Who are your bitter rivals? - title rivals are chelsea atm, man utd we hate with a reasonable amount of passion.

3. What is your play style? - complete, as in our manager demands 2 top players for each position, he likes us to control the ball and build plays up, no hoofing it forward for a sprinter to try and catch.

4. What is your best known chant/song? (I want this for my signature on the forum I originate from) many and varied bud, others will make better suggestions than me

5. Expected success level for the season? I know "we" are current league champions, and I actually watched many games last year (for fantasy football reasons), but did not have a specific team to cheer for. I do now! - win the title, progress further in champions leagueu

6. Any other cool stuff a fan ought to know. - We are known for our fan loyalty as we were very shit until about 8 years ago and would have huge crowds at lower league games. Generally a knowledgeable fanbase who are down to earth and not snobby.
Our owner is very very dedicated and has hired the best backroom staff/suits in football. Our old stadium is called "Maine Road" and remembered fondly.

Just to note bud, in the UK we tend to have deep links to the clubs we support due to our fathers supporting a team and our fathers fathers and so on. Some people find the american ethos of picking a team a tad strange so ignore anyone calling you a "glory hunter" or "plastic".

I hope you enjoy the forum, i bet we make your home forum look like a grannies tea party, it gets messy in here at times but it is funny as fuck.

You drew the most exciting team in the league

Great reply TCIB

TCIB said:
3. What is your play style? - complete, as in our manager demands 2 top players for each position, he likes us to control the ball and build plays up, no hoofing it forward for a sprinter to try and catch.
Not sure why, but I thought that was a brilliant comment.

Eccles Blue said:
buckshot said:

They did sign Phil Jones so maybe they aren't that small.

panzer1311 said:
buckshot said:
I'm a City fan from Pennsylvania and I would easily choose City winning a major trophy over my favorite NFL team (Steelers). I made fun of "soccer" for years due to ignorance but once I started following City I quickly became a rabid fan. I actually got up at 5:00 am and drove 3+ hours to New York to watch them win the title against West Ham at the Mad Hatter.

You're lucky to have drawn City but in a sense you're also a bit unlucky. When I started following them they were mid-table or worse and it was a MASSIVE deal when they qualified for the Europa League. Seeing Slur Alex constantly berate officials and Michael fucking Owen score a winner a mere seven minutes into four minutes of added time really made me even more passionate to see them embarrass the scum. Throw in a dash of Hairplugs Rooney telling Chris Foy he'd like to have Vincent Kompany sent off and Foy obliging made it even worse. Missing the bad times can only mean you'll never fully appreciate the good times.

But seeing City completely dismantle those showers of shit 1-6 at the swamp made it all worth it. And now City routinely remind them who their daddies are.

I won't answer all of your questions but the two players who I think Americans would like best and appreciate are Pablo Zabaleta and Vincent Kompany. There is no drama with them, no diving and they both have the heart of a fucking lion.
Spoken like a true Manc ! .... incidentally my favourite NFL team ( since 1985 ) is the Browns . can we still be friends ? .... woof woof

Ha ha! Me too! I got with them when I was at University at Ohio State. They have rather given me the vibe of following a Peter Swales-run club; though hopefully that is in the process of changing lately.

If you have a tablet search for "1894 Group App" this is a supporters group focused on atmosphere. There app is available on android or iOS and has recordings of many songs as well as the lyrics for us specifically. It's also free, check there Facebook page for more vids and info, they even have special memberships for overseas blues who cannot attend every game.

buckshot said:
Eccles Blue said:
buckshot said:

They did sign Phil Jones so maybe they aren't that small.

Ah but we signed Kun Aguero!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.