Forgotten Away Days Days Number Two - QPR 93 FA Cup

Didsbury Dave

Following on from yesterdays Ewood thread, who was at this one?

It was the 4th round of the FA Cup in the days when it really meant something to us fans. We took a big following as always to Loftus Road which was always a great away day. A great pub outside, compact stadium and great acoustics.

City had the usual two tiers behind the goal when the bottom tier was standing but also a paddock up the side. It was sold out, probably around 6000 or so. I had no ticket and bought one from their ticket office for the seats next to the away fans. Once in there it was obvious there were hundreds of Blues around. We were singing and noone bothered us.

The atmosphere was superb and we suddenly went 2-0 up late in the game with 2 goals from David White if I remember. They got one back but we went on to win 2-1. The stadium was bouncing. All us blues in their seats were up dancing around. I remember coming out at the end and thusands of us marcing up the road singing the best football song ever, which can only be sung if you've won in the cup "We're on the march with Reidy's Army"

It was a top class away day - I had loads at Loftus Road, another ground where it always seemed an exciting game.

Was anyone at that one?

Yes I was at that one, like the OP I thought a visit to QPR was always a good day out, it'd be great if they came up this season. I thought Vonk scored one of the goals that day? We seemed to play QPR almost every season in one of the Cups at that time, I remember 2 midweek trips there in the League Cup in the 90s.

Had a couple of tremendous away days at Loftus Road - was the pub just outside it called the Springbok or summat? Too much ale and other recreationals cloud the memory.

I was at this game and if memory serves correct a load of us finished up on the pitch (we were all stood in the bottom left hand corner, if you were looking at the pitch with the rest of the City end behind you).

I believe th expression is 'bouncing'!

strongbowholic said:
Had a couple of tremendous away days at Loftus Road - was the pub just outside it called the Springbok or summat? Too much ale and other recreationals cloud the memory.

I was at this game and if memory serves correct a load of us finished up on the pitch (we were all stood in the bottom left hand corner, if you were looking at the pitch with the rest of the City end behind you).

I believe th expression is 'bouncing'!

Yeah, the Springbok was a great away fans pub. I remember being there one year and some Blues were stood on the table outside teaching everyone a song "Ryan Giggs ryan Giggs,takes it up the ring, Ryan Giggs Ryan Giggs he'll make your ringpiece sting" etc

I think you're right people ended up on the pitch after goal. Used to happen all the time in those days.

DD is this the one when a blue stood on the railings outside the springbok and sang City anthems in an operatic stylee all afternoon....I'd double dropped a couple of speckle doves on the coach down for this one so memories were somewhat scoobied.

BillyMC said:
DD is this the one when a blue stood on the railings outside the springbok and sang City anthems in an operatic stylee all afternoon....I'd double dropped a couple of speckle doves on the coach down for this one so memories were somewhat scoobied.

See above, Billy. I actually got to know the blue who stood on the table singing that Ryan Giggs song a few years later. DW was his initials. But I went there loads of times, can't remember if that was the FA Cup one.

If you'd done a couple of doves i'm surprised you weren't hugging all the cockneys, telling them you love their ground and that.

Didsbury Dave said:
BillyMC said:

See above, Billy. I actually got to know the blue who stood on the table singing that Ryan Giggs song a few years later. DW was his initials. But I went there loads of times, can't remember if that was the FA Cup one.

If you'd done a couple of doves i'm surprised you weren't hugging all the cockneys, telling them you love their ground and that.

Good days DD...spent the day gurning like Les Dawson...several people commented to my mates along the line of " what the fucks up with that idiot"

me and two mates went down on the early train that morning ,two off us had worked all night on the friday so we were up for a good day at the one off the best away grounds as said before great pubs. so by the time we got game we were well drunk and up for a laugh , well one off the lads ran on the pitch when david white scored the first as he ran up to him arm s open ready to give him a big man hug ,david white truned to him and said get the fk of the pitch. they where days .

BillyMC said:

He was a mate of mine, Vinnie was his name, a red haired chap. Not seen him for years, though. He loved singing Pavarotti-style City songs. The footie was crap but there were some great trips away back in the day.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.