Forum running slowly tonight

TCIB

Our servers, cause we just ddosed ourselves.

Evening ladies and gents,

As you probably found out just now we basically ddos'd ourselves with the ssn tevez thread and i cant help but think when it comes to match days now the site will be so hammered by requests that our current settup will crumble like giggs reputation.

Now we are of interest to many other football fans besides our own the site will only get more traffic, i pm'd ric regarding this and i have offered a number of my own gbit servers that are all on at minimum duel xeon quad core cpu's to help the site stay stable, my q is this...

If ric added a donation link for the site via paypal would you guys want to maybe help that way or would you be happy for me or others to donate hardware and bandwidth ?

As i understand we are hosted in the usa (so i read) but we could get a kick ass server from leaseweb or ovh for no more than a 100 quid a month who are both well routed multihomed .eu hosts with multiple datacentres and this would rid us of this hassle at times of high user requests.

I am posting this to help sort this issue now rather than users raging on match days with stuff like "omg this site is crap i cant get on" etc etc

Is it just me or did other people on here find it impossible to get on here this last hour? To be fair, it has improved a bit these last few minutes. But it seems to be a regular occurence every time there is a major news story about City. Would an annual subscription charge to access here (say £15) be popular? I can only speak for myself, but I wouldn't mind paying the money if it meant that better hardware could be bought to run the forum.

jimharri said:
Is it just me or did other people on here find it impossible to get on here this last hour? To be fair, it has improved a bit these last few minutes. But it seems to be a regular occurence every time there is a major news story about City. Would an annual subscription charge to access here (say £15) be popular? I can only speak for myself, but I wouldn't mind paying the money if it meant that better hardware could be bought to run the forum.
Couldn't agree more Jim......nightmare its becoming.

yup couldn't get on at all.

maybe just only let people who are signed in on, not sure if that would work?

Evening Jim,

I have made a threead on how we can stop this here <a class="postlink-local" href="http://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=225516" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=4&t=225516</a>

Also i explained just now in another thread why this happens in here <a class="postlink-local" href="http://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=225407" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=4&t=225407</a>

Hopefully we can resolve this soon :)

Agreed with all of the above. Bluemoon falls apart like a wetcake the second big news breaks and it's impossible to get on.

Serious question? The likes of Ragcafe and RAWK get far higher levels of people than Bluemoon does and yet if I ever fancy a glance on either it's problem free? Neither site is subscription based either as far as I'm aware?

Re: Our servers, cause we just ddosed ourselves.

Better to have a site that works well than one that's constantly on the blink. The current set up isn't really good enough, busy threads need have pages removed because they slow the site down, and when big news breaks or the sites really busy nobody can log on to discuss it. Whatever it takes, even if some members have to chip in with a few quid, I would.

TCIB said:
Evening Jim,

I have made a threead on how we can stop this here <a class="postlink-local" href="http://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=225516" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=4&t=225516</a>

Also i explained just now in another thread why this happens in here <a class="postlink-local" href="http://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=225407" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=4&t=225407</a>

Hopefully we can resolve this soon :)
Christ; someone who sounds like they know what they're talking about. A rarity (in any field!) on here, and yes, I do include myself!! There was something mentioned a while back after another very slow spell that it was something to do with the software used to run the site (?) and that another type of software could be used that would make the forum more reliable (similar to RAWK or RedCafe), but that it would mean post counts, histories etc would be lost. Don't know if there's anything in that?

Apologies for the slow performance tonight, but obviously we can't legislate for major breaking news such as Tevez's statement.

You'll have noticed that generally the performance is much improved recently, and it won't be an issue on match days in future as we can upgrade our capacity accordingly. The difference is that we know when games are going to happen, but obviously we don't know when our captain is going to hand in (another) transfer request.

Ironically Damocles suggested increasing the capacity today for the announcement of the Clichy signing, but I didn't think we'd get a huge spike in traffic just because everyone knew he was going to sign, which we didn't. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but it's harder to plan for unforeseen events.

For the record, sites such as RAWK and Red Cafe also suffer problems during big spikes in traffic, so it's not a problem unique to Bluemoon. As mentioned in the past, a donation service will not fix the issue and isn't something we want to do regardless.

Anyway, everything seems to be running fine again now as I've increased the capacity, apologies again for the downtime.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.