Forgotten Clubs

Maidstone United. Rose from obscurity to play League football, 1989 - 92, before shooting themselves in the foot. The owner sold their ground as a prime redeveploment site, but without viable plans for an alternative. After a period of ground sharing in other towns, with dwindling attendances, they went tits up.

They have since re-formed, clawed their way up the minor leagues and are now in the National League - just one tier below the EFL.
Blimey i’d Forgotten about them...good spot, Sir B

Bradford Park Avenue now back in the National League North.

Here's one, York City - Currently in the National League North as well!
Yes indeed...i was doing teacher training in York 83 / 84....The Minstermen then in 2nd Div, beat Arsenal in the FA Cup....town went mad....drew Dippers in next round and got a draw at Bootham Crescent before defeat at Klnfield....heady days!

Darlington FC. Relegated to the 9th tier in 2012 but now fan owned and worked their way back up to Nat Lge Nth.

Not forgotten by me as I have always followed them alongside City.

Off to Bradford Park Avenue this season, looking forward to that as remember them as league club when I was a kid.
We had a lad at school (early 70s) who had somehow managed to source. A full Darlo kit...fair ply to him, given the piss that was taken

Altrincham FC - used to flirt with being allowed into the then old 4th Div but the ground wasn't up to scratch and they wouldn't pay for it. Currently sit top of the Evostick Premier League after successive relegations from some other obscure league. Went to see them away against Torquay Utd a couple of years ago with a mammoth away following of 83!
Alty are riddled with rags

Carlisle United - can remember being involved in a house clearance some years back and in a chest of drawers was a sheet of old newspaper dating from about 1973.
It showed the old Division 1 league table and i was pleasantly shocked to see them near the top of the table. :)
Really?

Must admit I like the Scottish tradition of not being able to tell where a club is based or only partially knowing from the club name: Hearts, Hibs, Raith, QoS, Sevco, St Mirren, Celtic etc. I think it's a bit of a shame that Morton felt the need to change, no one seems to call them Greenock Morton except the TV and radio.
Agreed..I used to love those puzzles and the immortal commentary gaff “they’ll be dancing in the streets of Raith tonight”

Not that long ago Wrexham were the best team in Wales, while Cardiff and Swansea were a league below and Newport nowhere to be seen.
Different landscape these days.
Very true ..and Wales games were being played at Wrexham...maybe also cos NWales is more footy than Rugby

Southport , remember beating them 3-0 at Haig Rd in front of a packed ground full of semi-scousers on the way to winning the 1970 league cup , they are only just down the road from me and ive been to a couple of games this season , a real shame where they are now and i would be surprised if they survive this pandemic situation. They have probably got around a thousand loyal fans a far cry from the 10k crammed into their ground 50 years ago.
I love that phrase Semi Scousers...I went out with a lass from Wirral And she couldn’t decide if she was scouse or Cheshire...she liked the idea of scouse but her parents were very ..We’re Cheshire...so I always addressed letters and pcs to this lass as Thigwall, Merseyside...her mum used to hate it

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.