Forum suggestions and feedback

One of the other things I've been thinking about is the player threads. There is a logical argument for keeping everything relating to a player (or even the manager) contained in one thread, but it feels a bit formulaic to me, and as a result the forum lacks the spontaneity and randomness that used to be part of its character. It'd be interesting to hear people's thoughts on this.

Partially related to that, post-match threads I find tend to be best avoided, due to the mad merging. If you have a specific point; let's say we didn't score from 20+ corners in a game, and you posted a 'our corners today' thread, within a few minutes it's merged in the post-match, the point is lost and it's awash in the sea of everything else post-match wise.

Similarly, let's say someone has a particulary good/bad match, a thread about them for that match - merged and lost amongst them being slagged off for the past 6 months.

Partially related to that, post-match threads I find tend to be best avoided, due to the mad merging. If you have a specific point; let's say we didn't score from 20+ corners in a game, and you posted a 'our corners today' thread, within a few minutes it's merged in the post-match, the point is lost and it's awash in the sea of everything else post-match wise.

Similarly, let's say someone has a particulary good/bad match, a thread about them for that match - merged and lost amongst them being slagged off for the past 6 months.

Wouldn't this be solved by properly naming the thread titles to accurately reflect their content?

Wouldn't this be solved by properly naming the thread titles to accurately reflect their content?
People do, but in the hours after a match (when frothing and hand wringing is at its strongest, granted) seemingly EVERYTHING is a merge-target.

That's tosh Colin and this is the usual navalgazing that this forum seems to go through every 18 months.

And a swear filter like 'fecking' red cafe or 'word removed' Villatalk whilst talking of not sanitising the forum.... I think you'd lose far more posters if you child proofed the forum like that.

Simple question, and I'm sure @Damocles will have the answers, is the website traffic down now on 12 months ago? On three years ago? The forum is no different from how it was at any time since I've know it at least.

And if I went off anecdotal evidence of posters being put off posting on here (off topic) and going to join another forum, you'd be right up there as a main culprit if I listened to them, which I don't.
No one's talking about sanitising the forum Sam, certainly not in the way you're making out.

I think the problem is that you (and I'd include JMW as well) are looking at it from the point of view of an experienced user who understand the vibe of the place and probably gets a fair bit of leeway because of that. I don't want to use the word "clique" but there's a core of users that post a lot, know each other (if not personally then on here) and can take the piss or have a go at each other as required. But if you're a new or less regular user then it can be intimidating. For that last comment (very fetlocks-like I might add) had someone else said it, I might have taken it the wrong way but we know each other pretty well, friends even, and we can say things to each other in the way friends can. Sometimes you (and I) over-step the mark but generally you make a positive contribution and are well able to hold your own. But there are some who regularly over-step the mark or who just take a delight in winding others up.

As mods we want this to be a lively and vibrant place, where people feel able to voice genuine, well though-out opinions but at the moment, many of us have serious concerns about aspects of the way the forum is. We all love this place but we see a lot of shit you never get to see and we all feel that we need to try to do something. The Matchday Forum is a case in point and there's even a view that we just get rid of it altogether as it creates so many problems for us. But we recognise that people want to vent their feelings, particularly after a performance as infuriating as the one on Wednesday. All we're asking is that people post responsibly, with respect for other users and the people they're talking about, not that they only post the most anodyne or inoffensive opinions. That's all.

Posters like you should have nothing to worry about. It's the wums, trolls, dick-heads and serial abusers that we want to weed out, not those with robust but constructive views and criticisms.

No one's talking about sanitising the forum Sam, certainly not in the way you're making out.

I think the problem is that you (and I'd include JMW as well) are looking at it from the point of view of an experienced user who understand the vibe of the place and probably gets a fair bit of leeway because of that. I don't want to use the word "clique" but there's a core of users that post a lot, know each other (if not personally then on here) and can take the piss or have a go at each other as required. But if you're a new or less regular user then it can be intimidating. For that last comment (very fetlocks-like I might add) had someone else said it, I might have taken it the wrong way but we know each other pretty well, friends even, and we can say things to each other in the way friends can. Sometimes you (and I) over-step the mark but generally you make a positive contribution and are well able to hold your own. But there are some who regularly over-step the mark or who just take a delight in winding others up.

