Forgetting Joe Mercer and Roberto Mancini...........

Joe Royle for quite literally saving us from the abyss and Billy McNeill who did absolute miracles with what he had to work with.

Horton was my favourite era......Playmakers like Rocastle, then Gaudino....and had he not been replaced he'd have had Gio.

A Horton team with Kinkladze in it would have been more enteratining than the Keegan's team.

It has to be Royle for me, purely for his rescue job.

Keegans side was the most pleasing on the eye. Ali B's back heel to Goater....Delish.

Prestwich_Blue said:
Len Rum said:
George Poyser was one hell of a manager.
Poyser was completely and utterly clueless. Les McDowall on the other hand was a good manager. 5-0 at the swamp in 1954/55.

Aye George was completely out of his depth as a manager (think Wilf McGuinness). Les was a canny manager, did OK but seemed to just run out of steam after 13 years.

Think Keegan for me cos of the sheer cavalier footy we played under him
That championship winning season was pure magic !!

Tony Book for me.

I've only read books about the likes of Wilf Wild and Magnall and the success they brought to the club, but Book really did build a powerful side. He brought some real class players in and gave youth it's chance as well. It was good to watch.

An own goal away from being champions, and European football on a regular basis.

Present day excepted, I've always maintained he brought the club the most consistent football in our history.

In terms of trophies (post Mercer) then only Book comes in with a shout with the league cup and runners up in the league in 2 successive seasons.

Keegan and Royle did have great sides, but two of those best seasons were in the 2nd tier of English footbball and one in the 3rd tier!

Horton's football was good to watch with the likes of Beagrie, Quinn, Rosler, Walsh etc - but the team just avoided relegation in both his seasons.

Kendal - I believe, might have won a trophy with City, FA Cup or League cup had he stayed, but the football wasn't pretty. Reid did well on the back of Kendal in 2 successive 5th places before losing the plot with Sam Ellis....

McNeill did fantastic on a shoestring, the shoestring that ultimately led him to leave for Villa after 7 games... and both City and Villa went down at the end of the season!

Machin and Ball I shall pass on.....

So back to the top, it's Tony Book for me (he also managed the Youth Team to the youth cup victory in 86 too ;)

John Bond - never warmed to the bloke, but his transformation of Malcolm's misfits by a few astute bargain signings was a quite astonishing turnaround.
Of the managers who had to make do with a playing staff of limited quality, I'd say McNeill showed himself to be a good manager. That's no disrespect to the blokes who played under McNeill. You were our heroes of that time.

All but Stuart Pearce!

Actually enjoyed some of our footy under Sven. I liked the pace we played at with him and sometimes wonder how he would have done with the Sheikh's resources.

If I have to get off the fence, .....Keegan

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.