Foreign Fans

I can t remember exactly when I first started watching City but I know that Richard Dunne was the captain. I was just watching random english football but the game that made me fall in love with City was the 1-0 win against United, at Main Road. Full stadium, sky blue everywhere, crazy fans. Loved it.
Anyway, I don t pretend to be the biggest City fan in the world,as my first team is Rapid Bucharest, but City comes close. So is mainly you, the fans from that day, that made me love City.

I really enjoyed visiting Bucharest last season. What a great trip.

I didn't mean the belgian lads mate, there were a few young, pissed-up scrotes in the pub opposite the away end, questioning anyone with a non-Manc accent.

I renember that too mate - in the Drayton. I started a thread about these knobs the next day. I have not seen them at a game since. So much for being diehards.

I can t remember exactly when I first started watching City but I know that Richard Dunne was the captain. I was just watching random english football but the game that made me fall in love with City was the 1-0 win against United, at Main Road. Full stadium, sky blue everywhere, crazy fans. Loved it.
Anyway, I don t pretend to be the biggest City fan in the world,as my first team is Rapid Bucharest, but City comes close. So is mainly you, the fans from that day, that made me love City.
Nice one mate

So, here is my story
I grow up in Spain hating football because everyone arround me loved it, when I was 10 I started playing and watching football but still I didn't like the top teams from the 00's decade. When I started to watch football I loved PL above spanish league (I was really weird doing it, nowadays is more common), I don't know why but It was more emotional, pure, intense so, as a consecuence I developed some kind of sympathy for all PL clubs but one (MU).
A few years later, I went to Ireland on a student exchange, my student and his family were city fans, and I had the opportunity to watch the 2012 derby, and I guess that since that day I just fell in love with MCFC.
(Sorry for my english, I hope you will be able to understand me)

My father was on a business trip in London. He got two tickets to see a footballmatch in Wembley. I had no idea where we were going, neither did he. There was this Gillingham side, and the other team had very cool shirts.

That pretty much sums everything nicely, you can guess the rest. ;)

I've posted mine on here a few times, but not in this thread. So here goes.

I have always loved playing and watching soccer. Started playing at 13 (youngest team we had in the area back in the early 80s) and played 4 seasons a year for 6 years. Through all that, I watched about everything I could. I never had a Premier League team. Mainly because for the most part we would only get a couple matches a month on TV and it was always Manchester United or Liverpool. I knew I hated the rags and didn't care either way about Liverpool. Then in 2008 I came to Manchester on a business trip with my dad and wife. We had a great time and I truly expected to see a ton of rag gear wearing folks around the city. I was stunned when I was chatting with one of the hotel workers and he said "almost nobody in town supports United, this is a Manchester City town." To be fair, I didn't even know what he meant by that as I seriously doubt that I knew there was a team called Manchester City. I had a great time visiting the city and talking to everybody. I still didn't have a team to cheer for, but I found it interesting.

A few months later Fox started covering a lot more matches and I could watch every week. So I told my wife, it was time for me to watch enough PL matches so that I could find a team that I wanted to follow. Remember, starting from this time back in 2009 up until present day, here in the US, we get a lot more PL matches on TV than MLS matches. So it is genuinely easier to follow for us. So I started watching matches. Then on Sept 20, 2009, the Manchester Derby came on. I watched and cheered against the rags as I knew I despised them, but didn't have a favorite team yet. During the match I was so freaking mad at every single call going the rags way. Martin Atkinson was the referee and he was his normal crappy self. This is the 4-3 loss match. The following week City was playing on TV again against West Ham I've been a City fan ever since. I've been fortunate enough to watch City play a few times live. I've met some great folks when I get to Manchester and consider them friends. Manchester feels like home to me even though I've only been there a few times.

I went to Oklahoma State, so I'm a big fan of them on the college level, my MLS team is Sporting Kansas City. SKC is nothing like current Manchester City. They operate on a small budget and they win because of having a great coach and long term vision. They aren't afraid of making the tough move if they feel they can come out better on the other side. Oklahoma State has a lot of similarities to Manchester City. Both were struggling for relevancy and notoriety before a wealthy person, who made their money in oil, brought them up unexpected heights. In the case of Oklahoma State it is T. Boone Pickens who donated hundreds of millions of dollars in 2006 to the University to build a new stadium and start something really special. But even to this day, people first think of the other school in the state. They have the media and the fan base, but that doesn't take away from what truly makes our side special.

Became a football fan in general several years ago. Kids started playing seriously and we started attending Real Salt Lake matches (MLS). In about 2013, NBC obtained the rights to EPL games and its coverage is incredible. Started watching, wasn't attracted to clubs Americans were already familiar with (ManU, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea). Grew to love watching City play, liked that they were a relative unknown in the US. Traveled to Manchester for the last game of the 2014-15 season at the Etihad. Great city and great experience.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.