Forget defending deep...get hold of the midfield

It depends on who we play there! We currently have too many grafters for our central midfield and not enough attacking power in that position, causing us to become back-heavy.

Didsbury Dave said:
MY one concern for Wednesday is Mancini's Italian penchant for defending deep and conceeding territory.

That can work against the likes of Stoke and Wolves but it will not work against Man United. It gives good teams a space to play in in front of you and Rooney loves that. And our curent back four are not good enough to soak it up for 90 minutes. We did that for the first 20 and last 10 at the home game and they murdered us. For the rest of the game we got hold of the midfield and got some balls in their box and we looked the better side.

I really hope the gameplan is not to worry about the advantage too much and to go out and concentrate on getting hold of the midfield. If we do that then I think we can get a goal or two to see us home.

I agree Dave, said in another thread that our advantage will be that scum should start 4-4-2 and we will be 4-5-1 so should have extra man in midfield.

Question is though, will that extra man be Stevie or Mad Zab?

I hope Stevie starts but more importantly if he does he needs to have the game of his life as he will be the difference.

Bizzbo. What he actually did was change things after 25 minutes against United so our midfielders pushed on and stopped defending the edge of the box. And that's what got us back into the game. He reversed that after our second and we lost it again.

I've read the North article and that is my concern. That game plan will not be effective against Man United. We need the game played higher up the pitch or Rooney will murder us. Even the likes of Giggs and Scholes can pick their passes in that situation and our back 4 are not disciplined enough. Boyata is a kid (I hope he doesn't start) and the others are all prone to not getting tight enough at times.

Project, I nearly mentioned the 4-3 in my post because you're right, it was just the same there. When we got at them they didn't like it and they allowed out midfield to get on top. We must do the same again in my opinion.

If it's back to the wall we'll go out.

Project said:
Every minute we have the ball is a minute less for them to find a winner. Subject to Fergie time.

My theory is this, Fergie arranges practise matches for 90 minutes, then ups the tempo for five minutes to build up the stamina and win games in extra time, they do it so often, it's no coincidence!
They always seem to be the stronger team in time added on!

I think the main problem was when we won the ball back the players instead of retaining the ball hit it straight upfield to relieve pressure but in effect were giving them the ball straight back. Defending deep worked reasonably well but the retention of the ball put us under unnecessary pressure.

That for me was the most dispointing aspect, even though United were pushing on we had few opportunites to break as we wasted possession so quickly.

In fairness being under the cosh away from home has happened for the last 18 months and maybe longer.We always seem to have less of the ball. Retaining the ball will be the key.

My other concern is that we do not keep posession very well as a team.

Rammy, I don't think he will play 4-5-1.

I think he'll start with Ade up front with Tevez off him in a 4-4-2. Unfortunately this will mean no Ireland. If Ade doesn't start then you're probably right with Tevez up front alone. He isn't that effective there though, but Ireland would play.

0-0
1-1
2-2
0-1
0-2
3-3
4-4
3-2
4-3
5-4

All above results will see us progress

2-1 (ex time/pens)
1-0
or 2 clear goals will see them progress

I fancy our chances to theirs.

Didsbury Dave said:
Rammy, I don't think he will play 4-5-1.

I think he'll start with Ade up front with Tevez off him in a 4-4-2. Unfortunately this will mean no Ireland. If Ade doesn't start then you're probably right with Tevez up front alone. He isn't that effective there though, but Ireland would play.

Can't see him pitching Ade straight in tbh, I think Bob's Italian nature will make him go with the extra man in midfield to start with. It's a strange one though to call as generally Bob has started games 4-4-2 and then does his formation switch after approx 20 mins into some form of 4-5-1/4-3-3. I expect him though to reverse that this time and start with 4-5-1 and switch to 4-4-2 if required in the second half. With Ade's lack of game time then I would be very surprised to see him start.

Didsbury Dave said:
Bizzbo. What he actually did was change things after 25 minutes against United so our midfielders pushed on and stopped defending the edge of the box. And that's what got us back into the game. He reversed that after our second and we lost it again.

I've read the North article and that is my concern. That game plan will not be effective against Man United. We need the game played higher up the pitch or Rooney will murder us. Even the likes of Giggs and Scholes can pick their passes in that situation and our back 4 are not disciplined enough. Boyata is a kid (I hope he doesn't start) and the others are all prone to not getting tight enough at times.

Project, I nearly mentioned the 4-3 in my post because you're right, it was just the same there. When we got at them they didn't like it and they allowed out midfield to get on top. We must do the same again in my opinion.

If it's back to the wall we'll go out.

I'd like to see it all again, but my reading is that we started with dejong and zab deep barely infront of the defense, barry and swp further up, bellamy and tevez up front. afterwards, there were a line of three midfielders slightly further forward, but deep enough in our own half to protect the back four. we stopped defending the 18 yard line, pushed them wider, further up the pitch, cut out the balls to the wide players. rooney hardly got a touch in the rest of the half, they had the time to pick passes but the tight net of defensive midfielders were able to cut them out. after the second the big change for me was benjani for tevez... tevez was pressuring the fullbacks and midfielders just enough.... benjani just wasnt.

so yeah, maybe we are saying roughly the same thing.... win the midfield.... but I think we win the midfield in our own half, not in the centre circle, not in their half. let them stroke it around, 9/10 they will end up out wide, we can deal with that. like you say it's rooney that poses the problem, but he needs service to feet, and a little space. with the deep line of midfielders you make it hard for them to find him, and you reduce the gaps he likes to work in.

I just think we have an advantage. the onus is on them to score, twice. make them commit forward and take advantage on the break. their midfield is much more technical than ours. I don't see that we can compete if it comes down to who can hold the ball for longer.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.