As mods we want this to be a lively and vibrant place, where people feel able to voice genuine, well though-out opinions but at the moment, many of us have serious concerns about aspects of the way the forum is. We all love this place but we see a lot of shit you never get to see and we all feel that we need to try to do something. The Matchday Forum is a case in point and there's even a view that we just get rid of it altogether as it creates so many problems for us. But we recognise that people want to vent their feelings, particularly after a performance as infuriating as the one on Wednesday. All we're asking is that people post responsibly, with respect for other users and the people they're talking about, not that they only post the most anodyne or inoffensive opinions. That's all.

Posters like you should have nothing to worry about. It's the wums, trolls, dick-heads and serial abusers that we want to weed out, not those with robust but constructive views and criticisms.
Appreciate the reply Colin and glad you didn't take it the wrong way as it wasn't intended that way when I wrote it (though on easing back I could understand if it seemed me having a go). Being Fetlocks-esque is a funny one though, not sure if I should be proud or apologetic.

I can see where you're coming from about every point you raise. The match day thread I used to avoid like the plague, as I did the main forum after a loss, if anything now I read it as its fairly cathartic to read other people screaming and shouting at the same things I am (the disconnect from being at the game and shouting to the dog that bringing Fernando on in the 91st minute to shore up a 2-1 is fucking idiotic isn't the same as venting pitch side).

Seeing ric talk of negativity today, I clicked on a few of the player threads and it was an eye opener hearing that Silva's overhead (mis)kick "summed him up" actually made me agree with ric on that point for a start, there's a difference between critiquing something and taking the piss.

Best of luck to the mods trying to sort it out unless we get the promised upturn in form before Pep arrives.

It's the wums, trolls, dick-heads and serial abusers that we want to weed out, not those with robust but constructive views and criticisms.

Reading this makes me feel hesitation before posting... Am I offending? I most certainly am as many people will agree with one's views, yet there's always at least someone who will take offense.

People just need reminding... Put a picture of Mancini and Pellers holding the Prem trophy at the top....
Who gives a shit if we get relegated now?
We won it
Happy Days.

I tend to agree with this too, the post match threads now are dreadful, you simply can't give a proper opinion any more, as one line (often abusive) replies soon render it pointless, and its impossible to mod properly as it jumps 2 or 3 pages (5 when we lose) before you get a chance to catch up. The post Everton game was the worst I've seen.

Appreciate the reply Colin and glad you didn't take it the wrong way as it wasn't intended that way when I wrote it (though on easing back I could understand if it seemed me having a go). Being Fetlocks-esque is a funny one though, not sure if I should be proud or apologetic.

I can see where you're coming from about every point you raise. The match day thread I used to avoid like the plague, as I did the main forum after a loss, if anything now I read it as its fairly cathartic to read other people screaming and shouting at the same things I am (the disconnect from being at the game and shouting to the dog that bringing Fernando on in the 91st minute to shore up a 2-1 is fucking idiotic isn't the same as venting pitch side).

Seeing ric talk of negativity today, I clicked on a few of the player threads and it was an eye opener hearing that Silva's overhead (mis)kick "summed him up" actually made me agree with ric on that point for a start, there's a difference between critiquing something and taking the piss.

Best of luck to the mods trying to sort it out unless we get the promised upturn in form before Pep arrives.

Speak for yourself Col, I'm banning the twat first chance I get.

I tend to agree with this too, the post match threads now are dreadful, you simply can't give a proper opinion any more, as one line (often abusive) replies soon render it pointless, and its impossible to mod properly as it jumps 2 or 3 pages (5 when we lose) before you get a chance to catch up. The post Everton game was the worst I've seen.
ban.jpg

That's all fine and well, but you clearly didn't read my post, we're trying to have a constructive discussion, and that isn't constructive imho.

The biggest issue is its actually impossible to keep up with, and none of us have the time to give, to go wading through pages and pages of complete shit just deleting posts. The significant issue is that people need to stop posting shit in the first place.

When players like KdB, and Silva are getting abused, its time to log out, and that's my issue with it. Fine to say if they're not playing well, and offer it as an opinion, or suggest reasons for it, but just posting xxxx is wank, and yyyy is a c*nt, is neither useful, nor interesting. Half the time some of the stuff posted isn't correct anyway, there were plenty of observations to make about Silva the other night for instance, some positive, some negative, didn't see many posted though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.